Author Topic: Buffy Creator's Comments on New WB DS  (Read 1897 times)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Buffy Creator's Comments on New WB DS
« on: January 19, 2004, 03:46:32 PM »
During a recent panel session at an industry event to plug the WB, Buffy creator Joss Whedon was asked about the proposed DS pilot. His comments are in an article from the Alameda Times-Star.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Buffy Creator's Comments on New WB DS
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 06:54:20 PM »
LOVE his response.  Thanks, MC!

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 05:25:42 AM »
What a hoot, but you got to admit that WB CEO dropped the ball on that. And hey why wasn't Josh's publist up on this. It WAS announced in TV Guide!

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 05:39:09 AM »
The Sci-Fi Channel had a bit more to say on the story on their site yesterday. Click here.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 05:31:07 PM »
wonder if it will really happen and how this series will begin!
with all the junk on tv maybe we could use a new DS!

jennifer
as for his comment on Toy Story it is one of the few kids
movies i can watch again LOL
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 09:42:47 PM »
Someone on another message board posted this link to a site about the "new DS."  http://www.barnabasundead.com/mausoleum.htm

So far, it sounds like the same-old, same-old plot treatment in a new year, but then again there's no telling how accurate the information is, and since the whole pilot is tentative, details could change.

ProfStokes 

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 06:11:31 AM »
The DS 2004 site appears to be a sub-site of KryptonSite.   It doesn't look official.  I think the main tie to the KryptonSite is the writer Mark Verheiden and the fact it's a WB show.  Also, seems the webmasters are fans.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004, 07:06:19 AM »
It doesn't look official.

Stated below the spoilers:  Dark Shadows and its characters are copyright ©Dan Curtis Productions. This is a fan site and not authorized by the WB or anyone affiliated with the series.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 04:26:09 PM »
Thanks for the link MsCryside....

qu'est ce c'est 'uberproducer'??

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 07:14:35 PM »
qu'est ce c'est 'uberproducer'??

Well, that's a word form that's ripped from German, so you shouldn't ask in French.  ;)

Uber means over, above, etc. One of the more famous uses of it is Nietzsche's idea of the ubermensch. Mensch means man, so ubermensch is someone who rises above the normal limits of a man, like a superman. When you see uber plugged in front of a word, you can substitute the word super and get the same basic meaning, though this is all a bit of an oversimplification and not really a suitable topic for this forum.

I'll send you my bill.  :-*

Offline DarkShadowyFigure

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 10:43:07 PM »
Well there goes my theory that this time around Victoria Collins would be the vampire set loose from her coffin and Barnabas Winters would bear a striking resemblence to a Joseph DuPree.  :D

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2004, 12:28:56 AM »
Victoria Collins would be the vampire set loose from her coffin and Barnabas Winters would bear a striking resemblence to a Joseph DuPree.

Now wouldn't that have been interesting?!  ;)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2004, 12:33:25 AM »
So far, it sounds like the same-old, same-old plot treatment in a new year, but then again there's no telling how accurate the information is, and since the whole pilot is tentative, details could change.

So very true. And I wouldn't necessarily read too much into the scenes that might be being used for casting the various roles because for his 1990 audition for Barnabas, Ben Cross did a scene taken straight out of the hoDS script.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2004, 11:48:16 PM »
I just was looking at the link Prof Stokes listed; um, since I'm just randoming 'poppin in VHS tapes', I have 2 cents that I'm going to throw out....

Watching older eps...what strikes me is the blend of 'regular' characters with the 'supernatural'.

Think Dr. Guthrie, Sam Evans and Joe, simultaneously linked with Josette, Laura and yes, even Vicki (cause she's the one who seems to draw everything out).

While watching, I'm starting to realize that TPTB started to 'cram' too much only supernatural with no 'normal' blend.

Think 1897 (my favorite, especially the first half). You had your wolfman, your Phoenix, your gypsies, your DEAD gypsie tribunal, your possession(S), your detached hand, your IChing time travel so your vampire.......etc. etc....all within what...6 months?

The earlier eps had a very taught balance; it was easier on the senses.

I also feel that way about X-Files.

I hope they taper it down; it's a shame they're supposedly starting with the obvious, instead of weaving a tapestry.

Patti
What a Woman!

LorraineAAB

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2004, 01:58:54 AM »
I just was looking at the link Prof Stokes listed; um, since I'm just randoming 'poppin in VHS tapes', I have 2 cents that I'm going to throw out....
   Watching older eps...what strikes me is the blend of 'regular' characters with the 'supernatural'.
   Think Dr. Guthrie, Sam Evans and Joe, simultaneously linked with Josette, Laura and yes, even Vicki (cause she's the one who seems to draw everything out).
   While watching, I'm starting to realize that TPTB started to 'cram' too much only supernatural with no 'normal' blend.
   Think 1897 (my favorite, especially the first half). You had your wolfman, your Phoenix, your gypsies, your DEAD gypsie tribunal, your possession(S), your detached hand, your IChing time travel so your vampire.......etc. etc....all within what...6 months?
   The earlier eps had a very taut balance; it was easier on the senses.
   I also feel that way about X-Files.
   I hope they taper it down; it's a shame they're supposedly starting with the obvious, instead of weaving a tapestry.

I agree with this, though, like almost everyone, I anticipate more of the "same old", just slicked up in modern dress, hairstyles, a little more PC,  and better CG effects.

IMHO, it makes for better suspense if, like early X-F, there is a REAL question as to whether a "mysterious" event is truly supernatural,  the result of "alien" handiwork, the extraordinary machinations of a sinister HUMAN,
OR simply an as-yet-inexplicable phenomenon of the natural world (stretched to the limits, of course.)  If, sometimes, it IS determined to be the last circumstance, this could be made exciting in the hands of the right writers.

One could even think up a "Touched By an Angel" type of storyline, where a GOOD influence tries to alleviate or ameliorate some of the ongoing evil at C'wood with success (OK, temporary success-- the show must go on), WITHOUT the sometimes-cloying simplicity and overt religiosity of TBaA.  A hypocritical, nasty, sleazy Trask is, no doubt, a lot of fun, and seeing his/her comeuppance is very satisfying, but how about a Trask descendant who gives his/her life, perhaps in retribution for the  travails the earlier ancestors wrought?

And even current events and recent history could be touched on, if lightly.
X-F did a good story related to Vietnam veterans--- about sleepless soldiers who received some kind of treatment to stay awake so they could fight ---and occasionally perform atrocities--- all of which haunted the survivors.

Or stories that spotlighted old wrongs, like the slave trade (the subject of the one of the better old DS novels) or conflicts with Native Americans.  Even some kind of semi-supernatural conspiracy with moral implications, and specially-gifted mortals, a'la Millennium, might fit in somewhere.  But, like I said, this would have to be a picky-choosy kind of thing.

I put this stuff in my own fan-fic, I like reading it in others--- I can't be the only one who appreciates this angle.  I think the ONLY thing I wouldn't like in DS is that X-F standard, the aliens, but I'm flexible.

Oh, and that brings me to another thing.  None of this dragging out certain story arcs for years.  I want to know who Vicki's real mom is, within the first season or two.  I want to know who her Daddy is, within the following season.  And, if Mom IS Elizabeth, then the Pop better be somebody REALLY interesting.

(Somehow, I like the idea of Vicki's being conceived during Liz's late 1960's hippy aberration, maybe while stoned and watching some old gothic/horror/suspense soap opera that was all the rage back then, with one of the subdemons who used that show to ensnare our souls, but I'm weird that way.)

Something like the short plot arcs, like the tele-novelllas, should be practiced.  Knock off one or two major plotlines every season, then move on.  Only one
"Turn of the Screw" redux every OTHER year !!!

Yes, bring on the witches, vampires, zombies, werewolves, ghosts, phoenices, etc. but sparingly....

L.