Author Topic: Parallel Time  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Parallel Time
« on: December 04, 2003, 11:09:19 AM »
One thing that really gets me crazy about the Parallel time room is this:
  Why is it that whenever a RT person overhears people in the PT room, then proceeds to open that door,  the people in the PT room never notice that the door just happens to be opening up by itself?  This happens all the time and it drive me batty!  It would seem more realistic if they just left the door open all the time.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Parallel Time
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 05:03:37 PM »
One thing that puzzles me - in the 1795 flashback we see the family moving into their new house.  So in 1840, just 45 years later there are already large, closed off sections of the house with discarded furniture and cobwebs?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 07:41:07 PM »
Why is it that whenever a RT person overhears people in the PT room, then proceeds to open that door,  the people in the PT room never notice that the door just happens to be opening up by itself?

Perhaps it's a case that the RT people (and we) see the doors open from their perspective, but the doors are already open in PT? Who knows?

But then, when the PT people close their doors, they also close in RT.  :-

Well, I suppose with the way it was handled, there is no logical (always a dangerous term whenever one discusses DS  [lghy]) explanation.  [b003]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 07:52:07 PM »
just 45 years later there are already large, closed off sections of the house with discarded furniture and cobwebs?

I've often wondered if anyone ever lived in some of those sections? The family was almost completely wiped out in early 1796, so until after Daniel married and had children, the only Collins living at Collinwood would appear to have been Joshua, Millicent and Daniel. And even after Daniel initially had his family, the only Collins family at Collinwood would apper to have been Joshua, Millicent, Daniel, Harriet, Quentin and Gabriel. Not exactly a group that might have needed over 50 rooms of living space. Well, unless they played musical bedrooms and moved around the house an awful lot.  [wink2]

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003, 12:31:37 AM »
Hello,

Do you think it's possible that maybe Flora,Desmond, and their bunch lived at Collinwood before relocating to Rose Cottage??

Adra
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 12:40:37 AM »
Hey remind me. . Julia and Justin are supposed to be whose kids?  Bramwell is barnabas' son. . .and how is there a Julia in PT when there isn't one in RT.. . i know we brought this up last time. . . was grayson afraid she wouldn't respond if her character got a new name or was it just laziness with the writers. . gosh there are plenty of good names out there. . .how about Ophelia.  .that a gothic, maudlin, doomed female name. . ??
Julia99

Offline Valerie Collins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2003, 03:40:30 AM »
Hey remind me. . Julia and Justin are supposed to be whose kids?  Bramwell is barnabas' son. . .and how is there a Julia in PT when there isn't one in RT.. . i know we brought this up last time. . . was grayson afraid she wouldn't respond if her character got a new name or was it just laziness with the writers. . gosh there are plenty of good names out there. . .how about Ophelia.  .that a gothic, maudlin, doomed female name. . ??

I'm new to the DS series and I was wondering the same thing as well.  How is it that there is a 1841 PT Julia when she doesn't even exist in 1840/1841?  Julia is from 1970/1971.

The writers should have had Julia to be another character instead of a parallel Julia.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2003, 05:22:27 AM »
In 1970 the PT people eventually saw what to us is RT - and even said that they should stay out of the room - but continued to use it just as much!!

In that time - and now in this one, it seems that the room is a very important used every day type of room - how is it that they have never experienced the change?
Josette

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2003, 11:10:50 AM »
Perhaps it's a case that the RT people (and we) see the doors open from their perspective, but the doors are already open in PT? Who knows?

But then, when the PT people close their doors, they also close in RT.  :-

I've thought about that too MB, but like you've said, the RT time people are able to see the PT ones shutting the door.  It's also funny that you never do see any PT folks leaving the room by that way either.  Whenever someone's watching from RT, the PT people always leave the room by the other door.  And yet, when Quentin & Daphne were trapped in the PT room while listening to Catherine & Morgan, it seemed like people were coming and going through the RT/PT door.  Pretty confusing sometimes.

Julia99 Wrote:
.and how is there a Julia in PT when there isn't one in RT.. . i know we brought this up last time. . . was grayson afraid she wouldn't respond if her character got a new name or was it just laziness with the writers. . gosh there are plenty of good names out there. . .how about Ophelia.  .that a gothic, maudlin, doomed female name. . ??

Valerie Collins Wrote:
The writers should have had Julia to be another character instead of a parallel Julia.

I agree with you both.  They could have easily picked another first name for Julia if she were to be a Collins.  I think it would have worked out pretty good too.  In 1795 we saw G.H. playing the Countess Dupree, and even though she didn't play a Collins, the part worked out well for her and the audience was okay with that.  Same thing with Magda.
  But then again, I suppose there could have been a Julia Collins, as with Morgan Collins, who didn't have a RT counterpart either.

Welcome Valerie to the group! :)

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2003, 01:20:57 PM »
One thing that really gets me crazy about the Parallel time room is this:
  Why is it that whenever a RT person overhears people in the PT room, then proceeds to open that door,  the people in the PT room never notice that the door just happens to be opening up by itself?  This happens all the time and it drive me batty!  It would seem more realistic if they just left the door open all the time.

Maybe the PT folk just wrote it off as being the result of a drafty house!

Gerard

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2003, 02:02:57 PM »
The PT folks were simply savvy enough not to go where they might stumble over a camera. The RT people weren't always so fortunate. ;)

--Mark[/b][/color]

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2003, 06:18:01 PM »
PT Julia and Justin could be the children of Jeremiah Collins.  Morgan could have existed in RT as a son to Daniel and Harriet who died in childbirth or by accident.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2003, 08:13:34 PM »
     I think people of RT spend to much time staring at the PT time people.  It seems alot like staring in a window like a peeping Tom.  Its just so wrong.  However, I think it was even worse in 1970PT because that was Angelique's bedroom.  Voyeurism, pure and simple. :o
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2003, 08:47:05 PM »
Hehe.

I remember my first time around seeing the 1970 Parallel time.When the characters from RT were looking into the room and the first time they showed the portrait of Angelique hanging up.I was shocked!..I didn't know what was going on or the role that Angelique would play in that storyline. I was so excited!

Adra
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2003, 02:10:59 AM »
Julian wrote:
One thing that puzzles me - in the 1795 flashback we see the family moving into their new house.  So in 1840, just 45 years later there are already large, closed off sections of the house with discarded furniture and cobwebs?

That cracks me up too. But who knows, maybe Joshua discovered the phenomenon shortly after moving into the new house, and ordered the East Wing closed off after moving all the old furniture that used to be down in the Old House basement in there.

On the other hand, we know that Judith closed off the West Wing in 1897, and Elizabeth closed off the East Wing in the  present day, so at some point someone must have re-opened the East Wing (perhaps Liz's parents).

Valerie Collins wrote:
I'm new to the DS series and I was wondering the same thing as well.  How is it that there is a 1841 PT Julia when she doesn't even exist in 1840/1841?  Julia is from 1970/1971.

Not all the PT people are exact counterparts of the RT people. Kendrick Young, for example, is not really the counterpart of Desmond Collins. And there's no Morgan in RT either.