Author Topic: The Executioner  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
The Executioner
« on: December 05, 2003, 07:11:40 PM »
I realise that historical inaccuracy is virtually a hallmark of Dark Shadows.....but today's executioner, with his masked hood and elaborate axe was right out of a Medieval Morality play.

Where would they have come by such things in 1840 Collinsport.....Ye Olde Theatrical Costume and Prop Shoppe?  ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:The Executioner
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 07:29:50 PM »
Where would they have come by such things in 1840 Collinsport.....Ye Olde Theatrical Costume and Prop Shoppe?  ::)

Tsk, tsk - in a village like Collinsport, you've got to know that EVERY family probably had their own version of the executioner's hood and axe packed away in a trunk in their attics or basements.  [wink2]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 07:51:16 PM »
Really!?

I had no idea 19th Century New England was that kinky! :D
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 07:55:25 PM »
Oh, yeah! "Executioner Brute and the Innocent Maiden" was VERY popular.  [b003]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 08:04:28 PM »
Really?  I would have thought "Tightly Corsetted Upstairs Maid Teaches Ne'er-Do-Well Son of the House Some Discipline" would have been the favorite in Collinwood.  ;)
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 08:20:33 PM »
Ooooo, sounds like fun!  [lick]

And I'm sure several of the Collins lads (not to mention those "upstairs maids" ) would have enjoyed it too.  [lghy]  Makes you wonder what REALLY went on in that "playroom" once the young kids were asleep?!  [wink2]

(I think the prospect of a weekend filled with snow is affecting us both very strangely today.  ;)  Don't know about where you are, but we're supposed to have more than a foot of snow before it's all over. But I love snow,  [60c4]  so I'm very happy!  [clap])

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003, 05:53:19 AM »
(I think the prospect of a weekend filled with snow is affecting us both very strangely today.  ;)  Don't know about where you are, but we're supposed to have more than a foot of snow before it's all over. But I love snow,  [60c4]  so I'm very happy!  [clap])

Not a flake on the ground here in this upper-Midwestern state!   ;D Temps forecasted in the 40s for this coming week   :D  Just hope it stays that way till after I travel across state lines for Christmas ...  :)
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2003, 06:04:06 AM »
Not a flake on the ground here in this upper-Midwestern state!

How disappointing.  :'(

Well, so you can experience the thrill of this storm vicariously, right at this moment I can't even see out any of my windows because the snow is coming down so hard and blowing around so much.

In other words, just like we always saw it on DS.  :-

:D

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2003, 09:38:31 PM »
How disappointing.  :'(

Well, so you can experience the thrill of this storm vicariously, right at this moment I can't even see out any of my windows because the snow is coming down so hard and blowing around so much.

I admit, while watching coverage of the east coast snowstorms on TV, I have felt a few pangs of nostalgia for home (a slightly more northerly direction than my current location ...).  It's just the hassle of getting around (not to mention dangerous driving) that I don't miss.  My perfect scenario would be snowfall on Christmas Eve, once I'm safe and snug at "home."   :)

In other words, just like we always saw it on DS.  :-

:D

And as we saw in that beautiful modified photo of Collinwood ... looking like one of those glass (or plastic) snow shakers ... that graced the DS Christmas round-robbin story about four years ago.   :)
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2003, 10:33:58 PM »
Ah, yes - you must be referring to this one:

from 1999, back when the RRs were hosted on VN and title graphics could be included.