Author Topic: vicki's return from 1795  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: vicki's return from 1795
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 05:12:43 PM »
Then of course, they repeated that theme over and over.

Just thought of this--Maybe DC's personal life theme, or motto, was "Stick with what works!" Even if that meant doing everything the same. LOL
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 07:49:40 AM »
1795/6 was changed by Barnabas (and Eve?) before the 1897 storyline.

Re buzz-- The "divergent time line" thing sounds like a science-fiction idea being imported to DS which doesn't relate to the way they dealt with time in DS.    I may be taking an offhand remark too seriously, though.   Anyway, in RT there is only one timeline and in PT there is only one timeline (both separate, unconnected), though each one can be rewritten.    If you prevent an event in history from ever having happened, then it never happened.    It isn't still some real event in another existence that's out there, somewhere.... DS didn't have that infinite-number-of-parallel-universes-where-every-choice-is-played-out thing.

[female_skull] [candle_in_skull_2] [skull_winks]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2007, 05:59:07 PM »
Re buzz-- The "divergent time line" thing sounds like a science-fiction idea being imported to DS which doesn't relate to the way they dealt with time in DS.    I may be taking an offhand remark too seriously, though.   Anyway, in RT there is only one timeline and in PT there is only one timeline (both separate, unconnected), though each one can be rewritten.    If you prevent an event in history from ever having happened, then it never happened.    It isn't still some real event in another existence that's out there, somewhere.... DS didn't have that infinite-number-of-parallel-universes-where-every-choice-is-played-out thing.

I don't think we can assume there is only one timeline parallel to RT.  The theory of multiple parallel timelines was offered by Professor Stokes, who hypothesized that his doubles may be living different lives in "many time bands."  But whether there are two or more than two, the DS writers clearly established that they're parallel and I agree that they cannot be divergent.

Love your City Motto!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2007, 07:00:09 PM »
Good answer, Midnite, I'd forgotten that speech.

Love your City Motto!

Why thank you, and arashi too....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline buzz

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 09:23:38 PM »
[I always had the impression that Vicki had simply gone through the same motions that Phyllis had.  In other words, Phyllis arrived at the  Collin's estate addled from the carriage wreck, was accepted into the family as governess and became the scapegoat of Angelieque. In gaol, law student Peter Bradford took pity on poor Miss Wicke and after the trial went badly, he helped her to escape where she then saved Daniel, was recaptured and then hanged.  Since he had taken the rap for Noah's death, he too was tried and hanged.

I think the general idea is that history is alleged to be pretty solid (none of your "treading on a butterfly in the past will destroy the future").  Broadly speaking, as long as the major events take place, the smaller details of how they happened don't matter so much.  The biggest difference probably was that Peter fell in love with Vicki, where he had not with Phyllis, believed that Vicki was from the future and that belief allowed him to find his way to here in the present (this all could have been Sarah's spirit at work).  They found each other in the present and eventually (imo with Sarah's help) both vanished into the past that Peter was a part of and that Vicki had been so entranced by.

I tend to see it the same way as well. Vikki was there to tell the story in a way that was probably very offbeat for its time. Since it was Phylis Wick who was hanged it was likely she who originally went through the motions that Vikki did. Even the unmasking could have been explained to the locals as witchcraft. When Wick was hanged her appearance changed to her "true self" and Victoria Winters could have been thought of as an innocent girl whose identity she assumed.