Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0795  (Read 635 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0795
« on: September 20, 2014, 04:46:44 PM »
Robservations #795

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0795

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 03:48:25 AM »
So very much happens here that an important plot point is ignored. Quentin's face is restored when he changes back from werewolf form. Obviously, it's the hand's doing somehow. But how? Why? Was this transformation, as well as Evan's, meant to be temporary from the start?
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 05:31:48 PM »
Maybe after lying dormant for so many years, the hand was stretching its legs, so to speak. In any case, we get lots of Quentin chest hair in this ep!   [ghost_grin]

I read somewhere that there was no room for the TelePrompTer on the Pit and the Pendulum set (paging Edgar Allan Poe!), so DS and MS did a lot of improvising. At any rate, they seem to have had lots of fun.

Somehow Aristede manages to make the much taller Quentin lie on the table. The Dancing Girl probably helped, but maybe Quentin's muscles were cramped after he was tied up in the chair for so long and he didn't have the strength to just give Aristede a swift kick.

The prop people actually remembered to have a counterweight on the pendulum. Kudos to them.

Angelique for once keeps her word, and Barnabas returns home with the box containing the hand. Julianka tried to grab it from him, but in her ignorance she has vastly underestimated him. Eventually she persuades him that she's the only one who can help Quentin, so he hands the box over. But as she's walking through the woods, Barn accosts her in bat form, then as himself. He doesn't complioate his, um, life further by biting her, but simply uses his vampire's gaze to put her under his spell. As meek as Charity, she let him bring her back to the OH and take the hand, which he says he will keep until she needs it for her spell. How long it will take to cure the curse? asks Barnabas. It isn't necessary to wait for a full moon, Julianka replies. Bring Quentin here, and I will do as you want. I'll bring him tomorrow night, Barnabas says. There isn't a full moon tomorrow night, says Julianka. Why not before tomorrow? He's already gone through one transformation tonight, Barnabas explains. You see, someone tried to use the hand on him. Yes, Julianka says, used by the wrong person, the hand is uncontrollable, and almost always evil. Your friend must be cured, and then you must let me take the hand away from here, because there are people who would kill to get it.

Aristede is in the woods, waiting for Angelique. He checks his pocket watch, and Angelique joins him a moment later. With a bow, he tells her, It's an honor that my little puppeteer has come to see me--I was afraid you wouldn't. You have no idea how curious I am, Angelique replies. I've thought about you often since our last meeting, he says. I’m sure you have, she answers. I checked the local newspaper, something I never do, he continues: You are NOT a puppeteer. She bursts out laughing. He grabs her arm as he advises her ominously, Don't laugh. Angelique says impatiently, If you've come after that ridiculous hand-- The hand you took from me, he says angrily. Do I look such a fool? What do you want? she asks. To talk of your fiancé, he replies. I know considerably more than I did before about you. I'm sure you can talk about Quentin with whoever told you so much about me, she says dismissively. Do you care for him very much? Aristede asks. And if I do? she asks indifferently. Do you intend to marry him? Aristede asks. Tell me, and quickly. What's the rush? she asks. He checks his watch again and says airily, A moment of two makes no difference to me. Does it to you? No? It does to Quentin--he only has 30 minutes left to live. Such a pity for a man so young! Where do you have Quentin? Angelique demands angrily. Do you want my handkerchief? Aristede asks tauntingly. Do you have a small doll hidden in your pocket? Shall I begin to choke again? I think not. Angelique snarls, I can do far worse to you. I advise you not to do anything, Aristede tells her. Give me the hand and Quentin will live--it’s all very simple. Just give me the hand. As she takes a step toward him, he warns, Don’t come near me, and don’t try any of your tricks. Quentin has already started to die, and only I can stop it. So if you do anything to me, you’ll lose him. Seeing her eyes widen, Aristede laughs evilly. I don't believe you, she says defiantly. What do you mean, he’s already started to die? Aristede checks his watch again and calmly answers to Angelique’s horror, Twenty-eight minutes, that’s all. The hand, if you please!

In the dark, dank room beneath the mill, the gears turn, and the blade squeaks as it swings ever closer to Quentin’s chest. He watches it, terrified. He struggles to free himself--but in vain....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 09:44:38 PM »
I felt as if I'd turned over two pages at once at the start of this one.  I rewound to check the last cliffhanger... so the wolf trotted along at their heels into town compliantly, I guess, past townsfolk?  Welcome, mill, where the Lair may or may not be. 

Barn bites Julianka.  Rest of stable:  Sandor, missing, Beth, policeman at station house, missing.  ?  Petofi Box in end credits. 

Roger-- Good to see you posting here!  Are you watching along with the WP?  Yes, I take it for granted that the face malformation was meant to end at a certain time.  We hear Magda assume this after Even refuses to tell how he recovered, but we had no guarantee, of course.  I wondered why Quentin wasn't just hiding out, waiting to change back.  If the Hand had to choose to change him back, maybe the transformation without the full moon was its "price".  It doesn't like doing stuff for people, much...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 02:39:05 AM »
I'm not watching the episodes right now, just going on memory. The hand, at least in its current state seems to be quite unpredictable. The "facelifts" performed on Evan & Quentin were temporary but whatever it did to Charity Trask seems more permanent.
Fade Away and Radiate