Author Topic: MEMORABLE MEMORABILIA  (Read 3530 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
MEMORABLE MEMORABILIA
« on: August 20, 2002, 03:24:36 AM »
I feel kinda nostalgic tonight and my post reflects the feelings. Certainly many of you, if not all  members on this board,  have either a special item or experience connected with DARK SHADOWS. I remember like it was yesterday when my grandmother gave me the original Barnabas Collins wrist watch, which she purchased for me  at Macy's in New York City during the late 60's. A priceless addition to my ticker collection.  Also, I have both Lara Parker and Kathryn Leigh Scott to thank  (I am very grateful to these ladies) for my renewed interest in the Series after meeting them at Chiller Theatre in '99.
Please find time to share with us  a special gift or memory related to DS.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: MEMORABLE MEMORABILIA
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2002, 03:37:54 AM »
I have one gift given to me by a friend:  the Barnabas Collins Dark Shadows game which he found at a rummage sale.  It is complete, save for the fangs.  He also found (but I purchased it), a mint-condition copy of the soundtrack record album.  I also have a hefty number of the Marylin Ross novels, as well as the comic books (with those horrible illustrations), and the original 45 of Quentin's Theme (#1 At the Blue Whale on the flip-side).

Gerard

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2002, 03:58:12 AM »
For me it was when I was a mere nine years old and my mom bought me the Barnabas Collins Dark Shadows game brand new with fangs and everything.  I use to wear those fangs so much that they started to stink!  Ah, the good ole days.

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2002, 04:46:20 AM »
My most special items are things that belonged to my favorite Dark Shadows actor, Craig Slocum.  :) I have his resume, the most complete one from the late 1970's, not long before his passing.  :'( He wrote a few things on it, and there's some personal info - his address, phone number, and a few other things about himself. There's a 8 x 10 promo photo with it. I'm glad I got to see what he looked like later on.  :) He looked good!  ;) I also have 2 of his Dark Shadows scripts, his name is written on them. I would like to have everything of his from the show. I care about Craig so much. My special experience connected with Dark Shadows certainly would be him. I never had such feelings, fascination, and love for anyone! It's hard being in love with someone who is long gone.  :'( I have many Dark Shadows items, some rare and hard to come by, but the things I mentioned, will always be the most memorable.  :)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2002, 05:17:07 AM »
I still have my Dark Shadows record album.  At one time I had the complete collection of the books but they were destroyed when our cellar flooded.  
The thing I cherish most is the happy memories of growing up watching DS.  How we ran home from school to watch, walked to the corner store to buy the trading cards, and going to the movie.  It was a special time in my youth.  
I have to thank my daughter for getting me rehooked about two years ago,  she was home sick and we just started getting sci-fi and I thought I would show her the TV show I loved so much.   I never dreamed I would enjoy it once again so very much.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2002, 05:32:12 AM »
Great post VAM!!!!

I have a couple very fond memories.  The first would be when I was in the 4th grade (1970), I don't remember the particulars but somehow my class was to put on a Dark Shadows play and I was in charge of it.  I was to be the scriptwriter, director and since the play was my idea I was going to play Barnabas Collins. I don't remember any body else's part except one.  The prettiest girl in my class was Jeanine Burger (who I secretly had a crush on) and I chose her to play Angelique.    

While everyone in the play was rehearsing on the stage a group started to form thinking we were going to put on the play there and then.  We were no where near ready but Sr. Martha Mary asked me if we could go on anyway and how could I say no?  I remember that it was total chaos but it was also a lot of fun.  I don't remember much about the play except as Barnabas I strangled Angelique.  Of course there was no harm done to Jeanine but Sr. was not at all happy about the violence.  I laughed it off then and it's still a great memory of a lot of long ago friends.  

My other fond memory is seeing Jonathan Frid in person when he came to a nerby town, Moline, Illinois in probably 1969 or 1970.  

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2002, 06:15:54 AM »
I forgot to say that I also have the sheet music for Quentin's Theme for the organ.  I got that as a Christmas present from my parents back in 1969.  I played it for a recital when I was taking lessons at a local conservatory.

Gerard

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2002, 12:49:53 PM »
I too loved DS.  I remember my mother had bought me The Dark Shadows Game.  I was thrilled.  I also went to the corner and got trading cards, which I still have.  The album and the 45 of Quentins Theme, they all have a place in my heart.  
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2002, 01:10:44 PM »
I forgot to say that I also have the sheet music for Quentin's Theme for the organ.

Do you still play the organ Gerard?

Some other memorable memorabilia for me:

I have the original music composition sheet of Robert Cobert for "I Wanna Dance" and it was personally inscribed by David Selby. Also, the master record print of the same signed by Nancy Barrett

At the 2001 Horrorfind Weekend in Baltimore, Lara Parker gave me one of those beautiful reproduction posters of her portrait from NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS as a gift with a personalized inscription.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2002, 03:22:10 PM »
I never had such feelings, fascination, and love for anyone! It's hard being in love with someone who is long gone.  :'( I have many Dark Shadows items, some rare and hard to come by, but the things I mentioned, will always be the most memorable.  :)

Your post has really touched my heart!  Although I'm a relative newbie to DS (been watching for more than 2 yrs now), the show has helped me get through my divorce and has helped to ease the loneliness of watching my two children finally fly from the nest making lives for themselves. Its been great having a focus, something to look forward to if you will.  My brother has been a fan since the show started in 1966 and now the continuing interest in the show has given us a shared joy to talk about and even bring us closer together.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2002, 03:33:40 PM »
Do you still play the organ Gerard?

Although I haven't played in years, Vam, I still could tickle some ivories in a rusty sorta way.  It's like riding a bike - you may wobble a bit if it's been awhile, but you never forget how to do it.  I am glad that my parents made us take music lessons.  At the time, of course, we hated it, but now I really appreciate being able to read music and applying it to certain instruments.  There are certain things everyone should learn how to do:  read music; swim (just enough at least to keep from drowning), and drive a stick-shift.  Once you know how to do all those, the world's your oyster!

As for the organ on which I took lessons (and learned how to play Quentin's Theme), it is now sitting in the garage, covered with dust and cobwebs, half the keys shorted out, the wiring frayed, and I will be putting an ad in the paper telling anyone who wants it can have it for free - just haul it the heck outta here.

Gerard

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2002, 03:52:46 PM »
I had the DS album and basically played it until it  was almost worn out!don't know what happened to it but think it is under some things in my parent's attic hope to find it some day!
also found a DS book Barnabas Collins at a yard sale for 50c What a find!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2002, 01:17:26 AM »
Your post has really touched my heart!

How nice!  :) I've been divorced for 6 years, so I can relate to it. I am Mother of a 6 year old girl. Her father is not the man I divorced. My 2 older brothers both left home when they were 17 in the 1970's. I left in 1985 when I was 21. My parents cried for several days. My Mom was just talking about it when she was here for my daughter's birthday a couple of weeks ago. Yes, Dark Shadows is a great distraction from other things. I used to watch it with my Mom and brother in the 60's. He hasn't seen it since, but still remembers some of it. He remembers the bubble gum cards we had when we were kids, and that we dropped one in the car door and couldn't get it out! We were worried that our dad would find it. He doesn't like Dark Shadows. My Mom loves it though, she used to watch it with us, and still watches it with me when she comes over.  :)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2002, 01:35:58 AM »
:)So many of you have wonderful memoirs that you will treasure forever. The only things I have are the original record album of DS music and three Marilyn Ross novels. But the thing that I am most grateful for was the oppportunity to see the original run of DS. It was just a great experience.

Nostalgically, Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2002, 04:12:52 AM »
There are certain things everyone should learn how to do:  read music; swim (just enough at least to keep from drowning), and drive a stick-shift.  Once you know how to do all those, the world's your oyster!

Looks like I past the test...
My music lessons  (piano) came via a nun (Saint Joseph order) where I attended grade school.