Author Topic: RIP Sydney Pollack: Directed DS Actors  (Read 843 times)

David

RIP Sydney Pollack: Directed DS Actors
« on: May 27, 2008, 06:09:14 PM »
Farewell to the great actor/director Sydney Pollack, who died of cancer yesterday at age 73.

Two of his best films as director were The Way We Were (1973), in which Robert Gerringer had a small role.

He also directed a very evil Addison Powell in the superb thriller Three Days of the Condor (1975)

RIP

David

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Sydney Pollack: Directed DS Actors
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 03:37:10 AM »
He also directed John Beal in "The Firm," Beal's last movie role, and John Harkins in "Absence of Malice."

Pollack had memorable scenes opposite Lysette Anthony (older man moves in with young fitness instructor after the breakup of his marriage) in Woody Allen's "Husbands and Wives."

And he's been mentioned in relation to Barbara Steele's career, but not in a good way.  Apparently the role of Alice in "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" was written for her until Pollack took over and he changed and recast the part.

I wouldn't be surprised if in his long and celebrated career there were still other occasions in which he crossed paths with DS alumni.

David

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 04:08:59 PM »
I am such a Woody Allen fan!
How could I have forgotten about Pollack, Anthony, and their WONDERFUL scenes in Husbands & Wives!
What magic they made as an hilariously mis-matched couple!

David

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 04:45:41 PM »
Wondered where you were David... new job I guess.    I'm assembling a nice Woody Allen collection.    First film I ever saw on my own: "Take the Money and Run", where what really got me and stuck in my head was when he was testing a new drug and it temporarily turned him into a rabbi!    Not a joke most 10-year-olds would go for generally (especially non-Jewish ones), but then again, I was me....

Sydney Pollack... big name I should know more about, now that I'm more film-oriented.     I seem to be familiarizing myself with all the greats through reading their obituaries.    Life, don't talk to me about life.....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor