Author Topic: Guest?  (Read 704 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Guest?
« on: April 21, 2002, 09:39:00 AM »
I'm curious about how the board determines a guest.  I've assumed that as soon as one accesses the home page, the board knows that someone is there, but if unregistered, they are listed as a guest.

However, if I see x number of guests and y number of users listed, after I sign in, unless another guest appears just at that moment, I would expect that I had originally been counted as a guest and therefore that number should go down by one and the users up by 1.

The user listing does increase, but the guest stays the same.  (Sometimes there IS a change in that short time.  When my name is added to the list of users, the rest of the list sometimes is also different.  So, it's possible that there is also a change in guests just at that moment.  But, surely it couldn't happen every time.)

For instance - when I first came back this time, it listed 1 Guest and 4 Users - with their names.  I would imagine that I was the 1 Guest.  After logging on, that should change to 0 Guests and 5 Users.  It DID go to 5 Users - the previous 4 + me, but it stayed at 1 Guest.  Again, unless by coincidence someone else arrived just at that moment, it doesn't make any sense to me. And, since this seems to always happen, surely that coincidence couldn't happen each time!!
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Guest?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2002, 07:17:48 PM »
The impression I've gotten from browsing around the YaBB message boards is that the guests and users totals are handled differently from each other so perhaps it takes the system a little longer to update the guests total on the boardindex page. I honestly don't know, though, because I've never investigated the code for these features. But again, it's probably something that a member of the YaBB Development Team would be happy to explain to you. :)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Guest?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2002, 12:58:51 AM »
Thank you, again!  It's not important enough to pursue, just something I've been curious about. :)
Josette