Author Topic: DS DVD Collection 11  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
DS DVD Collection 11
« on: March 28, 2004, 08:26:13 PM »
I've heard a couple of reports that the latest DVD Collection from MPI - number 11 - features a new look.

The packaging is now a thinner box, half the size of the previous volumes, and the menu design has been completely redone, with a spooky faux Collins Mausoleum.

Can anyone confirm this?  And if so, any chance of some screengrabs of the new-look menus.

http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
Re:DS DVD Collection 11
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 06:41:57 AM »
My package shipped last Thursday from Lexington, KY.  Friday it made it all the way to Wilimington, OH.  At this rate, I may see it Tuesday or Wednesday provided there are no detours or delays.

I'll scan it or cap it as soon as it gets here.

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 02:13:49 AM »
I've heard a couple of reports that the latest DVD Collection from MPI - number 11 - features a new look.

The packaging is now a thinner box, half the size of the previous volumes, and the menu design has been completely redone, with a spooky faux Collins Mausoleum.

Can anyone confirm this?  And if so, any chance of some screengrabs of the new-look menus.

I can confirm it. I received mine late last week. The packaging is half the size of the previous editions, about the size of one videotape. Today Midnite and  I  looked at the menu and it is indeed different. Much better than before. Unfortunately  I don't have the equipment for screengrabs, so you'll have to wait until VictoriaWinters can provide them.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline scottd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 02:00:42 PM »
I haven't checked out the menus yet, but the packaging is indeed much smaller. I like it since now I'll probably be able to fit just about the entire series on one shelf! The new postcard shows a scene with Don Briscoe and Denise Nickerson too, which I loved.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 04:50:55 PM »

Here is a picture of Set 10 against Set 11.  You can really see the difference!

Here is what it looks like on the inside:

I took the liberty of taking a small avi file of the opening so everyone could see.  A few notes:  the little film may look slightly crooked.  All San Pedro homes sloop.  You can take a marble set it on the floor and it would roll down all by itself.

I took this using my computer and digital camera.  It's not the greatest quality but gives you an idea.

It may take a bit to load on your computer.  Please be patient.  It will require QuickTime to play.  It should prompt you to get the download.  It seems to work best in IE.

By the way, thanks MPI.  My storage problems are not so bad now.  Appreciate much.

Click to see new opening.
[/size][/color][/FONT]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 09:01:08 PM »
Thanks for posting this, vw.  [thumb]

If anyone is having problems viewing the AVI, it could be because you don't have the QuickTime plugin that vw's code is expecting or QuickTime is not set to play AVIs for you. The solution for the former is to download/install the plugin. The solution for the latter is to download the AVI to your hard drive and view it using whatever software is setup on your computer to watch AVIs (MediaPlayer, RealPlayer, etc. ...).

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 02:40:14 AM »
It was an experiment for me.   I've never used my digital camera's movie feature to cap a running DVD in my computer before and then got it to play in a web page.  An avi file will also play in Windows Media, but it wasn't very cross browser friendly.  I was also clueless and/or lacked the software to convert the default format for the camera to a mpeg file.

If someone just can't get QuickTime to work, please let me know.  But, I know the code is there to prompt for the download.

Just a note to those Mozilla (Firebird,Netscape, Thunderbird) users.  When you are installing QuickTime, choose to install it to the ProgramFiles/MozillaFirebird/Plugin directory.  Then it works just groovy and should autoplay.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 07:46:25 PM »
It's always "nice" to see that some people just don't (and probably never will) get it:

Fri, Apr. 02, 2004

From TV: 'Homicide,' Paar, 'CSI'
Also out: 'Dr. Quinn' and 'Dark Shadows'

BY TERRY LAWSON

Detroit Free Press

March 30, 2004

"Dark Shadows DVD Collection 11" (TWO STARS out of four stars, MPI, $59.98) continues the task of preserving for posterity even the worst chapters (some 40 more here) of the late-'60s-early '70s cult soap opera about the reluctant vampire, Barnabas Collins (Jonathan Frid).

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 08:27:24 PM »
I finally got to see the new menus in action today and I think they look incredible.  They look a bit naff and Nintendo-esque in screengrabs, but in motion they're very exciting and slick.  Excellent stuff.

I'd love to see them do a similar CGI fly-through around the Collinwood sets - wouldn't that be cool?  All of Sy Tomashoff's blueprints still exist, so they could recreate it perfectly.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

vampire675

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 03:35:26 PM »
I like the new slim look also, but my question is about the durability of the hinges on the disc-holders. They look awfully thin, and 5 years from now, when I may be replaying the episodes for the second or third time, are the disc-holders going to break and fall out when I open the box?

vampire675

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2004, 05:16:02 PM »
Yes it does and I hope MPI continues with this format.  PLEASE.   :D

VictoriaWinters.... you did a great proving it.     ;)

Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2004, 02:51:26 AM »
I finally got to see the new menus in action today and I think they look incredible.  They look a bit naff and Nintendo-esque in screengrabs, but in motion they're very exciting and slick.  Excellent stuff.

Oh yes, it sure does look like a gamer did the opening doesn't it?  I'm really getting excited about my new Playstation2 Game for Christmas at the thought.  :)  Perhaps, it won't make it by this Christmas.  But, I want Santa to bring it to me no later then 2005!

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2004, 04:20:55 AM »
I enjoy the sleek new design of DS Volume 11...
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...