Author Topic: Did they or didn't they? (Was Re: Episode #0496)  (Read 3398 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Did they or didn't they? (Was Re: Episode #0496)
« on: February 15, 2007, 05:08:46 AM »
From Caption This! - Year 2:
Cassandra: It was an honest mistake, Roger, please don't take it personally.

Roger: How can I NOT?! You called out Barnabas' name while we were finally making love!

I get the impression that that never happened!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Did they or didn't they?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 08:11:16 PM »
I get the impression that that never happened!
I wondered that too. I know Roger did say that they had never taken a honeymoon. I can't imagine Roger being sucha a wuss that he would have done the deed at least once in all the time they were married.
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 09:33:23 PM »
It's not necessarily a matter of Roger being a wuss. Remember that Cassandra was drugging Roger - possibly not just to keep him enthralled but perhaps also to avoid such things.  ;)

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 11:30:51 PM »
It's not necessarily a matter of Roger being a wuss. Remember that Cassandra was drugging Roger - possibly not just to keep him enthralled but perhaps also to avoid such things.  ;)

That's right. She was slipping him a mickey every night. I think they never did the deed, and she was able to avoid that honeymoon by [spoiler]faking spraining her ankle[/spoiler]

I can't imagine Roger being such a wuss that he would have done the deed at least once in all the time they were married.

I can.  ;)

Alondra

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Did they or didn't they? (Was Re: Episode #0496)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 01:31:48 AM »
i seem to recall a scene towards the end of the storyline where roger and cassandra are playing chess.

roger,becoming increasingly weary of his distant wife's coldness,implies that indeed the marriage was never consummated.i can believe it.

b.t.w. i always felt that the writers used roger as a convenient "device" in order to get cassandra into collinwood.the storyline wasn't really about them at all and they actually shared few scenes for a married couple.i was somewhat disappointed by that.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 06:08:45 AM »
I always thought of Roger as being discreetly gay anyways .
He shows no intrest in Laura when she 's around . He married her after the hit and run accident . It seemed to me like he married her to [spoiler]keep her quiet , and also possibly he wanted her becasue she "belonged" to Burke .[/spoiler] Really , I always though that Roger had a thing for Burke . Some of their scenes in the first year are pretty slashy .
Angelique used magic to get him to marry her , and their relationship is pretty distant . I can't beleive Angelique would consent to having sex with Roger , she seems very picky about her partners . Barnabas , anytime , anywhere . Sky , of course . Even Quentin I can believe she may have slept with . But Roger ? No way.
And then once Cassangelique is gone Roger shows no sexual /romantic intrest inanyone . And of course LE was openly gay , so his persona does bleed over into Roger somewhat . At the very least Roger was metrosexual before the concept was popularized .

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 03:16:37 PM »
Was Louis really gay?

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 03:37:05 PM »
Yes, in the later years of his life Luis Edmonds was openly gay . From what I 've read he was open with his castmate friends even back during DS , hosting parties at his weekend home with his partner at the time . Joan Bennett was a frequent houseguest of Louis and his partner .

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 03:56:50 PM »
I always thought of Roger as being discreetly gay anyways .
Heh, that might go some way in explaining why he drank so much.  He'd done the family duty and pounded out a puppy ...

[spoiler]I guess David's resemblance to Daniel and Jamison kind of puts paid to suspicion that David was Burke's son that was hinted at the time [/spoiler]

so Roger is seen to be a "fine upstanding Collins" but feels he cannot act on his desires...?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 06:15:51 PM »
even though "such things" were not openly discussed in those days(and certainly not written into a soap opera)it is possible to read a gay subtext into the character of roger.perhaps it's more something louis edmonds brought to the role than how the character was written.perhaps it's a combination of the two.

still there are alot of "cliches" with roger.these are all of course stereotypes but there's a foppishness to him,he drinks heavily,he has a bitchiness to him,a catty relationship with his sister,unsuccessful relationships with women.

i never really thought about him having a "thing" for burke but in his obsessivness towards him it's possible to read that into it.

i remember finding "parallel time roger" to have a particularly gay subtext to him.his infatuation with angelique didn't seem sexual but more the type of thing gay men often develop for glamorous,bitchy women.

again i know these are all "cliches" but let's say it takes one to know one. ;)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 11:59:23 PM »
I could maybe buy Roger being gay but I don't believe he was ever attracted to Burke, at least not after the whole [spoiler]manslaughter mess and Burke being sent to prison.[/spoiler] They hated each other's guts from that moment on.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 03:19:22 AM »
I always had my own idea of how the Burke/Roger falling out went down :
Roger made a fumbling drunken pass , Burke rejected him rudely , but wrote the whole thing off as a drunken misunderstanding . A spurned Roger accepted Laura's intrest just to [spoiler]take her away from Burke, and when the drunk driving hit and run happed , Roger still vengedul , framed Burke to save his own skin .[/spoiler]
Sure Roger hated Burke , but there's a thin line y'know.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 07:31:15 AM »
I don't like reading too much into someone's manner, because it assumes people fall into simple predictable categories, and I hate that idea.

The character of Roger could just have been hetero and stuffy, or gay but in denial.     Ultra-correct Roger would not have had a clue about it himself, or would have supressed it to whatever extent is possible, by force of will, as a matter of misguided pride, considering his obsession for "correctness", and the times.

PT Roger?   Gay as all get-out, whatever that means.   Maybe not Joshua.

Sometimes I think I have too many opinions on too many things.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 02:26:01 PM »
I agree that PT Roger was all out gay . Check out hose ascots lol !
And I really think of Joshua as being straight . I found his relationship with Naomi in late 1795 to be touching . I also though after Naomi's death that Natalie would 've made a very interesting second wife for Joshua.
Edward ? He seemed pretty smitten with Kitty .
Daniel ? Don't really know there , I guess that could go either way .

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 06:06:32 PM »
Was Louis really gay?

Yes, he was, in Craig Hamrick's book "Barnabas and Company" he tells us who was gay. And he also wrote a book about Louis Edmonds called "Big Lou." I haven't read that book but it probably deals with this subject.

I don't know about Roger's character being discreetly gay but there is some reason why I never imagined him with Julia when people would bring up the subject of who besides Barnabas would have been a good man for Julia. I've always thought of the professor. Someone on one of the lists said, what about Roger? and I thought to myself why did that never occur to me? He lived right there in the same house so why not? Maybe because somewhere in the back of my mind I was thinking that in spite of two marriages he really was gay.

As for parallel time Roger, no doubt about it. Maybe the fascination with Angelique was not a sexual attraction, but he did say he had loved her from the first. I dunno.

Joshua, Edward and Daniel, no, I don't get the same vibes. Joshua was a male chauvinist but not gay. Edward seemed to have a genuine attraction to Kitty. Daniel was portrayed as a very old man (which I could never understand since he was probably no older than 55. If he was around 10 in 1795, he'd be 55 in 1840, surely no more than 57 at the very most so why do they treat him like some old man, as old as Ben?

Roger and Burke? No way. Burke would have flattened him.

Alondra