Author Topic: The Fest...I mean Weekend...Who's Going?  (Read 8084 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Fest...I mean Weekend...Who's Going?
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2004, 11:48:34 PM »
I'll be assembling my presentation clip tape in the next couple of weeks, so if there's a particular missing scene you'd like to see, post your requests on this thread, and I'll consider them...

Myself, I'd love to do a slide presentation of some exciting behind the scenes and lost scenes shots, but am always afraid slide presentations seem boring to most groups...and I'm not sure if we have a slide projector...

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2004, 04:31:08 AM »
I have been told that Chris Pennock was not invited this year which makes no sense to me. 

Say it isn't so!!!! I love Chris and enjoy his stories. I can't imagin why one of the most lively DS stars would not be invited.  :'( Tell me who to complain to?

LdyAnne

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2004, 05:20:41 AM »
I don't think there's anything personal against Chris Pennock coming. Remember, these weekends or mini-fests, or whatever you want to call them are being done on a smaller scale than the full-on Festivals were. It's why Friday isn't that aggressively programmed and the amount of guests is smaller.

Smaller fests = less attendance = less revenue = less budget for guests...I'm sure he'll be at another one, especially if its done in Los Angeles.

One of the budget-balancing considerations when planning the fests is the amount of guests that have to be flown in, fed, transported, taken care of and accommodated, and the ones that are local and don't need to fly in. Plus, which actors also require their significant other or family members come with them as well.

I'm not that savvy on where a few actors are located, but looking at the guest roster, we have at least 4 that have to be flown in from LA, 1 that doesn't (NANCY BARRETT) and not sure about Lisa Richards and Denise Nickerson...I'm sure if Selby, Parker, or Karlen dropped out, James Storm or Chris Pennock would be coming...

Keep in mind this is just my opinion, since I'm not one of the festival planners, just a presenter.

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2004, 05:45:20 AM »
I spoke too soon.  i didn't realize til after I posted that Lisa Richards lives in the area.  I'm sure Chris will be at a future fest.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2004, 06:13:03 AM »
I'll be assembling my presentation clip tape in the next couple of weeks, so if there's a particular missing scene you'd like to see, post your requests on this thread, and I'll consider them...

Now where the devil is Sheenasma? I know she'll be on here voting for the missing scene featuring "the tongue."  :P

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2004, 08:16:05 AM »
....so if there's a particular missing scene you'd like to see, post your requests on this thread, and I'll consider them...

ALL Selby scenes.   ;D

No....seriously.....can't you show all the scenes???

Myself, I'd love to do a slide presentation of some exciting behind the scenes and lost scenes shots, but am always afraid slide presentations seem boring to most groups

Boring??  No way.  I'd love to see all the behind-the-scenes shots AND lost scene shots.  If some people aren't interested in slides, they can go do something else.  Yes??

-CLC

So this is definitely going to be on Sat.?
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2004, 08:41:18 AM »
I wouldn't say definitely, but most likely..

Which 'tongue' scene would that be? I think I know the one, but want to be sure.

Because the clips are silent, it always seems like an endurance test for the audience, so I try to keep it with as many highlights as possible...

There are so many tiny extended shots or fragments that to see them out of context wouldn't really mean much...

Since the workprint tape I show is b & w, its somewhat hard to judge slight differences and extensions in scenes, unless you've been poring over it relentlessly frame by frame....For example I showed a longer tower flashback which has a longer lovemaking session, a series of drawings by Charles etc...but in LA it went over like a lead balloon...

That said, I will show some clips I haven't shown before...probably almost all full scenes.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2004, 10:07:51 AM »
...but in LA it went over like a lead balloon...

Hmm....really?  I would think the lost scenes would be very interesting.  Since it's silent,  it would be interesting for you to comment/narrate -- things like exactly where the scene was cut from, what was before, what was after, etc.  Also, the gist of what was being said, and so on.

I assume as the gathering date gets closer the day and time of the showing will be announced?  I'd sort of like to know because it might very well determine if I make the trip or not, and if so, what day.

Might be a dumb question but, how come you don't have the scenes in color??

-CLC   :)
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2004, 10:39:07 AM »
There are no dumb questions...only dumb answers :P

The lost scenes are very interesting, and the audience responds very strongly to quite a few...its just that particular one, I felt was hard for the audience to see the immediate difference when I showed it. I think any audience has to take a leap of imagination when viewing these scenes to judge their success and impact. Music and sound effects are crucial to a horror film, and when stripped of that and the dialogue and the color, you really have to imagine how they will play when fully restored...

I do usually introduce each scene and comment during it...

As for the black and white....The long directors cut exists in a black and white work print and in 3 sets of black and white separation master positives. These master positive elements when printed on top of the same piece of negative film stock, using the appropriate yellow, cyan and magenta filters, will produce a new full color film negative of the entire directors cut.

It's not colorization, its the way color films are preserved, when done properly. Its similar to the Technicolor process in that respect...The WIZARD OF OZ camera negative isn't 1 color negative, but three black and white ones that each were exposed with respective RED, GREEN, and BLUE filters to record that part of the spectrum...NODS' isn't Technicolor and the original negative is a one-strip Eastmancolor negative. The existing color negative is only of the butchered PG version. Thank whoever it was back in 1971 that made the black and white protection masters, otherwise color restoration would be totally impossible.

We have a tape of the black and white workprint. The color film will not be recreated and restored until Turner agrees to do it.

The schedule is always a surprise and always has some differences when you get the final program...Once we're closer to the date and I've been told for certain the day and time, I'll post it. I'm 70% sure of Sat.

The hotel's full and  now booking rooms in the overflow hotels, so if you haven't booked rooms yet, by all means do so soon!

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2004, 02:05:11 PM »
I spoke too soon.  i didn't realize til after I posted that Lisa Richards lives in the area.  I'm sure Chris will be at a future fest.

Marie Wallace also lives in the area. . .
Julia99

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2004, 05:20:54 PM »
Which 'tongue' scene would that be? I think I know the one, but want to be sure.

Angelique and Charles in the tower room.  :)

Sheenasma says she originally saw a version in the theater that included that scene, and she had mentioned it a few times, noting "the tongue," so, when you showed it (I think in Anaheim), we were finally convinced that it wasn't just her vivid imagination making the scene a tad steamier than it was.  ;D

And she is going to kill me for posting this.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2004, 10:09:16 PM »
I thought so...I just wanted to hear you say it... :P ;D

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2004, 11:28:58 AM »
And she is going to kill me for posting this.

Damned straight.  Is this any kind of conversation to get going around a widder-woman?

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2004, 07:02:52 PM »

Hi, Darren.  Here's my wish list--

The 1840 flashback-- my favorite.  Reading about it in the movie book isn't nearly as effective as actually seeing it... Angelique at the piano, wearing the dress that only exists elsewhere in a photo, and Laura exploding.

The picnic scene.

Quentin, in riding clothes (rowr), limps into the dining room.

Sorry to hear it didn't go over well the last time, but I'd like to again see Quentin painting in the tower room and making out with Angelique.  :)

Quentin finding Charles' resting (as if!) place.

The seance, definitely.  I love the shot from above, and Carlotta's sudden appearance and exit.

Hopefully I described these correctly.  Looking forward to it, whichever clips you choose!

BTW, and this is off-topic, but I was just reading wonderful things about your interview with Ian Ogilvy for "~~And Now the Screaming Starts", which aired on AMC the other night.  Will have to track it down.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2004, 01:39:40 PM »
Hi Darren i'm with Connie all Selby Scenes are
fine with me!!     Love Anne :P
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow