Author Topic: Collinwood's Answer For EVERYTHING!  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Bouchard

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique Bouchard is the BEST
    • View Profile
Collinwood's Answer For EVERYTHING!
« on: September 09, 2002, 12:39:54 AM »
Is it just me, or lately in Dark Shadows, has it seemed that the whole cast turns to sleeping pills to make things better? In just one episode, at least half of the cast asked another 'You should take a Senative'.

^I didn't spell the last word right, someone help me out here!

There's now something in my signature, because I do want something in my signature

~~BrandonBouchard

Offline scout75

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
Re: Collinwood's Answer For EVERYTHING!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2002, 12:47:34 AM »
'You should take a Senative'. I didn't spell the last word right, someone help me out here!

You're close, Days: the word is "sedative". :)

I also like Nelly Furtado a whole bunch! [thumb]
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2002, 01:53:04 AM »
That's what everybody did back then.  Pop a pill.   They also drank like fish, smoked like chimneys and ate fat and cholesterol like they were at an ancient Roman banquet.  

I remember on an old Tom Snyder talk show, when he told a doctor that his mother lived to be in her nineties and when she died, it was in her sleep, no warning.  Until that moment, the woman drank like a fish, smoked like a chimney (unfiltered Camels) and ate meat and mashed potatoes covered with butter and gravy, followed by chocolate cake for dessert.  He wondered why she was able to do that (and by his recollection, many of her relatives and friends) and live to be a totally independent woman way into her nineties, while today if we just do one of those things once, we're dropping dead in our forties.  The doctor answered:  "No one ever told her those things were bad for her."

Gerard (Who remembers when George Burns, also well into his twilight years, was on Johnny Carson.  Here's Johnny scolded him for smoking and drinking at his age, wondering what his doctor said about it.  To which George Burns answered:  "My doctor's dead.")

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2002, 02:30:23 AM »
Yeah, it's either "Have a sedative", "Here's a brandy", or "Let's have a seance"...

MrsJ.

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2002, 03:06:05 AM »
That's what everybody did back then.  Pop a pill.

And in the early 80's, everybody popped reds.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2002, 05:49:37 AM »
Isn't it funny though, that my generation of promiscuous, drunken pot heads looked down on the older generation for popping pills? Geez, where did we get off? Mother's Little Helper is the perfect example of the attitude. Now that I'm in A.A., I know it is ALL THE SAME. Heck, I knew it then, I raided my mom's medicine cabinet! (Please note, I regret MUCH of my youth!)
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2002, 06:07:27 AM »
..."Have a sedative", "Here's a brandy"..."Let's have a seance"...

Hey, I'm up for all three!
[beer] [ghost]
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2002, 08:28:58 AM »
(Please note, I regret MUCH of my youth!)

I regret much of mine too, kuanyin. I'm just amazed that I graduated from highschool with a B+ average. I wish I had been involved in after school sports and activities, which is what I want to try to encourage my daughter to do.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2002, 09:32:38 AM »
Gerard (Who remembers when George Burns, also well into his twilight years, was on Johnny Carson.  Here's Johnny scolded him for smoking and drinking at his age, wondering what his doctor said about it.  To which George Burns answered:  "My doctor's dead.")

LOL!! Leave it to George Burns to come out with that line!

I guess Im just a firm believer in fate and that when it's your time to go, it's your time regardless of what you do. Just take a look at Grayson Hall, I believe she had even quit smoking for years before she developed lung cancer, and yet there are others like you mentioned who can smoke until their in their 90's and never get anything.

As for the Collinwood pill popping, it's really not at all that different today. Before it was sedatives, now it's Valium and Prozac! :-)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2002, 02:59:45 PM »
As for the Collinwood pill popping, it's really not at all that different today. Before it was sedatives, now it's Valium and Prozac! :-)

And along with that, even doing healthy things can get outta control.  I just hafta workout everyday, and some days I'm at the gym at five-thirty in the morning, running on treadmills, pumping away on cross-country machines, lifting weights.  Five-thirty in the morning.  If that ain't an obsessive addiction, I don't know what is.  We can't even take the right things and do them without ending up on Oprah.  But then, life would be rather dull.

Gerard

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2002, 04:08:59 PM »
Just take a look at Grayson Hall, I believe she had even quit smoking for years before she developed lung cancer, and yet there are others like you mentioned who can smoke until their in their 90's and never get anything.

Cassandra, from everything I've read about Grayson, she quit smoking just several years before she died but it was too late.  She declined very quickly. Some of us are predisposed to getting certain diseases.

I did an internship years ago at a pulmonary health facility and a man, around 52 years old, had smoked for most of his youth and adult life.  He had injured himself  on his job, causing an injury to his lungs which hastened the development of emphysema.  So actually, the emphysema, dormant for so long, manifested it-self rapidly due to his injury.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2002, 07:53:37 PM »

Hey, I'm up for all three!
[beer] [ghost]

I'll second that motion!

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2002, 08:35:11 PM »

If anything, it's worse today. Back in the 60's we didn't see all these advertisements on TV for all these pills like we do now. Seemingly everyone who's feeling a little blue should be on medication. "Depression is a serious medical condition." I'm sure it can be - but at the same time, the pharmaceutical companies aren't getting rich off a small minority of clinically depressed patients; they're marketing their pills to just about anyone who's feeling a little down, making them think they should go to their doctor and get a prescription, which the doctor is only too happy to dole out for that kickback from the drug company. It's disgusting. It also disgusts me how many school children are being medicated rather than disciplined.

I better stop my rant now!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2002, 09:05:34 PM »
It also disgusts me how many school children are being medicated rather than disciplined.

It's even more sinister than that Dr. E.L.

Here in NY State, kids who have been diagnosed with learning disorders are given additional time to take standardized tests....which is only right.

But you would not believe the number of kids from educated, wealthy families (who can find and pay the right doctors) who are SUDDENLY diagnosed with learning disorders in High School, after perfectly normal successful elementary and middle school careers....JUST so they can take more time on the ACT's and the SAT's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rant all you want....I always do!!!!!

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2002, 09:30:06 PM »
And along with that, even doing healthy things can get outta control.  I just hafta workout everyday, and some days I'm at the gym at five-thirty in the morning, running on treadmills, pumping away on cross-country machines, lifting weights.  

Hey good for you Gerard! I know what you mean about trying to live healthy.  Every evening I jog 3 miles here on a trail that's pretty close to my house. Never miss a day, whether it's 98 or 10 degrees outside, Im there!  Been doing this for over a year now. (Have to admit though, I do this mainly because I just love to eat)

All this brings to mind the attractive black female athlete Flo who had won on the U.S. Women's running team  several times in a row years back.  She had been running for years and was in excellent shape, only 36 years old and suddenly died from a heart attack!!  (Fate again ?)
"Calamity Jane"