Author Topic: vista theatre halloween party  (Read 9586 times)

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
Re: vista theatre halloween party
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2006, 03:17:26 AM »
And apparently he didn't want anyone to leave before Nancy Barrett's show, told ppl, FORCEFULLY, to sit down, suggesting he would have made ppl stay even if they didn't want to. [hall2_rolleyes]

I left
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2006, 03:25:48 AM »
Thanks for posting those pics Midnite!
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2006, 04:03:49 AM »
There are always newbies, Housefly Cameo, and without them the fandom will never thrive.;)

I'm sorry for all the newbie questions today, but can someone explain to me the nature of Jim Pierson's role within the DS universe or with Dan Curtis Productions? Was he a DS fan who got involved with Dan's production company, or was he a Dan Curtis Productions employee who was put in charge of all the DS marketing? Inquiring minds and all that...

Jim Pierson went to work for Dan Curtis Productions sometime around 1988.  He got a TV and/radio production type of degree in his native Texas before moving to New York City.  He became the chairman of the fests in 1986 and later moved to California to work for Dan Curtis and his production company.  He was or soon became the director of marketing and PR for DCP.  While producing DS stuff at MPI in Chicago Jim started to also produce other videotapes and projects mostly of subjects from the 60s and 70s that had nothing to do with DS.  It's not unusual for someone to work with one production company and also do other work for others on a project-by-project basis.  Jim now exec produces projects on behalf of DCP and is still the go-to person regarding licensing and merchandising issues.  Jim was the associate producer on the WB DS pilot.  I know all this only because I've been asked several times about Jim so this is the scoop plus I've known him since 1986.   [hall2_grin]

Nancy 

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2006, 04:06:32 AM »
I asked her to sign a photo of her as Dr. Hoffman and she was very gracious and friendly.  I was tickled crimson.

I have a photo that she signed for me back in the '90s - and I've been tickled crimson about the experience too.  [hall2_wink]

Do you have a photo of yourself tickled crimson? I'd like to see it. [hall2_kiss]

Nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2006, 04:08:45 AM »
Roger Davis' name was dropped from advertisements before the event, nor was it on the marquis, so he really wasn't a no show.
What about Joan Bennett? [hall2_wink]

She couldn't make it. She was still resting.

Nancy

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2006, 04:16:37 AM »
And apparently he didn't want anyone to leave before Nancy Barrett's show, told ppl, FORCEFULLY, to sit down, suggesting he would have made ppl stay even if they didn't want to. [hall2_rolleyes]

I left
Hellfire and damnation await.  [hall2_grin]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2006, 04:17:49 AM »
Do you have a photo of yourself tickled crimson? I'd like to see it. (kiss)

If I did, it wouldn't be able to be posted here.  [hall2_grin]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2006, 04:21:00 AM »
Housefly, I hope you do not think it condescending or anything if I say something of an orienting nature about Jim.   As any life expereince will tell you, the guy or gal at the top will always have defenders and detractors.  Always.  You will have fans say Jim is "self important" but the reality is this is the guy who is in charge of the Dan Curtis universe now and the DS stuff has been in Jim's hands since he started at DCP.  He was a fan of the show who went on to work for its creator.  Jim did work for DCP that involved all of its ventures and not just DS just as he works for MPI producing videos that are not DS-related.  He is important in the DS universe because he's the guy who can or cannot give permission for projects, licenses, etc.  I know from my own experience in fandom that sometimes other fans will resent you for doing something they would like to do themselves Or don't get that what you is a business that involves the DS fandom.  Sheer ignorance can lead to some uninformed opinions and nasty remarks about Jim but then some experiences like mixed communications rightfully frustrate fans.   It's also good to remember that a bad business decision doesn't mean the person who made the decision is a bad person - just made a dumb or unpopular decision.  

My policy is to not take the word of anybody on anyone else (friend or not) and make up my own mind based on my personal experiences.  

Nancy
(Dr. Phil's unsolicited assistant)

Okay, so not super popular here.

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2006, 04:32:42 AM »
Hellfire and damnation await. [hall2_grin]

Bless me SMJ for I have sinned
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2006, 04:38:05 AM »
I have to say that I wasn't expecting much from this thing either. And it was in California, which totally nexed my going from the get-go. But, I did like the flyer for it. lol

And HOW COME NOBODY has mentioned the TONS of orbs in all these posted pics? As a ghost hunter enthusiast, I am pleasantly surprised. There was especially A LOT of them in the background of one of the wide table shots that included Marcy Robin, as well as in one of the pics of the stars getting out of their limos.

Sorry I missed the David Selby thing, but maybe we can hope that it will become a regular event and they'll knock off some of those clip shows!  [female_skull]
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2006, 04:42:24 AM »
well with all this said and done I am glad I didn't hop the plane and attend. I'll just wait until the summer and the next fest to see the stars Jim and the most important part of DS my friends [hall2_grin]

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2006, 05:00:31 AM »
And HOW COME NOBODY has mentioned the TONS of orbs in all these posted pics? As a ghost hunter enthusiast, I am pleasantly surprised. There was especially A LOT of them in the background of one of the wide table shots that included Marcy Robin, as well as in one of the pics of the stars getting out of their limos.
what is that wierd circle in the left hand bottom corner of the david selby picture? is that an orb or the spotlight or just dust/dirt on the camera lens?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2006, 05:09:15 AM »
Do you have a photo of yourself tickled crimson? I'd like to see it. (kiss)
If I did, it wouldn't be able to be posted here.  [hall2_grin]

Oh whew, so she was talking to you!   [hall_wink]

Thanks for posting those pics Midnite!

You're welcome!  And I'm not done yet, hee.  The cement ceremony:

Richie Halpern as Julia in sensible shoes; Lara Parker and Kathryn Leigh Scott

Below, left:  Robert Rodan and Betsy Durkin

If Robert Cobert bent down to sign his name, I totally missed it.  Or perhaps Jim Pierson added it for him (below, right).

Karen Black explained inside the theater that DC allowed her to give input during work on Trilogy of Terror.  Among her suggestions was that she have the jagged teeth at the ending.
Her tribute to him was very touching, particularly when she told us that when we feel a sudden gust of wind or a jolt of energy, or hear an infant kicking up a fuss, that would be Dan.

Below, she pointed out that this was her best side.

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2006, 06:29:36 AM »
Housefly, I hope you do not think it condescending or anything if I say something of an orienting nature about Jim.

Nancy! Not at all. When I said "Okay, so not super popular here", it was in response to my asking a question about what his role was and how he came into it, and getting more general negativity than facts. I surmised he wasn't particularly well-liked by some, but I wasn't looking for "dirt", just genuinely curious about his role with DCP. I appreciate the responses!
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2006, 07:24:26 AM »
I was a little jealous of everyone who was able to go until I read all of your accounts, but it does look like everyone had fun.  I have heard that there were fires up near where Chris Pennock lives.  I think that might be what kept him from attending.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."