Author Topic: Apparently Sacha Howells Is Not A DS Fan...  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Apparently Sacha Howells Is Not A DS Fan...
« on: April 08, 2008, 11:02:37 PM »
...and as hard as some of us may find it to believe, that type of person does actually exist.  [ghost_cheesy]   [ghost_rolleyes]  Though I fail to see why he would use DS as an example of what may have been wrong with the Sci-Fi Channel when it had just started out when 1) DS was actually considered one of Sci-Fi's jewels in their schedule at that time (and was almost universally lauded as such), and 2) anyone who watched even a fraction of Sci-Fi's early programming would have found it impossible to miss the actual godawful dreck that comprised far too much of their schedule. I could be wrong, but given those facts, why do I suspect Mr. Howells 1) may have never even watched DS, 2) simply cited DS as an example merely out of his own ignorance/prejudice, and 3) never actually watched Sci-Fi back then and is thus completely unfamiliar with the quality or lack thereof of what was actually on the channel back then?

But anyway, for what it's worth, check out: Children of Men Heads to Sci Fi Channel

Perhaps a few of us should politely enlighten Mr. Haskell by posting a few comments about what Sci-Fi was actually like.  [ghost_wink]

David

Re: Apparently Sacha Howells Is Not A DS Fan...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 01:02:52 AM »
 [ghost_mad]

I see his point.
Instead of showing classics like DS, Sci-Fi now shows
all those great killer insect flicks!

David

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 02:02:05 AM »
Amazing what some people see as an improvement, huh?  [lghy]  [sad3]

To get serious, I will give him the point that Children of Men is an excellent film. Though one does wonder why he felt he had to drag down DS (or anything for that matter) to make it...  ::)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 02:26:06 AM »
Though one does wonder why he felt he had to drag down DS (or anything for that matter) to make it...  ::)

So true.  But at least he recognizes what may be (I think it is) the best show on TV now-- Battlestar Galactica.   [ghost_cool]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 03:05:18 AM »
Although the Sci-Fi Channel has an occasional diamond-among-the-rough (such as Battlestar Gallactica), I far more preferred it in its "infancy."  It was so much more classy back then, not only with DS, but also other old, classic TV sci-fi/horror programs, as well as incredibly well done documentaries.  It also aired wonderful classic movies, from fun-to-watch 1950's monsters-eating-Los-Angeles flicks to the Roger Corman films.  I also loved the little two-to-three-minute delicious things it had.  Now, it's all the monster-eating-muscular-hunks-and-bodacious-tatta-ed-21-year-olds-until-the-monster-gets-blown-up-in-a-cave/house/factory/warehouse/science-lab schleck and - heavens preserve us - professional wrestling junk.  I use to sit glued before it, but I rarely watch it now.

Gerard

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 02:39:36 AM »
I would inquire of S. Howells what he (I presume?) thought of the zzzzzz-inducing, over-indulgent, mega-mini series TAKEN... Or what he (?) thinks of the  current supernatural-themed "reality" series, "Scariest Places On Earth" and "Ghost Hunters" (TAPS), the search for monsters of "Destination Truth" and the still-overdone reruns of "Twilight Zone", "The Dark Side", "X-Files", "Outer Limits", etc.  But it's hardly worth registering for yet ANOTHER website just to make the comment!!!
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 02:45:46 AM »
According to his bio, he's a he. And he seems to believe that his claim to fame is that he saw Jared from the Subway ads in line at the supermarket.

Actually, that might say more about him than anything he wrote in the linked article.  [ghost_wink]  [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 05:48:36 AM »
Who is Sacha Howells?

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 11:13:54 AM »
Not a DS Fan.  Apparently.