Author Topic: MEMORABLE MEMORABILIA  (Read 3531 times)

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
To Gerard Re: MEMORABLE MEMORABILIA
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2002, 06:00:35 AM »
::)Oh my goodness! I must reply to Gerard. The world is indeed my oyster!!! I play the piano, organ and guitar; was a WSI years ago at a YWCA camp; and I've never driven anything other than a stick-shift. You've made my day!!

Much love,  Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Anubis

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: MEMORABLE MEMORABILIA
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2002, 07:21:46 AM »
My father had an autobody shop in Queens, NY during that time and sometimes he would work on celebrities cars.  One day he came home and said he had an actor from Dark Shadows car, but didn't  remember his name, but knew it wasn't Barnabas since he had seen him on the show.  He said he would get me his autograph.  I remember being so excited about it.  I was hoping it was Quentin since he was the love of my life at the time.  Well, I was quite disappointed when he came home with the autographed photo and it was of Roger Davis!  Not one of my favorites.  I didn't let on to my father though.  Still, I wish I had it now along with my trading cards, Barnabas Collins game, Quentin post cards and 45 record of Quentin's theme.  No wonder I don't throw anything away now.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: To Gerard MEMORABLE MEMORABILIA
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2002, 08:27:49 AM »
::)Oh my goodness! I must reply to Gerard. The world is indeed my oyster!!! I play the piano, organ and guitar; was a WSI years ago at a YWCA camp; and I've never driven anything other than a stick-shift. You've made my day!!

Much love,  Misty

That's great Misty! You sound very talented. I also have a beautiful piano and used to play it all the time years ago, but like Gerard, Im afraid that I've gotten a bit rusty with it over the years.

Loved reading everyone posts! I wish I had more Memorabilia things to share with everyone. The only item I have is a 45 rpm record of Quentin's theme that my older sisters use to play all the time. I remember being so exited when one of my sisters bought it home. That and of course my MPI collection, which I truly love and watch all the time. :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2002, 09:53:35 PM »
:-/THanks, Cassandra. These days I just tinker around with the keys and strings. Arthritis has taken it's toll!!! But I still swim a lot and, of course, drive. If you must drive---might as well make it fun. A stick shift is also great in snow---which I have to factor in!

Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2002, 11:24:07 PM »
My father had an autobody shop in Queens, NY during that time and sometimes he would work on celebrities cars.  One day he came home and said he had an actor from Dark Shadows car, but didn't  remember his name, but knew it wasn't Barnabas since he had seen him on the show.  He said he would get me his autograph.  I remember being so excited about it.  I was hoping it was Quentin since he was the love of my life at the time.  Well, I was quite disappointed when he came home with the autographed photo and it was of Roger Davis!  Not one of my favorites.  I didn't let on to my father though.  Still, I wish I had it now along with my trading cards, Barnabas Collins game, Quentin post cards and 45 record of Quentin's theme.  No wonder I don't throw anything away now.

What a great story!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2002, 12:46:44 AM »
There ya go, Misty.  You can anything you want!  And a stick-shift is not only far better for snow-driving, but if you ever need to drive a car in Europe, you'd better know how to drive one, because 99.9999999999999% of them are manual, including the rentals.

I learned my music lessons from the good Sisters (or strs, as properly pronounced), too, Vam.  The Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity.  They had their own conservatory, the Holy Family Conservatory of Music, situated in a large, red-brick Victorian house where much of the original decorations - including Tiffany windows - were still intact.  All the classrooms were on the first floor; I remember one of them being the old breakfast room of the mansion with the original sliding French doors.  The strs resided on the second floor.  There was an addition in the back of the structure, allowing for a lobby/waiting room, a few more classrooms and an auditorium where we performed our recitals three-or-so times a year.  That's where I did Quentin's Theme for my little diddly.  When I first brought the sheet music, my teacher, Sr. Mary Grace, looked at the "From the TV Show 'Dark Shadows'" on it and asked me:  "Isn't that suppose to be a silly program?"  I told her I never missed it.  She shuddered and said:  "Ooooo, I don't like things about spooks and such."

Gerard

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2002, 03:50:51 AM »
::)Oh yes, Gerard. I've known a few "strs" in my day. I've taught in a parochial school for 25 yrs. This year, by the way, I will retire. Your music story is wonderful. I can picture the site from your description. Although I've only been in England for an hour(!) (layover at Manchester airport en route to France) I hope to return one day for a longer stay. Keep up with the music; it will always be something you can enjoy.

Love that stick-shift,  Misty ;)

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2002, 04:02:32 AM »
I learned my music lessons from the good Sisters (or strs, as properly pronounced), too, Vam.  The Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity.  They had their own conservatory, the Holy Family Conservatory of Music, situated in a large, red-brick Victorian house where much of the original decorations - including Tiffany windows - were still intact.  All the classrooms were on the first floor; I remember one of them being the old breakfast room of the mansion with the original sliding French doors.

Gerard, it definitely sounds more impressive than my learning environment, which was in the small convent next to the grade school.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Anubis

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2002, 07:58:08 AM »
What a great story!

Thanks Jennifer.  This board has brought back so many great memories for me.  It's fun to relive childhood feelings again.

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2002, 06:04:42 AM »
Although I haven't played in years, Vam, I still could tickle some ivories in a rusty sorta way.

Reading your posts Gerard, brings back memories from when I was a child, and I played the organ in my family's home. I learned from my father. I got pretty good at it, and played a number of songs from memory. I remember one night after a church service, while everyone was leaving and standing around talking, I went over to the organ and started playing "Onward Christian Soldiers." The youth group leader heard it and thought it was really good. I think I quit playing by the age of 12, found other interests. I bet I could do it again though if I practiced, and of course if I had an organ.  ;)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2002, 06:21:26 AM »
I don't think you ever loose music once you have it in you.  I learned the piano from my mother.  I now have a Yamaha Organ that I play just for fun.  I never had any formal lessons, I can read music, self taught.

I love to read all about the rest of you.  My being older, I had experienced my childhood in the forties.  I turned 62 on August 3.  Everyone on here is so friendly.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2002, 11:04:21 AM »
I love to read all about the rest of you.  My being older, I had experienced my childhood in the forties.  I turned 62 on August 3.  Everyone on here is so friendly.

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO YOU TANIS!! [hello][/b][/color]

Hope you had a great one!!
"Calamity Jane"

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2002, 12:56:42 PM »

I am glad that I decided to start this post. It is different from my others. However, it gives everyone an opportunity to share a little about themselves and still keep the DS theme. Thanks for the kind words...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2002, 02:32:32 PM »
I remember sending away for Josette's music box way back then.  I couldn't wait to get it, and was quite disappointed when it didn't look more like the glass and brass original.  Still, it played the familiar music, and that was enough for me.  

I collected everything--the bubble gum cards, both sets, and put the poster on the back together painstakingly, using the entire living room floor and rolls and rolls of Scotch tape.  

I found a Barnabas ring in my local (and now defunct) Times Square Stores and nearly screamed with joy when I saw it.  I have it still!

I used to stand in a local store nearly every afternoon, skimming magazine covers/pages for articles on DS and its actors and actresses.  I spent a lot of money on those magazines, and still have all of them!

My first car, by the way, was an AMC Pacer.  All those windows!  It was in the shop more than it should have been, but I loved that blasted car, and drove it for many years before selling it to a teenager who proceeded to ot register it under her name, park it illegally, and get $90 tickets sent to ME!

Anyway, I love my DS memorabilia, and am glad I had the intelligence (and nostalgic feelings) to hang onto it all.

Love, Robin