Poll

Would you like Seaview to be the representation of Collinwood in the new Depp/Burton DS film?

Yes.
No.
I don't know.

Author Topic: Collinwood in the new Depp/Burton DS film  (Read 16132 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Collinwood in the new Depp/Burton DS film
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2009, 04:51:16 AM »
I'd sleep in it haunted or not and I'll be close enough to know if it is, this Halloween. [ghost_grin]

I was actually disappointed in the room compared to ones on the second floor - or even others on the third floor. Though, of course, it was never intended to be used as bedroom - despite the fact that we've often seen its TV show counterpart used that way for some poor, insane Collins family members in RT as well as PT.  [ghost_grin]

If I was to pick a room in the tower, I'd pick the second floor room (David's room in the TV show) to sleep in. Besides having a beautifully designed archway entrance:

two beautiful stained glass windows (one above and):

and a beautiful fireplace:

it has a beautiful view:

Unless one stands on a tall ladder, or the furniture, or hangs from the ceiling fan, one can't even see out the tower room windows because they're too high to the ceiling.  [ghost_sad]

And just for the record, I didn't take the photos of the tower room that are displayed in reply #37 - Midnite did.  [ghost_smiley]  All the above photos are mine, however.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2009, 06:20:14 AM »
These photos are gorgeous!  Thanks for taking them and posting them here!

Nancy

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2009, 07:22:01 AM »
She got it! Thank you, Mary!

You're welcome, SDP -- LOL!  I also voted in the poll. [ghost_smiley]

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2009, 02:03:15 PM »
Hi MB,

Hey, those ARE great photos! Can you tell us what year they were taken? The reason I ask is that the Careys are looking for proof of the damage done to the house and photos such as these might help.  An example might be a stained glass window that is no longer in as good a condition as in these photos. I don't know, however, if the Careys have much legal recourse as they have endured years of seeing their house ruined by the students and their complaints to the college seemed to fall on deaf ears. They may have waited too long.

SDP

PS I am open to any type of encounter with the spirit world inside this house! I am mostly a skeptic but hope to experience something which I can't explain. I have had one such incident in my life which piqued my curiosity and am looking for more of them!  [ghost_huh]

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2009, 11:46:23 PM »
http://www.theshadowlands.net/places/rhodeisland.htm

Go down to Newport then go down to the 8 more to Newport - Salve Regina University - Carey Mansion. It says "supposedly a nun hung herself. The room is boarded up and every month a priest has to come in and bless the house."

I think it's a work of ficton, maybe even written by a DS fan but who knows.
May you die before you want too.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2009, 12:00:04 AM »
As others can also say with certainty, there are no boarded up rooms in the house.  [ghost_wink]  Well, unless perhaps they're in the basement. I've never bothered to go down there. Although, maybe someone should because it might have been fun to look for [spoiler]Paul Stoddard's "body."  [ghost_grin][/spoiler]

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2009, 12:24:21 AM »
I think it used to be boarded up (Greg's linked article has been around for some time) as the first time we had access to the tower room I remember being unable to get inside. There was a small slit in the door (or whatever) and we tried to peer inside but couldn't see too much. This creeped us out a bit and our imaginations filled the tower room with all sorts of horrors! I remember the person there in charge of the mansion for the college said students claim to hear strange noises coming from the room. I didn't hear about the hanged nun until several years later.  [ghost_shocked]

While we haven't discussed going down to the basement, we are possibly going to explore the three attics!  [ghost_grin] I don't recall anyone ever mentioning an attic for Collinwood but I remember David and Amy in the attic of the Old House during the Leviathan storyline.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
Maybe they could re-create Seaview on a soundstage if they are going to film in London.

What house was used in the 2004 pilot?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2009, 06:43:09 PM »
Greystone was Collinwood.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2009, 04:15:58 AM »
the Careys are looking for proof of the damage done to the house and photos such as these might help.  An example might be a stained glass window that is no longer in as good a condition as in these photos.

I don't know if any of my photos actually show areas/things that have since been damaged. But I'll check when I get a chance.

It's a shame that the Careys and/or their lawyer didn't think to put something like a compensation for damages clause in their lease agreement contract with Salve. But live and learn...

I think it used to be boarded up (Greg's linked article has been around for some time) as the first time we had access to the tower room I remember being unable to get inside. There was a small slit in the door (or whatever) and we tried to peer inside but couldn't see too much. This creeped us out a bit and our imaginations filled the tower room with all sorts of horrors!

[b003]  And maybe at one time the entrance to the tower room was boarded up, but if so, it hasn't been like for quite some time. I remember being in that part of the house on at least two occasions that were at least a few years before that Web site was put up. The first time the door to the room was padlocked, but a lot of the stuff inside (ladders, folding tables, folding chairs, etc.) was visible through the slit in the door that you refer to - though the slit was about a half an inch wide that day. But a few years later I was there when some workmen were doing some repairs to some of the third floor's rooms, and the door was wide open. That's when I got a good look around. Though there wasn't much to see (except those ladders, folding tables, folding chairs, etc.). Nothing even worth taking any photos of.  [ghost_sad]

I remember the person there in charge of the mansion for the college said students claim to hear strange noises coming from the room.

Perhaps it was just things settling (like the ladders, folding tables, folding chairs, etc).  [ghost_grin]  And if there was anything to those stories about the room being haunted, maybe they held an exorcism before they remodled because I doubt Salve would have stuck students in a room that was potentially unsafe for them to stay in. Although, maybe that's the room they put the troublemakers to get rid of them.  [ghost_cheesy]

That being said, though, there are definitely strange sounds in the house. Back in August of '99 I was there completely alone for quite a few hours (it's a long story not worth going into) and I heard what sounded like furniture being moved around or something being dragged along the floor in the hall above and around the foyer. As he was leaving the building for the day, the head of Salve's music department specifically told me that I was going to be the only person left there and that no students would be moving in yet (so I was to make sure that I locked the door if I decided to leave - I was waiting for some friends to arrive). Curiosity got the better of me, so I went up to the second floor to look around and even called out a few times - but no one was there - and there wasn't a sound from anywhere in the house while I was up there. So, I went back downstairs. Who knows what had been going on?  [idontknow]

While we haven't discussed going down to the basement, we are possibly going to explore the three attics!  [ghost_grin]

Hmmm - that might be interesting. It would be really interesting if there were still things stored up there from the time that the house was the Bradley's private residence. Unfortunately back in the '40s their daughter had to sell off everything at auction to pay back taxes - but maybe something remains. Let's just hope the only things up there aren't desks and black boards from when the house has been used as a school.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2009, 04:30:39 AM »
Maybe they could re-create Seaview on a soundstage if they are going to film in London.

Hopefully they'd recreate the actual interiors rather than reimagine the original sets of the daytime show. At the time that the Bradleys lived there, the drawing room was a truly spectacular room:

Sadly, it looks nothing like that anymore.  [ghost_sad]

As has been posted before, the actual foyer looks nothing like the DS set, but in some ways it's a lot more interesting:

The actual entryway:

The wall, balcony, and chandelier above the actual entrance to the drawing room:

And a shot of the real stained glass window taken through one of the halls off of the foyer:

Hopefully now that Salve has been tossed out, all their clutter has or soon will be removed...

MirandaD

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2009, 07:21:49 AM »
Wonderful pictures!  Thanks!  I hadn't heard about Salve being thrown out - I guess in my dreams, Depp's production team forks out the money to fix what needs to be fixed at Seaview for the movie.  I know.. not practical probably.  But I had heard rumors many years ago about parts of the property falling into disrepair and I hated hearing that. It must be incredibly expensive to repair it.  I absolutely would love for some of the original Collinwood to be used in Depp's movie, particularly the outside shots that were used in the show.  So now I guess my vote is no longer a secret  [ghost_wink]

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2009, 09:59:37 AM »
I too was hoping, with Depp being a fan of the original show, that he would show an interest in the original Collinwood. The current owners are in the process of extending an invitation to him. Who knows what might happen?  [ghost_mellow]

SDP

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2009, 03:36:33 PM »
one of the reasons that the films didn't "say" dark shadows to me is that they weren't filmed at seaview.

the other location just didn't feel like collinwood.
NODS especially,despite starring several d.s. actors,could have easily been just another early 1970's horror film.without frid and stalwarts like bennett,edmonds,scott and so forth not enough of the d.s. atmosphere was captured.kate jackson in particular wasn't on the program long enough to carry a film centered on it.there was something of a generic quality to it.

ditto the california sun-drenched location for the 1991 series.NOT collinwood for me.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2009, 05:26:57 PM »
Thank you MB and to the other cousins for posting the fantastic photographs of the interior of Seaview-a place I will unlikely ever get the chance to see the insides of. I would have to say that the sets used on the original series were eloquent for its time but now would look cheesy so I hope it won't be duplicated for the movie. The Seaview interiors will hopefully be duplicated.