Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0466  (Read 1034 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0466
« on: January 28, 2008, 06:36:28 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0466
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 06:53:21 PM »
Enter Dr. Lang, working the night shift.  Julia's spent her professional life looking for a vampire.  What has Dr. Lang been looking for?  Other than a malpractice suit, I mean.  Julia's looking like a lily-white model of medical virtue next to Lang.  Hasn't it occurred to him that maybe Barnabas would like to be consulted before being given a massive injection of heaven knows what?  And golly, he's sure of himself.  How would he have explained it to the front desk if Barnabas had shrizzled to nothing before his very eyes when he opened the curtains?

And then there's Nurse What's-Her-Name with the phony accent.  Is she pretending she comes from the English branch of the What's-Her-Name family?  As is usual for nurses on Dark Shadows, she is unpleasant.  And I wasn't impressed with how she didn't insist on speaking with a member of Barnabas's family when she called Collinwood.  She didn't even bother to find out with whom she was speaking.

All in all, I'd say Collinsport Hospital gets the dregs of the medical profession these days.  Julia has every reason to want to get Barnabas out of there as fast as possible.  I'm shocked that she's not trying to get Vicky out as well.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 10:12:31 AM »
This episode has one of my favorite scenes. [snow_cheesy] Dr. Lang to Barnabas: "It is four o'clock, yes, but four o'clock IN THE AFTERNOON!" Then, Dr. Lang throws open the curtains, and Barnabas covers his eyes and screams! OOOH! I love it! [luv] I played it over again about five times! [clap2]

I guess Barnabas was knocked out in the accident; but, of course, he couldn't die! [snow_wink]  Dr. Lang knew exactly what to do for Barnabas. I loved Julia's chutzpa, calling for an ambulance right away to move Barnabas. [snow_smiley] But she was no match for Dr. Lang. He was able to do for Barnabas in one day what Julia wasn't able to do for months! I bet Julia was jealous of Dr. Lang's expertise. [snow_angry]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]   
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 02:16:25 PM »
Hasn't it occurred to him that maybe Barnabas would like to be consulted before being given a massive injection of heaven knows what?  And golly, he's sure of himself. 

Doctors almost always want to bulldoze their way through situations, and back then, fewer people were questioning this.    People weren't talking "patients' rights" yet.    Mainly, though, I think Lang didn't want to try to have a conversation with an out-and-out vampire.     As far as he was concerned, he had a Dracula in his hospital, who was about to start wreaking havoc.     I doubt anyone would have thought that a patient has a right to continue to be a vampire, if anything can be done about it, even if it's a risky treatment.    Once he's "human", then he has rights, I suppose.

As for his self-assurance, Lang is pretty typical in his attitude (amongst doctors), even down to his strange (booming) vocal style.    Doctors live in their own strange world separated off from the everyday world, where they rule, and when no one questions what you do, you get weird, because you care only about your own judgment, not that of the outside world... maybe you even start to talk funny.     

We're up to Lang already?    If only we'd gotten much more of those kinds of moments with Barnabas at the window, where he came to appreciate one thing after another about human everyday life, and we got to see it all change him.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 02:34:28 AM »
     I have to disagree with you, Magnus.  Dr. Lang is not like any doctor I have ever met.  By the way, my brother is a doctor and he is rather short and soft spoken.   My own doctor is also soft spoken and a bit of an old hippie.  Dr. Lang needs to tone it down a bit. [snow_sick2]  He reminds me of the old pitchmen that say I am not a doctor but I play one on TV.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 03:00:47 AM »
     I have to disagree with you, Magnus.  Dr. Lang is not like any doctor I have ever met.  By the way, my brother is a doctor and he is rather short and soft spoken.   My own doctor is also soft spoken and a bit of an old hippie.  Dr. Lang needs to tone it down a bit. [snow_sick2]  He reminds me of the old pitchmen that say I am not a doctor but I play one on TV.

My life has been a nightmare because of 28 years of struggling to be listened to by dozens of doctors, and to have a severe condition dealt with, and I can't keep up the struggle any longer.   I've encountered a solid brick wall of casual contempt and dismissiveness, as well as twisted personalities that you would to see to believe.     This is a painful subject, so I'm not saying this to start a debate, but just to state there's another side to this.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 04:45:37 AM »
The ending sequence is great. I actually thought Barnabas was a goner when I first saw this episode long ago. I've since realize that since Dr. Lang was so interested about 'legendary conditions' he wasn't going to let him die.

I thought that nurse was rather strict about visitors. If Vicki couldn't have any visitors besides relatives then she would have had a very lonely and very boring hospital stay.

Our very first introduction to Jeff Clark.

My thoughts on Roger Davis: some of his characters were better than others. I liked Peter Bradford, I liked Jeff. Couldn't stand Ned Stuart (control freak), Dirk Wilkins was a bore (at least until he, uh, changed) and
Charles Tate, while I admit played some importance during the 1897 story, got on my nerves at times.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 05:23:20 AM »
Roger Davis is at his best when he plays "crazy".    Dirk became a special kind of weirdo when he was placed under the control of someone who then vanished... and he stayed possessed!   Centegenarian Tate in 1969 was also great to watch.