Author Topic: The Generation thing!  (Read 2577 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
The Generation thing!
« on: July 11, 2008, 11:13:55 PM »
I am not telling tales out of school.  Cassandra Blair just said she was a second gen fan and she is 45.  I thought I was second gen and I am only 30.  I am confused.  This generation stuff is confusing. LOL

From Wikipedia: says a geneartion is around 30 years.  So I guess I am a second gen fan since the show was celebrating it's 25 anniversary when I came on board.   

Am I way off here.  Yall have way more insight than me!!

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
Re: The Generation thing!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 11:19:19 PM »
I believe that first-generation is used to refer to those who started with the original's first broadcast and second-generation fans are those who started with the revival's first airing. Having started with the DVDs of the original in 2007, I have no idea where I am.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 01:04:38 AM »
And what about the children of the original fans who never saw the revival and learned of DS from the Sci-Fi Channel reruns?  Are we Generation 1.5? [ghost_wink]

Personally, when I hear the phrases "second generation" or "third generation" fan, I've never thought in terms of the different versions of the show but rather in reference to the original fans and their offspring (e.g. second generation = fans' children, third generation = fans' grandchildren).

ProfStokes

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 07:39:29 AM »
And what about the children of the original fans who never saw the revival and learned of DS from the Sci-Fi Channel reruns?  Are we Generation 1.5? [ghost_wink]

Personally, when I hear the phrases "second generation" or "third generation" fan, I've never thought in terms of the different versions of the show but rather in reference to the original fans and their offspring (e.g. second generation = fans' children, third generation = fans' grandchildren).

I'd agree with that, except I would also include those who aren't offspring of fans, but who found the show on their own through the tapes or SciFi, etc.
Josette

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 12:25:41 PM »
This whole generation thing is just confusing. There are too many variables to take into account.  [ghost_wacko]

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 04:06:57 PM »
  I got into DS through grainy VHS broadcast recordings my uncle had, and through syndicated reruns on a small independent Martha's Vinyard channel in the early-late 80s (they played shows all the way into PT1970).

I always thought first generation fans meant those who got into the show during it's original airing?  I've no idea.  I do recall being the only one in school during the 80s who knew who Barnabas Collins was at the time, which annoyed me a bit.  When sci-fi started airing shows I noticed that a lot more people knew about the classic DS and recognized the name Barnabas from the show. 

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 04:22:34 PM »
I've always thought the same thing, PD - first generation fans are those who watched the show during its original ABC run, and second generation fans are those who were somehow exposed to DS afterward, whether it was through syndication, the '91 series, Sci-Fi, VHS or DVD. I've never really broken it down into third, fourth or beyond based on the various syndication runs and video releases, the revival series, or a fan's actual generational relationship to the original generation that watched. But I it can certainly be broken down in any number of ways that anyone might want to do it.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 04:43:42 PM »
I attempted to create an algebraic formula that could tell your generation through which show you watched first, when you watched it, and who else in your family watched it, but I ended up in a situation where the generation numbers started repeating too much. [ghost_wacko]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 04:57:42 PM »
Goober - you tried to create a mathematical formula to explain the whole generational question? As someone who holds a Math degree and who has worked in the field in some capacity for 30 years, that just might make you my favorite member of the forum!  [ghost_grin]

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 05:16:36 PM »
Believe me, the thing was faulty  as can be. For one, there was almost no way to get an uneven number! [ghost_cheesy]

I say we use Gen-1 to describe people who watched the original first and Gen-2 to describe the people who saw the revival first. We can use decimals to differentiate. Someone who watched the original at its first airing would be Generation 1.0, whereas someone who got in on the original via the reruns would be Generation 1.3. Since I got in on the show thanks to DVD, I think that'd put me at Generation 1.7. Of course, this could get confusing fast. Someone like Taeylor who watched the revival at its original airing would be a 2.0, but could be older than a 1.7 like me, or possibly even a 1.3.

Or we can just refuse to conform to a uniform generation scheme and do it however we like, and confuse everyone else. Tuhmaytoe, tahmahtoe, puhtaytoe, pahtahtoe, let's call the danged thing off.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 05:26:37 PM »
Believe me, the thing was faulty  as can be. For one, there was almost no way to get an uneven number! [ghost_cheesy]

Well, some people have worked for decades to prefect a formula. There's no disgrace if the first attempt doesn't quite work out the way you'd hoped.  [ghost_wink]

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 05:38:01 PM »
We're talking generations of fans of DS. If I were going to spend such a significant amount of time working on something DS-related, I'd get my act together and start that Dark Shadows module for Neverwinter Nights that I've been thinking about for the past week. [ghost_tongue2]

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 05:46:39 PM »
Here's my take.  My generation is first generation...we were in our teens when we first saw it..our children who are now in their 30's and perhaps even younger and who picked up the habit of watching it from us, are the 2nd generation and the even younger fans who just caught on to it lately are 3rd Generation Non-relational.  See, it can be real simple  [ghost_tongue2]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 09:59:07 PM »
I always thought of my mother as a second generation fan despite her being older than, well, almost all of us here (you know who you are!  ;)).  On occasion, she wasn't at work while my best friend and I saw the show in the 60s, and I think I even went so far as to beg her to watch with us, but at most she only glanced at the screen (that's how we first learned that Joan Bennett was a *movie star*) before disappearing to do housework or whatever.  She remembers our telling her that the show had vampires and witches and werewolves-- my love of horror movies comes in part from her-- but nothing worked.  Then years later she caught an ep one evening on PBS and was immediately hooked.  (But I'm not bitter, heh.)  She even posted for a while on the SciFi boards when it was airing there.  Why the delayed reaction, I don't know, but she asked me just the other day when it's going to be on TV again (sigh) because she missed seeing it.  So anyway, we're talking 2nd incarnation watcher, one generation apart from an original viewer, but in reverse (?).

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 10:06:52 PM »
...at most she only glanced at the screen (that's how we first learned that Joan Bennett was a *movie star*) before disappearing to do housework or whatever.

Same with my mother!   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor