Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0319  (Read 1133 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0319
« on: June 14, 2007, 07:21:29 PM »

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0319
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 07:59:41 PM »
I really liked this show. We know that they are building up to something is going to happen on Friday.  I must admit that I like to see Barnabas in the long robe. I wonder if Barnabas ever got tired of just always wearing a suit. That reminds me you see most of the guys always in suits. No Sweatshirts, sweaters but not  T- shirt.  I wonder if they got a discount on she suits.  Do the rich always dress up like that.

Maggie deciding what was going to be done that was refleshing, no more weak Maggie. I loved when everyone gathered around to hear the news at the Bar. Then when they got it they went to their seperate tables.  Barnabas is at odds now with being cured,  and he just goes ahead and is reckless like the attack. Maybe he just wanted to see if he could do it. Maybe he wanted to show something to Sarah.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 01:48:30 AM »
So.  Sarah stops Barnabas from killing David, and Barnabas goes and attacks some random girl.  And her life isn't as important as that of the young Collins heir, is that the idea?  I'm sort of puzzled about the attack.  Apparently Barnabas did bite her, but he didn't strangle her.  I guess the first-bite-then-strangle M.O. wasn't developed until the trip to 1795.  And the whole bond between vampire and victim doesn't seem to apply here.  Is that because Barnabas wasn't interested?  How shattering to be attacked by a vampire and consequently to have your whole life suddenly focused around him - and then to have him say, "I changed my mind.  Go away."

We've got some nice period sexism in this episode, with Sam and Dave making decisions about Maggie's life without even consulting her.

Bob the Bartender got several lines today.  I'm not sure he ever talks as much again during the whole series, and you can see why.  That voice is just not up to Dark Shadows standards.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 10:59:58 AM »
I must admit that I like to see Barnabas in the long robe. I wonder if Barnabas ever got tired of just always wearing a suit. That reminds me you see most of the guys always in suits.
I like Barnabas in the long robe, too.  [luv] I noticed that, too - about men always wearing suits.  ... And the women usually wear dresses.  I guess rich people like to dress up?  (No, that's not right - Dr. Woodard and Maggie aren't rich, and they wear suits and dresses, respectively.)  I guess maybe people dressed up better in those days? [idontknow]

I agree, it was fun to see Sam "acting" drunk and "letting it slip" (wink, wink) about Maggie - and Sheriff Patterson playing along.  He even said he would have a drink with Sam!  (Maybe it was a nonalcaholic drink?) [winkg]  How convenient that the right person - Willie - just happened to be at the bar at the right time.

Hooray for Maggie getting her backbone back! [cheer]

----- Sally -----

[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 05:43:56 PM »
The WW2 generation used to go on and on about how the kids didn't dress up anymore, those damn kids with their blue jeans, which were thought of previously as something you'd just wear on the farm.     It was bad enough that men didn't wear hats everyplace anymore....

Yes, rich people dress up.   That's how you can tell right off that they're rich.  What's the point, otherwise?    I'm sure they also had lovely expensive bath oils to get rid of the tuna stink.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 03:36:51 AM »
I love how complex a character Barnabas is becoming in these episodes - all that outward wrath covering up a slowly crumbling interior of fear, vulnerability and desperation.  That's quite a tall order for a mere "soap opera" character.  Very intelligent writing and superb understated acting by Frid.

His scene with Willy was great.

I love KLS but why do her eyes dart so much when she is in closeup?