Author Topic: SUPERNATURAL SMARTS VS HUMAN HEARTS  (Read 1235 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
SUPERNATURAL SMARTS VS HUMAN HEARTS
« on: August 25, 2002, 03:36:48 AM »
Whether witches, warlocks, Vampires, or ghosts, they yeild sometimes to human tendencies on DS. We have seen emotions interfere with those evil deeds of Angelique, Nicholas, or Barnabas. In your opinion, does this make or break the character?
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: SUPERNATURAL SMARTS VS HUMAN HEARTS
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2002, 03:49:45 AM »
Oh, it absolutely makes it work. Barney as a completely evil vampire would have been killed off and Frid would have moved on to another performance without any hoopla.

I can think of Gerard, as an example of it not working. Until we went back to his human days and saw him as a more complex person, it didn't do much for me. (And even then, I think he could have played him with more layering).

Or Quentin, is a better example. As a horrible ghost, he was OK. As a conflicted werewolf, as someone who wavers between good intentions and total self-centeredness, he was superb!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Angelique_s_Sis

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2002, 04:48:24 AM »
:)

I think "emotions" makes the character more interesting.    How Barnabas regretted being this evil vampire.  That loved/obsession ruled Angelique.  That love from Josette transcended through time & the grave.   ;D

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2002, 09:06:01 AM »
Oh makes them if they all had the same evil agenda
how boring would that be?

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2002, 02:39:24 PM »
I can think of Gerard, as an example of it not working. Until we went back to his human days and saw him as a more complex person, it didn't do much for me. (And even then, I think he could have played him with more layering).

I also think Joanna Mills falls into this category...

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2002, 08:21:36 PM »
 Yes, the complexity of character makes it far more fascinating to watch. The wonderful thing about Dark Shadows was that most of the characters were so human, even the supernatural creatures. Many shows today don't have nearly the amount of layers the characters on DS had. Dark Shadows had many of its villains being tragic figures-tortured souls, who have been "forced" to do wrong. Someone who you can relate to or sympathize with on some level. It doesn't work if the villian is pure evil.
 Barnabas, for instance, was a tragic vampire. He hated what he was and longed to be free. Viewers felt sorry for him, even though he had done such horrible deeds. You could still see there was a hidden layer of human feelings within him.
 Angelique had many human emotions, which caused most of her problems. Nicholas saw how human she was and knew that she would never be a powerful witch like him. (Even though he later let those same emotions get to him) I have always felt sorry for Angelique because I believe she once was a good person, but has been hurt and rejected so many times that she has learned not to trust or care for people. Once again, the complexity of character.

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2002, 09:23:24 PM »
 Angelique had many human emotions, which caused most of her problems. Nicholas saw how human she was and knew that she would never be a powerful witch like him. (Even though he later let those same emotions get to him) I have always felt sorry for Angelique because I believe she once was a good person, but has been hurt and rejected so many times that she has learned not to trust or care for people. Once again, the complexity of character.

I have said this before and faced disagreement. However, I feel Angelique is the most complex character on DARK SHADOWS. Her mystic solicits interest... What really makes her ticK?

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2002, 12:36:06 AM »
I definately agree with you. I have always felt Angelique is the most complex character, as well as Barnabas. They both have such a history and so many layers. By far my two favorite characters.

-Lindsey

Alas, it seems there aren't too many Angelique fans.[dsapy]
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840