Author Topic: OT - Gettin' Peeved about the Cursing  (Read 4138 times)

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re:OT - Gettin' Peeved about the Cursing
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2003, 04:43:19 PM »
I have made a point of NEVER cursing OR curing anyone on the forum.  That makes it VERY easy to ignore the whole thing completely.

And in the coming weeks after Which Witch sWitch Week, it might be even easier to ignore it...

(But take note of the emphasis on the word "might". [lghg])

having fun with this are we? ;D

jennifer
with all the whining i've heard this week at work
it's good to see someone having so much FUN ;)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2003, 02:07:06 AM »
Oh drat!  I saw the stats a moment ago and while I see that I have moved up to the #2 spot in total# of negative points and #2 in negative posts compared w/positive, I am still coveting that #1 slot.

Posters, I need curses!  Curses!  Curses! ;) :P :-* ;D
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2003, 02:29:35 AM »

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2003, 10:39:11 PM »
 [bigok] Whooooo-hooooo!  I did it!  I'm #1!   [clap]  For Top 10 Total Negatives!   [hello]  Thanks!!!!  :-*

But .... what about  for  # of negatives over # of positives?  Hey ... what is this?  I need another 30 or so to get #1 there!!! [bawling2]

But ... but I can count on everyone here to help me, right?   [crowdhappy]
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2003, 03:07:54 PM »
Note of interest--Today, out of curiosity (and with extra time on a T1 line) and after talking with a fellow poster-off board. . .I suspected that if you "curse" a particular Profile here, an important one apparently, you're automatically cursed too--. . .i just cursed this individual for being contrary and my tally automatically went up 2 pts. . . I guess that's the karma Midnite alluded to. . .just  a warning to everyone, we're not all equal out here. . .so be careful whom you smite.

Another frickin' reason i hate it. . .
Julia99

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2003, 04:22:12 PM »
Note of interest--Today, out of curiosity (and with extra time on a T1 line) and after talking with a fellow poster-off board. . .I suspected that if you "curse" a particular Profile here, an important one apparently, you're automatically cursed too--. . .i just cursed this individual for being contrary and my tally automatically went up 2 pts. . . I guess that's the karma Midnite alluded to. . .just  a warning to everyone, we're not all equal out here. . .so be careful whom you smite.

Another frickin' reason i hate it. . .

Sorry, but your assumption is not correct.  Any way that you use the feature, or anybody that you use it on, eventually reflects back on your own total.  It doesn't happen with every use-- it accumulates, so your total CANNOT increase solely as the result of curing/cursing one member, and it certainly cannot jump 2 points for using it once.  If there was a sudden jump of 2 points to your curse total then at least one member was cursing you, and at the risk of repeating myself, you cannot know who the member or members were because the feature is anonymous.

The feature works this way whether you bestow a cure or a curse on someone that can't yet use the feature, or on me as a forum administrator, or on any other member, so I honestly don't know what you're talking about when you say that the feature makes a distinction that one member is more important than another.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2003, 07:47:53 PM »
okay to test my theory. . i cursed MB and my curse point automatically went up 2 points--i watched it.  I cured you and my cures went up one point. . there wasn't anyone else (even hidden) on the board at that time. . . :-X
Julia99

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2003, 08:04:21 PM »
okay to test my theory. . i cursed MB and my curse point automatically went up 2 points--i watched it.  I cured you and my cures went up one point. . there wasn't anyone else (even hidden) on the board at that time. . . :-X

I don't get your point at testing a theory that I've already explained to you is wrong.

While you had this page open, I saw 3 other members reading it simultaneously, same as you.  I was also online, with my IM inbox open, and there were others on the forum as well.  So when you say that no one else was on the board at that time, you're wrong again.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2003, 08:15:53 PM »
When i did my little test. . there was no one else about. . i didn't say I just did it. .hence I wasn't necessarily wrong...  but i see people are wedded to their beliefs on this and what i know to be technologically possible doesn't matter a bit.  So let's just conclude this conversation and topic.   
Julia99

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2003, 08:34:05 PM »
When i did my little test. . there was no one else about. . i didn't say I just did it. .hence I wasn't necessarily wrong...  but i see people are wedded to their beliefs on this and what i know to be technologically possible doesn't matter a bit.  So let's just conclude this conversation and topic.   

I misunderstood when you did the test.  But I contend that use of the feature is cumulative; doling out 1 cure or curse does not earn 1 of the same unless you had already accumulated karma for using the feature, and then you start accumulating all over again with the next one.  To see a total number of members online, you have to return to the main page, then to cure or curse someone you have to find their post or their profile, and in the case of the latter you'd have to view their recent messages and then open one of those posts in order to use the feature.  Then to check your own karma totals, you have to open your own profile or one of your own posts.  In that time, you wouldn't have any way of viewing a count of hidden members without returning to the main page.

I agree that this is getting us nowhere, and I will lock this topic per your request once I've had my say.  If you had access to the karma scripts for the forums and I disagreed with what you'd seen with your own eyes, then your insinuation that I'm foolishly "wedded to ... beliefs" would make sense.  And I did not say that what you've said isn't technologically possible; I said that it's not the way the karma feature currently works, and I've been hearing every word you and others have said about the feature so telling me that what you say doesn't matter a bit to me is unfounded.