Author Topic: Collinwood's Answer For EVERYTHING!  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT - Re: Collinwood's Answer For EVERYTHING!
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2002, 10:20:30 PM »
If anything, it's worse today. Back in the 60's we didn't see all these advertisements on TV for all these pills like we do now. Seemingly everyone who's feeling a little blue should be on medication. "Depression is a serious medical condition." I'm sure it can be - but at the same time, the pharmaceutical companies aren't getting rich off a small minority of clinically depressed patients; they're marketing their pills to just about anyone who's feeling a little down, making them think they should go to their doctor and get a prescription, which the doctor is only too happy to dole out for that kickback from the drug company. It's disgusting. It also disgusts me how many school children are being medicated rather than disciplined.

On the topic of anti-depressants, I have mixed feelings about the decision of drug companies to advertise their product, but in their defense I'll admit I have several friends that have benefitted tremendously from these drugs; loved ones are ALIVE because of them.  What I find disgusting is the amount of clinical depression that goes undiagnosed and/or untreated, but the ads have at least aided in bringing this serious problem into the open where it can be discussed.

And what I've seen of the medications that treat ADD, ADHD and other illnesses affecting our children has made me think that in many cases they're a godsend.  Resorting to medication in these instances is never an easy process for caring parents, and I agree with you completely that meds aren't appropriate in all cases of hyperactivity, but I disagree with another of your statements because just as depression is not caused by a lack of self-discipline, behavioral disorders in children are not caused by a lack of parental discipline.

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
Re: Collinwood's Answer For EVERYTHING!
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2002, 10:50:44 PM »
Just a bit of input form the older generation.  My grandmother raised me and if you didn't feel well she figured exlax  was a cure for anything.  Yuck.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
Re: OT - Collinwood's Answer For EVERYTHING!
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2002, 02:38:38 AM »

On the topic of anti-depressants, I have mixed feelings about the decision of drug companies to advertise their product, but in their defense I'll admit I have several friends that have benefitted tremendously from these drugs; loved ones are ALIVE because of them.  What I find disgusting is the amount of clinical depression that goes undiagnosed and/or untreated, but the ads have at least aided in bringing this serious problem into the open where it can be discussed.

As stated, my objection is the willingness of doctors to prescribe these drugs when they are unnecessary because they get kick-backs from the drug companies.

And what I've seen of the medications that treat ADD, ADHD and other illnesses affecting our children has made me think that in many cases they're a godsend.  Resorting to medication in these instances is never an easy process for caring parents, and I agree with you completely that meds aren't appropriate in all cases of hyperactivity, but I disagree with another of your statements because just as depression is not caused by a lack of self-discipline, behavioral disorders in children are not caused by a lack of parental discipline.

I think children who have a very real need for such medicine are a small minority. Friends of mine were forced to put their 8-year old on Ridalin simply because the daycare center found her too unruly. She's a rambunctious child but by no stretch of the imagination is she hyperactive. Daycare providers and teachers would rather medicate than do their jobs and discipline because it's so much easier for them, and the doctors prescribing these drugs have joined forces with them to make money.

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2002, 03:53:38 AM »
I think additional time on testing is a god sent for some children.  My daughter certainly could have used it.  Because she had radiation treatment before she was two she did have some learning disabilities. I wish we had per sued it further.  She was so stubborn she would not be tested.  She struggled and still managed to get pretty good grades but I know having extra time would have benifted her.  She hated the thought of being different than other kids.  Now in her second year of college she still is strong willed.  

Birdie--look who is once again rambling
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: OT - Collinwood's Answer For EVERYTHING!
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2002, 04:08:51 AM »

Oh my God, Midnite, I can't tell you HOW much I appreciate this post. I know the previous sentiments are the popular ones today, and the lack of understanding is actually quite well intentioned. As the parent of a child who desperately needs his medications, I can say that having someone understand is unusual.

Some parents MAY be manipulating the system for learning disorders, I really have no idea. But I have never once heard a parent that was anxious to use medication for their child. If anything, the child loses much precious time in terms of education and self esteem while the parents fight the idea and blame the teachers/school for "not wanting to teach". (My son's teacher is a living saint, God bless her). Thank you for a thoughtful response on a subject I tend to get emotional about.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2002, 06:01:30 AM »

Seemingly everyone who's feeling a little blue should be on medication.

I take my happy herbs, St. John's Wort. It helps me with reactions to loss.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan