Author Topic: OT - DS DVD: your opinions appreciated  (Read 4661 times)

Selby_D._Pearson

Re: OT - DS DVD: your opinions appreciated
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2002, 04:04:52 AM »
Re HAA testing for Professor Woodard:  WOW, that is wild!

Louis Edmonds was offered the role of Joshua on the 1991 revival series. He was in Europe at the time and unable to accept the part. As much as I loved Louis' original interpretation of Joshua, I felt that to have any of the original actors cast in their original roles would make the absence of any other original actors in their original roles (on the 1991 DS) a nagging distraction to my enjoyment of the show. I did hope (in vain, it seems) to see some of the original actors in cameos. The only major part that I thought would be good for someone from the original DS (and somewhat ironic) would have been if Jonathan Frid could have played Joshua, Barnabas' father.  ;)

SDP

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2002, 04:16:13 AM »
>>>>>Louis Edmonds was offered the role of Joshua on the 1991 revival series. He was in Europe at the time

You know I heard that Frid was offered the Joshua role in the 91 show, but he wanted over a million dollars or something like that. But I never knew Edmonds was going to do Joshua.  You may be correct, but I just can't see Dan Curtis doing that. Edmonds was not in tip top shape or good health at the time, and his speech and manor had slowed down considerably since even his last AMC episode a year or so before.  

I think had the 91 series gone on, and it really should have because I thought it was wonderful, Curtis would have intermixed more original actors with new ones.

The only way a new DS will ever fly is if he creates a "next Generation" continuation of the original series, and not another bloody remake....no pun intended.

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2002, 04:43:55 AM »
You may be correct, but I just can't see Dan Curtis doing that. Edmonds was not in tip top shape or good health at the time, and his speech and manor had slowed down considerably since even his last AMC episode a year or so before.

Although he likely had throat cancer during the time that the 1991 DS was filmed, he did not know it. Louis was energetic and vital until the summer of 1991 (well after the show's 13 hours had aired). He became ill at the LA DS Festival in July 1991, and had to fly home before that Fest ended. He thought that he had a flu bug as he felt the glands in this neck were swollen. Soon after that, his cancer was discovered and by the time of the next Festival his outward zest and vigor were noticeably lessened. :'(  Still, his indomitable spirit NEVER diminished.  :)

I, too, liked the 1991 series very much and wished it would have continued long enough to allow the original actors some cameos. NBC later regretted cancelling it.  ::)

SDP

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2002, 05:42:24 AM »
Hello All,

I've been keeping an eye on the DS Forums and enjoy the feedback on our discs.

Let me know if you see a difference in quality on DS collection 2, and we'll keep trying to give you the best we can!
db

That is wonderful!  I don't have a DVD player and no immediate plans to get one, so I've just been skimming through this topic.  But it is really nice to know that someone actually involved in producing it is reading this, hopefully making use of the feedback, and providing us with a direct response.  Thank you so much, mpi_dvd_authoring!!
Josette

Offline mpi_marketing

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2002, 05:21:06 PM »
Hi.  MPI Marketing/Internet Operations here.

To answer your questions about the slates not being included on the DVDs, the simple fact is that numerous slates are missing & we decided to forego the concept.  

The idea was to put the original slates on the Collector's Series videos (VHS), which are the original episodes 1-209 before Barnabas and the first 60 episodes with Barnabas that were edited on the original MPI videos.  The rest of the series came from a different source (submasters made by the TV syndication company),where the original production slates were deleted from those tapes to avoid confusing local stations who reran the show since the episodes were renumbered for syndication.

All of the interesting slates that pull out to wide shots were used on various compilation videos such as "Dark Shadows Behind the Scenes" and "Dark Shadows Bloopers." But there are very few of that nature.

Hope that answers your questions about the slates.  As always, you can contact us at darkshadows@mpimedia.com.  Thanks for the feedback.

MPI Marketing

Offline CD_Tate

• Junior Poster
  • I'm soooo artistic.
    • View Profile
    • Pix:
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2002, 08:36:37 PM »
While not exactly the answers we were hoping for (at least in the latter case) I want to thank MPI for paying attention to us here, for caring about our opinions, and keeping us informed.  Getting such specific and personal responses from them in this thread is very encouraging.  Thanks MPI Marketing and DVD Authoring!  

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2002, 08:39:17 PM »
While not exactly the answers we were hoping for (at least in the latter case) I want to thank MPI for paying attention to us here, for caring about our opinions, and keeping us informed.  Getting such specific and personal responses from them in this thread is very encouraging.  Thanks MPI Marketing and DVD Authoring!

Ditto!  :)

Offline ksgemini

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2002, 10:23:39 PM »
I also appreciate the fact that MPI is listening.  I have found them to be great to deal with over the phone. I still wish they could push the release schedule up to every 2 months...If they are still watching this thread maybe they can clarify what the release schedule will be...it seems they are releasing sets a month apart in Aug and Sept...I am assuming it'll be quarterly after that...I'd love to have all these in less than 8 years...but, anyway thanks again to MPI

Offline CD_Tate

• Junior Poster
  • I'm soooo artistic.
    • View Profile
    • Pix:
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2002, 05:37:47 PM »
I still wish they could push the release schedule up to every 2 months...If they are still watching this thread maybe they can clarify what the release schedule will be...it seems they are releasing sets a month apart in Aug and Sept...I am assuming it'll be quarterly after that...I'd love to have all these in less than 8 years...but, anyway thanks again to MPI
I completely agree that every other month is the ideal schedule...   I don't think I could swing it every single month (budget-wise)--but quarterly would take an awful long time to complete the series...

Every other month is the schedule they're using for all the Star Trek boxsets, and it seems to be working well.  I hope DS follows suit...