Author Topic: Boris Karloff: The Man Behind the Monster  (Read 626 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Boris Karloff: The Man Behind the Monster
« on: January 27, 2022, 09:19:17 PM »
WORTH WATCHING: ...Remembering Boris Karloff, ...

"Shudder offers a profile of horror-movie icon Boris Karloff."

Boris Karloff: The Man Behind the Monster
DOCUMENTARY PREMIERE  Shudder
A new documentary, timed to celebrate Frankenstein’s 90th anniversary last November, profiles the British actor (born William Pratt) who became an international cinema icon when he transformed into the Monster in James Whale’s 1931 masterpiece. Karloff was also the first Mummy for Universal in 1932, and decades later would create another indelible role as the narrator and voice of the Grinch in the animated 1966 perennial How the Grinch Stole Christmas! Karloff laced his menacing persona with an unusual dignity, and his influence is still felt by the likes of Guillermo del Toro, Roger Corman and John Landis, among the many interviewed for the film.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: Boris Karloff: The Man Behind the Monster
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 10:44:26 PM »
MB,

I remember the film, “Gods and Monsters,” a biography of British director James Whale, who directed the great Boris Karloff in “Frankenstein” and “The Bride of Frankenstein.” Sir Ian McKellen, who portrays James Whale, tells one of his friends in the film that the gentlemanly Mr. Karloff was one of the most boring men he ever met.

It’s interesting that Mr. Karloff was very successful in making tv commercials, guest appearances on comedy shows, etc., while Bela Lugosi, with his thick Hungarian accent, never got the financial opportunities that Boris Karloff enjoyed. Apparently, Mr. Karloff’s mastery of the King’s English made him a natural for other gigs in the US.  [3843]

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 11:46:59 PM »
I just happened to purchase a set of The Red Skelton Hour episodes in color recently and one had Boris Karloff and Vincent Price from Sept 68 - just a few months before he passed. In the skit, he played an inventor who thought he developed a real working robot .. but it turned out to be Clem Kadiddlehopper. Boris got some laughs and he also did a song later with Vincent Price. He seemed pretty energetic and able to deal with Skelton and his ad libbing.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 12:56:37 AM »
Around Halloween, I stumbled across a 1950's clip from the Dinah Shore Show. It's a Halloween episode with Dinah, Boris, Art Carney and Betty Hutton. The ladies are dressed as Vampira (!!!) and they do a pretty hilarious version of the classic song by The Diamonds, Little Darling. The clip is on YouTube and it's definitely worth a look
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 01:26:55 AM »
 [pointing-up]  That clip is a HUGE hoot!! Art Carney is almost unrecognizable. And they're all so into it, even if Dinah breaks near the end. But hey, if Carol Burnett could occasionally break and get away with it, so should Dinah...

Thanks so much for posting about it, Uncle Roger. [snow_smiley]

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 01:44:14 AM »
I just noticed the Skelton show with Karloff is also on youtube.

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 04:35:58 AM »
Regarding the filming of “The Bride of Frankenstein,” there’s a great photograph of actors Boris Karloff, Colin Clive, Elsa Lanchester, Ernest Thesiger and director James Whale, sitting around the film set of Dr. Frankenstein’s laboratory. Mr. Karloff is made up in his Frankenstein monster makeup; Ms. Lanchester is made up as the monster’s “bride,” with her distinctive white “wings” (long before Paulie Walnuts sported his striking white sideburn “wings” on “The Sopranos”) and Ernest Thesiger, attired as the flamboyant mad scientist, Dr. Pretorius. They’re all enjoying the traditional British cup of afternoon tea.

That’s kind of like Barnabas, Dr. Hoffman, Adam, Eve, Dr. Lang and Willie Loomis all enjoying a cup of coffee around the operating table in the Old House basement!  [xmas-snowball]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 01:47:22 PM »
That’s kind of like Barnabas, Dr. Hoffman, Adam, Eve, Dr. Lang and Willie Loomis all enjoying a cup of coffee around the operating table in the Old House basement!  [xmas-snowball]

Now THAT would have been a hoot!!  [snow_laugh]

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 07:35:33 PM »
This discussion of the late, great Boris Karloff reminded me of seeing Mr. Karloff as a very young kid in the 1963 horror/comedy film, “The Raven,” along with Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, horror queen Hazel Court and a very young Jack Nicholson (the pride of Neptune, NJ).

I remember my father drove my younger brother and I, along with a bunch of our friends, to see the movie at a local theater on a January 1964 Saturday morning. The theater was packed with kids, mostly loud and eager boys.

The film, a parody of Edgar Allan Poe’s poem, “The Raven,” starts with a good 16th century sorcerer, Dr. Erasmus Craven (the great Vincent Price) lamenting the apparent death of his beautiful wife, Lenore (Hazel Court). A small raven flies into Dr. Craven’s room and the doctor, believing that ravens can sometimes predict the future, begs the raven to tell him if he will ever see his beloved wife again. “How the hell should I know!?”replies the testy raven (voiced by former Mr. Moto veteran actor, Peter Lorre). When Peter Lorre exclaimed the word, hell, all of the kids in the theater screamed out in shock and amusement! I mean, that was an offensive word way back in 1964. (my mother told me that everyone shouted out in surprise, when Clark Gable told Vivien Leigh in the conclusion of “Gone With The Wind,” in 1939, “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.”

The raven is actually another wizard, named Dr. Aldolphus Bedlo, who had been transformed into a raven by the evil sorcerer, Dr. Scarabus, portrayed by Boris Karloff. (Sort of like how Angelique changed Joshua Collins into a cat; I wonder if Dan Curtis later “borrowed” that idea from “The Raven”?)

Anyway, in order to try and transform Dr. Bedlo back into his human form, Dr. Craven goes down into the family basement crypt (sort of like the Collins Family Mausoleum) to cut a needed lock of his long-deceased father’s hair to use in the attempt to transform the raven back into Dr. Bedlo.

When Dr. Craven opens the coffin to cut his dead father’s hair, his father opens his eyes, reaches up to grab his son’s arm and says, “Beware!” before closing his eyes for good. Let me tell you, the kids in the theater all screamed out when that dead father reached up and grabbed Vincent Price’s arm! Twelve years later, when Sissy Spacek’s bloody arm reached out of her grave to grab Amy Irving’s arm in Stephen King’s film adaptation, “Carrie,” with everyone screaming in that movie theater, I immediately remembered that shocking scene in “The Raven.”

Eventually, after Dr. Craven discovers that his wife, Lenore, is still alive and has been two-timing him with the evil Dr. Scarbarys, the two sorcerers engage in a battle of spells, incantations and psychic projections which was very cool then, but later seemed quite formulaic when Barnabas and Angelique engaged in a similar supernatural battle in Tim Burton’s mezza-mezza 2012 DS film. Thankfully, Dr. Craven prevails and Dr. Scarbarus and the philandering Mrs. Lenore Craven are crushed to death when Scarbarus’ castle collapsed down on them. Fine!

You know, I wonder if “The Raven,” “The Pit and the Pendulum,” starring Vincent Price and a very young and beautiful Barbara Steele, along with all of the other wonderfully campy Roger Corman “Quicky” horror films of the early to mid-1960s, helped to set the stage for the eventual coming of the beloved “Dark Shadows” in
1966?

Anyway, I hope that Annie up in upstate New York, Uncle Roger in Connecticut, MB and the long-too-absent Gothick up in Massachusetts, are all well-stocked and prepared for tonight’s/Saturday’s blizzard, set to hit the North-East states in a few hours. Personally, I’m well-stocked and prepared to watch my old Sci-Fi Channel vhs tapes of DS until the storm subsides.

Bob, who’s getting way-too-old, like the venerable Ezra Braithwaite, to shovel any more God-d@mned snow at
this point in life.  [snowball-fight]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 08:19:19 PM »
I just returned from the local Stop & Shop. I got two bags of essentials, as well as some delicious non-essentials. I'm inside for the duration. It's already started snowing here. Nothing too heavy and it's not sticking yet. The forecast has changed several times and will probably change a times more before it's over.

Stay inside. Stay safe. And good luck all!!!

[evil-snowman] [evil-snowman] [evil-snowman]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 08:58:59 PM »
Yeah, I hit the local Shop-Rite this morning and bought more milk, bread, Healthy Choice frozen dinners, apples and bananas and, regretfully, Grade-A American junk food: Cheezitz, pretzels, chips, etc., all the stuff that Sam Evans and Professor Stokes undoubtedly liked to nosh on during cold Maine winter nights.

Incidentally, I wonder if Mrs. Stoddard and Barnabas shelled out to buy decent snow-blowers for Willie and David (?) to clear all of the snow in front of the Old House and Collinwood? No doubt, Bob Rooney would be cursing out the approaching snow storm, in that it would severely cut down on weekend business at the Blue Whale.

Finally, I hope the Eagle Hill Cemetery Caretaker still has enough sense to stay indoors and NOT venture out in the cemetery during the white out.  [ibkR4ZH]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2022, 04:46:05 AM »
When I was a wee, widdo kid, the one show that absolutely terrified me, more so than The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits (and both gave me nightmares which is why my mom forbade their viewing, even though I found ways around her prohibition), was Boris Karloff's Thriller.  It was so terrifying (at least to a kid), that if I accidentally came across it during the opening credits, I'd shriek and turn the channel (when TVs had knobs) before I ever glimpsed anything.

And you all Nord-ners enjoy your snow storm!  I live in eastern Wisconsin along Lake Michigan, and so far this winter we haven't had enough snow to even bother a field mouse.  Outside my window is more brown lawn than white fluff.

Gerard

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2022, 05:31:52 AM »
Oh, yeah, Gerard, I remember watching the late Brandon deWilde in a “Thriller” episode, entitled, “Pigeons From Hell,” with my younger brother. It scared the heck out of us, even more than watching Norman Bates in “Psycho.”

Many of those “Thriller” episodes are on You Tube. I watched “Pigeons From Hell” with commentary by a writer and it still freaked me out. What was the witch’s name? Oh, yeah, Eula Lee! Think of Angelique at about age 200.  [snow_mad]

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2022, 07:45:05 AM »
For a while MeTV was showing "Thriller," so I must have seen them all at least 3 times.  They stopped it and more recently have been doing Hitchcock, but quite likely could bring it back.  If they do, I'll post it.  I remember the one you're referring to.  It was good, but overall I wasn't wild about it - liked a lot of the others more.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2022, 04:23:59 PM »
I just returned from the local Stop & Shop. I got two bags of essentials, as well as some delicious non-essentials. I'm inside for the duration.

Half the fun of these storms is battening down and eating "non-essentials". [snow_wink] [snow_cheesy]

It's already started snowing here. Nothing too heavy and it's not sticking yet.

It's funny because when I went to bed early this morning the snow had already been falling for about 5 hours but it was only sticking to the sidewalks and cars but not the road or grass. Supposedly, according to the weather people, we have 9 inches so far. And I say "supposedly" because all my windows are covered with snow and I can't even see outside. Though later on I may actually open the outside door and look outside...