Author Topic: Speaking of Daybreakers...  (Read 606 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Speaking of Daybreakers...
« on: January 08, 2010, 05:59:48 PM »
(which I just was in one of The Vampire Diaries topics), this review: 'Daybreakers': Troublemakers In A Vampire Nation criticizes the film for containing what it describes as "Dark Shadows-style chamber drama". Um, what's wrong with chamber drama? I suppose that's just too character driven for this reviewer. Apparently the film should only consist of one gory and/or violent action scene after another?  :-\

Why do I suspect he and DC might have gotten along well...

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
Re: Speaking of Daybreakers...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 04:30:50 AM »
Well, apparently it was more than gory enough for this reviewer:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100105/ap_en_mo/us_film_review_daybreakers

However, he also objected to the derivative story-lines and plot devices, the dialogue, and that now VERY familiar plot device:

(Ethan) Hawke stars as Edward Dalton, a bloodsucker who doesn't want to feed on humans, the noble, reluctant vampire sort that's becoming a stereotype (wasn't Buffy dating a broody vamp just like this 12 years ago or so?).

This is bad news, I think, because a reluctant vampire seeking a cure and then redemption has been at the heart of the DS enterprise almost since the Barnabas storyline started.  What was once original is now extremely commonplace in current vampire lore, which apparently annoys some viewers at this point.

I have long been thinking that the current parade of vampire-themed films and programs is going to kill the possible market for a future DS movie, even it turns out to be the best of the lot (and you know I have NO faith in THAT possibility.
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO