Author Topic: Jonathan Frid and Crypts  (Read 10627 times)

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Frid and Crypts
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 01:37:11 AM »
Wasn't last year the 40th anniversary?
Cousin, we think they're referring to the 40th anniversary of the arrival of Barnabas.
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 02:03:45 AM »
Wasn't last year the 40th anniversary? 

Jonathan first appearance is April 18th 1967, it is his 40th anniversary!

A day that will be remembered.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 02:52:48 AM »
Does anyone know if Jonathan will do a dual panel with Lara like he did at his last Fest, 1993?? That was a BIG hit with the attendees there--it is so exciting that he will be there!!  Believe me, I could just go to a one day event with him and Lara and be happy, LOL!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 03:07:06 AM »
Does anyone know if Jonathan will do a dual panel with Lara like he did at his last Fest, 1993?? That was a BIG hit with the attendees there--it is so exciting that he will be there!!  Believe me, I could just go to a one day event with him and Lara and be happy, LOL!!

All that is in the process of being worked out. :D

Nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 03:20:23 AM »
Yes, it's the 40th anniversary of the arrival of Barnabas. Jonathan's webmaster has uploaded a clip from DS on JF's website to mark the occasion - http://www.jonathanfrid.com

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 04:18:51 AM »
How exciting! I'm glad that he chose to attend this fest. Hopefully everyone will be on their bestest behavior and use discresion.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2007, 04:38:22 AM »
Hopefully everyone will be on their bestest behavior and use discresion.

I'll try, but...
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2007, 08:33:14 AM »
Awesome! I hope I get to say hi. 
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2007, 09:24:49 AM »
I remember seeing Michelangelo's Pieta at the New York World's Fair in 1965.  We stood on a conveyor belt and were moved past the statue, which seemed quite far away from my 10-year-old self.  Perhaps that's how Mr. Frid should be viewed this August.  I'm sure somebody could dig up a dead doxy for him to hold.

I didn't know Michelangelo liked Spanish food.  Anyway, I enjoyed this.    I wonder why we don't have holographic imaging technology ready for this yet, heavens to betsy.   I seem to be expressing myself strangely.  Anyway, I was seven at the NY WF, and everyone smoked, so when I got lost by myself in the crowd for awhile, people's dangling lit cigarettes kept burning me on the arm.    I remember Iranian rugs hanging from the ceiling, and some Pakistani teenage girl gave me a nice decorative plate. 

What should the musical accompaniment be, for the Frid viewing?     Ride of the Valkyries (sp?) or I'm Henry the Eighth I Am, I'm thinking.   DS theme, too obvious.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline darkshadowsrick

• "Lara Parkers' best photographer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2007, 10:25:38 AM »
I kept wondering when I was hearing Jonathan Frid might be coming this year, why this year and not last?  Then it made sense while I was reading these comments, he didn't start on the show until 1967.  So, 40 years of Barnabas would be this year!  I'm a little slow, lol........This will be quite an event if it all comes off. I really never thought that Jonathan would ever attend another festival.  I'm a little surprised at the location, though.  The hotel in Tarrytown is a little smaller, I seem to remember.  I would think that this will be a 'huge' event with him coming.  And yes, I agree with the person who said we had better be on our best behavior!  I'm sure we will be told ahead of time---I doubt there will be autographs, they will undoubtedly restrict video recording, like last year, ect.  And Jonathan is 82, or 83, and at times has seemed to be a bit testy, even I saw it in 1993.  So, yes, we all best be on our best behavior!  But I am so greatful he is coming..........
darkshadowsrick
rick hatch

Offline Elmont

• Full Poster
  • The more I live the less I judge
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2007, 01:53:42 AM »
 I just want to hug the old dude. But not too tight of course.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2007, 05:57:17 AM »
I'm picturing you walking down a corridor toward him, saying with your arms outstretched, "Give me a hug, old dude!"   ...while security scrambles.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2007, 06:08:52 AM »
Brandon, I, too hope people attending the Fest will be respectful of Jonathan, too, and just appreciate the fact he is again attending a Fest.  I am curious as to what made JF decide to come back to a Fest, and aren't we glad he did.  One concern I do have is that the fact he coming back to the Fests after so long a gap that it may cause a frenzy among a minority of fans and that they try to follow JF around and stuff...some of you may remember the somewhat off fan that made some strange comments to KLS when she was onstage, so I hope there will be enough Fest volunteers around to make sure things that go smoothly.  Jonathan is in great shape for his age, and how great to start an endeavor like his website at his age, but he is 82, hard though that is to accept sometimes.  I think Jonathan gets around great in his hometown, but I do have a concern about him driving 7 hours from Hamilton to Tarrytown, but then, doesn't the Fest usually fly the out of town guests in anyway??

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2007, 03:26:16 PM »
This is really exciting news!  Hope I can make it!
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Elmont

• Full Poster
  • The more I live the less I judge
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2007, 11:27:42 PM »
I'm picturing you walking down a corridor toward him, saying with your arms outstretched, "Give me a hug, old dude!"   ...while security scrambles.

When you picture this do I get my hug from Jonathan before security pounds my face into the carpet?

All kidding aside, I'm sure that the fans will have the utmost respect for Mr.Frid. We're not those teenage kids anymore. As far as having enough security I'm sure most fans would protect Jonathan as if he were the president of the US.  Well maybe George Bush is a bad choice but you know what I mean.