Author Topic: Fear of Telephones  (Read 665 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Fear of Telephones
« on: January 07, 2010, 07:36:53 PM »
I realized something the other day when watching part of the annual year end Twilight Zone marathon.  There are three storylines in the Zone and DS (combined) that made a huge impression on me as a kid (which I still think fondly of).  All three involve the use of a telephone by ghosts.  The two Twilight Zones are the one with the old woman who, after a storm which involved downed telephone lines next to a graveyard, keeps getting calls from her long dead fiance.  The other was about the little boy (Billy Mumy later better known as Will Robinson on Lost in Space) who gets calls on his play phone from his overbearing dead grandma(mamama).  And of course, as we are all very well aware of the introduction to Quentin storyline involving the old disconected telephone in the east (?) wing. 

Geez, what is it about telephones and ghosts?!  [snow_huh] As time goes by, I guess it's good to know that cheap thrills are still an option.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Telephones
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 07:14:27 AM »
I think a pretty good story could be dreamed up about a ghost that uses Twitter.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: Fear of Telephones
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 10:00:59 PM »
I love that idea, the phone rings and honestly you don't know who or what is on the other line.

I'd love to see a good story about Edison's proposed machine to talk with the dead.

I have a book my sister got me for Christmas last year that has newspaper accounts of ghosts and ghost hunting from the turn of the century. Apparently it was in practice then to use phonographs to try and record the voices of the dead!