Author Topic: Cancellation  (Read 2568 times)

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Cancellation
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 11:36:53 PM »
It's very true that Frid wanted to play another character. And, frankly, I always thought that was only fair as all of the other major cast members had been able to play several different roles. But it's a misconception that Frid didn't want to play Barnabas - what he didn't want to do was play Barnabas as a vampire anymore. There are actually a few different topics on the forum that clarify that.  :)

Thanks for the clarification...

But... [spoiler]Barnabas was cured of being a vampire until the Leviathan storyline. Then here comes Jeb Hawkes and he puts the vampire curse right back on Barnabas again.[/spoiler] It seems Dan Curtis liked the Barnabas as a vampire storyline.

Based on that... I just don't believe that Dan Curtis ever would have agreed to Jonathan Frid's terms of not playing Barnabas as a vampire anymore?

So basically I still see Jonathan Frid leaving the show after 1841 parallel time had the show continued.

FireRose

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 05:24:07 AM »
So basically I still see Jonathan Frid leaving the show after 1841 parallel time had the show continued.

The only way Frid could have left on his own would have been if his contract had expired or DC had let him out of it. Somehow I don't see the latter happening very easily after the fierce negotiations that had gone on to get Frid to sign a new contract (with that proviso allowing him to play a character other than Barnabas). And more than likely Frid's new contract was for much longer than six months. The standard soap contracts run a year, two or sometimes even longer...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 05:37:41 AM »
The two specific moments I remember from DS in childhood are Thayer David's final voiceover, and the 1970 moment where Collinwood is being destroyed, and we see a canvas thing full of "debris" come down from the ceiling, and dump it, and go back up again.    I think I thought I was hallucinating!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 05:55:35 AM »
In looking at the ratings between the Fall of 1969 and the Spring of 1971, folks have to take into consideration the fact that several ABC affiliates were either dropping DS from their afternoon schedules or moving it to evening timeslots during this period.

My Mother was a fan of DS back in the day. When I first started watching it she remembered Laura's first storyline and Paul Stoddard's "body" in the basement. (Even remarking on how long it took to find out what the hell was down there) I was watching Leviathans a few weeks back while visiting she and my Father in NYC, and she didn't recall the storyline at all. I wonder if she was one of those kids whose stations dropped the show. I remember reading somewhere that stations had dropped the show earlier than the movie.... after a particularly gruesome werewolf attack there were quite a few calls from irate parents. I can only think of the death of innkeeper Wells at the moment. I'll see if I can't find the article.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 07:44:38 AM »
My question is where could they have gone with the show?? What other stoylines could they have done. They went through the storylines so fast. In high school I knew people who parents wouldn't let them watch the show. Also the fan base was growing up.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 02:07:10 PM »
It does seem that DS went through a lot of the old classic horror/mystery stories in such a short time....it was rumored they were going to do a story about a mummy, but it never went through.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 12:45:57 AM »
i know i was upset when it ended esp as we never see Barnabas and Julia again
and i hated the last storyline and i reallly hated Catherine i would have liked to
have seen the chris jennings story solved but alas maybe he still is baying at the moon
somewhere  ;D(wouldn't his fans here like to know where >:D)

jennifer
i'm currently watching 1897 again so it still lives on
i think Julia and Beth win most loyal for me :)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 12:54:56 AM »
Learn something new every day......I didn't know David Henesy left the show?  WHY???  I can't beleive I didn't know that....I have been in fandom for 16 yrs.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 03:04:24 AM »
Thinking about it, one good thing came out of DS being cancelled....many years later the show would be released on VHS then DVD, something that wouldn't have happened if DS had remained on the air.

So when you think about it DS being cancelled was a blessing-in-disguise, at least that's how I look at it.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 03:24:11 AM »
Is cancelled the right word to use? Was it cancelled or did they just decide it should end?

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2007, 08:53:27 PM »
Since David Henesy had left the show, they could have had another actor play Tad.