Author Topic: Sheriff Paterson: Hirsute Or Hairless?  You Make The Call!  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Sheriff Paterson: Hirsute Or Hairless?  You Make The Call!
« on: August 22, 2002, 05:26:29 AM »
Hey gang,

Which Sheriff Paterson look do you prefer: the chrome dome look of Dana Elcar and Vince O'Brien or the healthy head of hair look of Alfred Sandor?  (The mustachioed look of Angus Cairns does not count.)

Personally, I prefer my Sheriff Paterson to look like Col. Klink or "Santini," one of the singers from the seminal rock group, "Sha Na Na."

By the way, did actor Alfred Sandor (today's Sheriff Paterson) steal more furtive and fleeting glances at the teleprompter in one episode today, than Jonathan Frid stole during the entire four years he was on the show?

When Sheriff Paterson asked Barnabas if there could possibly be another woman (besides Maggie) who could have come between Mr. B. and Joe Haskell and caused some bad blood, I wondered just whom the Sheriff could possibly mean (besides Angelique, of course): Susie the waitress, Portia Fitzsimmons, Vicky Winters, Janet Findley, Anna Nicole Smith?  Can you think of any other ladies who might have caused this falling out between Barnabas and Joe?

Bob the Bartender, Collinsport's Number One Quidnunc

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: Sheriff Paterson: Hirsute Or Hairless?  You Make The Call!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2002, 05:48:22 AM »
When Sheriff Paterson asked Barnabas if there could possibly be another woman (besides Maggie) who could have come between Mr. B. and Joe Haskell and caused some bad blood, I wondered just whom the Sheriff could possibly mean (besides Angelique, of course): Susie the waitress, Portia Fitzsimmons, Vicky Winters, Janet Findley, Anna Nicole Smith?  Can you think of any other ladies who might have caused this falling out between Barnabas and Joe?

Bob the Bartender, Collinsport's Number One Quidnunc

Bathia Mapes
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2002, 06:08:56 AM »

I like Dana Elcar best in the role, nothing to do with his looks. I think he did the best job portraying the character.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2002, 06:30:33 AM »
Hey gang,

Which Sheriff Paterson look do you prefer: the chrome dome look of Dana Elcar and Vince O'Brien or the healthy head of hair look of Alfred Sandor?  (The mustachioed look of Angus Cairns does not count.)

I prefer Vince O'Brien of all the Sheriff Pattersons.

The mind reels at the thought of Anna Nicole Smith (ugh).  If I'd been the sheriff, I would have been asking questions about Julia  8)

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2002, 07:00:17 AM »
I think I like Dana Elcar best in the role, but Vince O'Brien is a close second.  Elcar was the original Patterson, so I associate him most easily with the part.  Also, I felt he really fit the image of an easygoing, smalltown sheriff.  O'Brien was a tougher lawman. I could picture him interrogating suspects and poring over case files, but I couldn't really see him relaxing with the locals.

By the way, did actor Alfred Sandor (today's Sheriff Paterson) steal more furtive and fleeting glances at the teleprompter in one episode today, than Jonathan Frid stole during the entire four years he was on the show?

LOL!  I'd wager so, but I don't really feel up to watching his scenes again to make sure.

ProfStokes

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2002, 10:20:42 AM »

I liked Dana Ecar the best out of all of them. He just seemed so natural as a sheriff. Thought he played out the part real well too.

LOL!! I did happen to notice that Bob. He seemed to be looking over there all the time.

It's funny how different people can fit a character personality so differently. For instance, in yesterday's episode when the Sherrif was questioning Barnabas he made a remark about the "strange happenings"that were going on there in the house. Well for some reason I just can't picture Dana Ecar saying this. He just seemed so practical to be thinking something like this. I can picture him more accusing Barnabas of evading the question before I could see him mentioning strange occurances about the dogs howling.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2002, 05:30:17 PM »
I like Dana E the best but like a healthy head of hair better!
thought Mrs J looked great the other day with her hair down! ;D
jennifer
Maggie would have been the best quess for Joe or Barnabas but how about Donna F the friend of Carolyn's
that ranks up there with annoying characters!

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2002, 05:40:14 PM »
yep, I've got to go with Dana E, too.  With or without hair, I think he just had the part down.

Maybe, as Prof Stokes mentioned, it's 'cause he was the first - so I associate him with the part.

Liked the blooper from Frid - didn't quite get Mrs Johnson's name out right after the Patterson knocked on the door  ;)

Franimal

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2002, 10:17:51 PM »
I think Dana Elcar best fit the part.  Vince O'Brien was alright, but Alfred Sandor was a poor recast, similar to when Peter Turgeon replaced Robert Gerringer as Dr. Woodard.  It was almost like watching a different character.

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2002, 12:00:33 AM »
Oh, Dana Elcar, all the way. Does anyone know why he didn't return in the role? Can it be said?
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2002, 12:01:30 AM »
Hey gang,

I always picture Dana Elcar as Sheriff Patterson. But my favorite Sheriff was Sheriff Davenport. He made a great Zombie Sheriff, and had that infamous tombstone, which simply read, "Sheriff Davenport."

Whatever became of the constable we saw in the early episodes? Did Roger follow through with one of his many threats to have the constable ousted from his job? What's the difference between a constable and a Sheriff? Can you have both? Does one outrank the other? Enquiring minds want to know!!!

Ever notice that despite the many re-casts in the first two years, after Alexandra Moltke's unsuccessful recast attempts Dan Curtis never recast another character again? He even moved on to different Sheriffs.

That's impossible. If one were to repeat the number of instances Mr. Frid looked at the teleprompter throughout his entire run on the show, it would take several 1/2 hour episodes to get through.

I thought that was a pretty saucy accusation on the Sheriff's part, and perfectly valid, too. He was undoubtably referring to one of the many, *ahem,* "working girls" down on the docks.

:o

Offline Afan

• Full Poster
  • Another body from Collinwood for me to autopsy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2002, 12:07:28 AM »
;DDana Eclar-much better sheriff.Afan
Where are they getting these bodies, Mulder,  are they making them?

Afan

Offline Afan

• Full Poster
  • Another body from Collinwood for me to autopsy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2002, 12:09:37 AM »
;DElcar, sorryAfan
Where are they getting these bodies, Mulder,  are they making them?

Afan

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2002, 12:50:32 AM »
I prefered Dana Elcar out of all the sheriffs. I thought Vince O'Brien and Angus Cairns did a pretty good job replacing him, but I didn't like Alfred Sandor. Too many messed up lines on his part.