Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0079  (Read 1864 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0079
« on: October 20, 2011, 07:24:02 PM »

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0079
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 08:15:28 PM »
Burke asks Mrs. J if anyone saw her come up to his room and she replies, “Oh, no. That Mr. Wells at the desk wouldn't see the nose on his face.” Heh, heh.

I love how Burke gets all the details of what transpired the night before at the Blue Whale in like a two-second phone call.

First mention of Frank Garner. Yummy Frank Garner. 

Mrs. J: I'll have vegetable juice and whole wheat toast, well done. I'll butter it myself--and coffee.
Here is a woman who knows how to order food. She knows what she wants and how she wants it. And I love her comment, “I'm just not built for these stools”. Honey, who is?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 10:37:44 PM »
I love Maggie's little paper waitress caps! She seems to wear a different kind every day.

Burke talks with Blair (no, not Nicholas!) again. Presumably Burke wants to buy the mortgage on Collinwood, then foreclose. I'm sure no other soap of those times went into such detail about the characters' business plans.

David has hitchhiked into town yet again, sees Mrs. Johnson accuse Burke of being responsible for Bill's death, and yells at Mrs. Johnson. What's David's alleged governess doing, I wonder?

Well, at least later on David actually does the manly thing (after Burke tells him that's what it would be) and apologizes to Mrs. Johnson. He even confesses that he swiped Burke's photo. Dare we hope he is not incorrigible after all?

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 11:14:37 AM »
Burke asks Mrs. J if anyone saw her come up to his room and she replies, “Oh, no. That Mr. Wells at the desk wouldn't see the nose on his face.” Heh, heh.
Yes, that surprised me.  Mr. Wells is an even bigger gossip than Maggie is!  And if Mrs. Johnson doesn't know that, what's she living in a small town for?

I love how Burke gets all the details of what transpired the night before at the Blue Whale in like a two-second phone call.
All Roger's scheming to make it look like an innocent night out with Vicky went for naught.  And who called Burke?  Was it the same waiter at the Blue Whale who, at Matthew's request, told Elizabeth that Matthew wasn't still at the Blue Whale when in fact he was?

I love Maggie's little paper waitress caps! She seems to wear a different kind every day.
Maybe Sam does origami for her.

Burke talks with Blair (no, not Nicholas!) again. Presumably Burke wants to buy the mortgage on Collinwood, then foreclose.
If I remember correctly, there is no mortgage on Collinwood, because no banker thought it was worth enough for a mortgage.  My understanding of the phone call was that Burke was going to find ways to press hard enough on Collins Enterprises so that a mortgage on Collinwood would become a dire necessity, and then Mr. Blair would appear like a fairy godfather to offer a mortgage, and after that Burke would jump out from behind the curtain, twirl his mustache (conveniently tacked on for the scene), and foreclose, turning Elizabeth, Roger, Carolyn, and David out into the snow (a few cotton balls conveniently scattered for the scene).  The thing is, we know Carolyn remembers Mr. Blair from the fancy lunch in Bangor, so Burke should find somebody else to do his dirty work for him.  Hmm...Mr. Blair (no, not Nicholas!) as fairy godfather reminds me of a fill-in setup of mine, for which Magnus had an excellent response:
Episode #0563

David has hitchhiked into town yet again, sees Mrs. Johnson accuse Burke of being responsible for Bill's death, and yells at Mrs. Johnson. What's David's alleged governess doing, I wonder?
Sleeping in after her big night out with Roger, or searching wildly for David, as she tells Mrs. Stoddard that he said he was just stepping outside to pick up the newspaper from the doorstep.

Mrs. Johnson's still living at Bill Malloy's house.  I know he's been dead less than a week, but shouldn't she be looking around for another place, just in case the Collinwood job doesn't come through?  (Note: the actors still haven't gotten used to the name Collinwood.  David Ford called it Collinswood today.)  Bill Malloy didn't leave her his house, so who inherits it?  I'm sure that trusty Sheriff Patterson got his hands on the will and went over it with a finetooth comb.  Did Bill Malloy have any relatives?  Or did he leave the house to be turned into a Home For Disabled Cannery Workers?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 03:48:14 PM »
(I had no memory of that capture, Lydia!  The set-up was definitely the funniest part...)

[skelleton_runs] [skelleton_runs]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 05:38:04 PM »
Bill Malloy didn't leave her his house, so who inherits it?  I'm sure that trusty Sheriff Patterson got his hands on the will and went over it with a finetooth comb.  Did Bill Malloy have any relatives?  Or did he leave the house to be turned into a Home For Disabled Cannery Workers?

His cousins were mentioned, with one living close enough for Roger to claim to have visited in his search for Malloy.  (They could use the inheritance to purchase telephones for themselves. ;))  And there must have been a sibling that produced Malloy's niece, who then had a daughter; they came up in the scheme to get Carolyn out of town after Burke showed up.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Oh, yeah, I had forgotten about those.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 10:01:46 PM »
I'll bet the Collinses owned Bill's house, which Elizabeth let him have for nothing. After all, he was a trusted family retainer. But maybe he had saved up enough money for his relatives to buy phones.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 05:02:06 AM »
Oops, I meant to ask Magnus if his comment was meant for the Caption board.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 04:29:45 PM »
Oops, I meant to ask Magnus if his comment was meant for the Caption board.

Above in this thread, Lydia referred to an old capture/caption and linked to it, then I commented on it...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 05:53:17 PM »
Of course.  Thanks!

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 08:45:44 PM »
While Elizabeth is considering more live in help to populate Collinwood, perhaps a live in psychiatrist for David would be in order.  Burke manipulates the young boy as easily as he does his cousin. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 03:53:32 PM »
Burke manipulates the young boy as easily as he does his cousin.

True, but I think in David's case, Burke's feeling for the boy is sincere, though he's not above using the boy's affection for him to use to his advantage.

Wow, Mrs. Johnson went all out trying to convince everyone how much she can't stand Burke, going so far as to accuse him of Mr. Malloy's death. Even Burke looked shocked there for a moment...he probably didn't expect her to go THAT far. But he's certainly not going to object to it. They both want to lay the foundation to get her to Collinwood
as soon as possible and what better way than to have her accuse him of being responsible for Malloy's death?

David witnesses Mrs. Johnson's outburst and rushes to Burke's defense. I found it sweet of the boy, even knowing that Burke and Mrs. Johnson manipulated this whole thing. I don't like watching Burke manipulate David, but again, I say his fondness for David is genuine, certainly more genuine than any feeling he would ever have for Carolyn. David did apologize to Mrs. Johnson...has David ever apologized for anything before and meant it? Maybe he is making some progress.

Also liked how Sam sort of stood up for Mrs. Johnson to Maggie. He made some great points...she's out of a job, heck hardly anyone could be a ray of sunshine under those circumstances. Of course we know Mrs. Johnson's living only for finding out who may have killed her beloved late employer. That's her only reason for wanting to seek a job so soon, to get to Collinwood and start snooping.

Great episode.