Author Topic: The Newest "Dark Shadows" Novel.......  (Read 6694 times)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Re: The Newest "Dark Shadows" Novel.......
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2004, 12:46:30 AM »
Hawkes' Harbor is on my Xmas wish list. Especially with the many divergent opinions I've seen of it, I'm looking forward to reading it for myself.

If I get the main things on my list -- the extended edition of Return of the King, the Star Wars DVD trilogy, and Hawkes' Harbor, I guess that will mean I've been REALLY good this year.

Hm, something tells me I'm liable to get a rock.

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2004, 06:31:05 AM »

Hey Gothick!

Well I do agree on one point.  Maguire gets very bogged down in the end trying to tie together all that has happened to Elphaba throughout her life with the Baum ending we all know so well.  I had to reread it over and over to get some continuity out of it, which was a little frustrating.

Otherwise count me among those who absolutely LOVE the book, I've read it twice and definitely recommend it to everyone.  He does a wonderful job with character development. He drew me in and got me to truly care about the characters.  And the undercurrents of social, political and religious commentary make a person really think!

Color me confused, I thought Wicked was ON Broadway.  Hmmmmm, anyhoo, I hope when it tours next year it either comes to my hometown or is in LA at the time of the fest.  I really want to see it.

I still need to get a copy of Hawkes Harbor.

And I finally got my copy of Mark Rainey's Deathrealm anthology.  This should definitely be on everyone's Christmas reading wish list.  And you get double your pleasure DS writer wise since Elizabeth Massie has a story in Deathrealms as well.

Always, Minja  8)

Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2004, 09:13:48 AM »
I'll grant that at least there was some character development (or characterizations, which is not meant to be a slight) and fully formed thoughts in "Wicked," but, treading on dangerous ground here since so many people are so enthusiastic about "Wicked", I personally found the book distasteful.  It perverts everything that made Baum's works so wonderful - completely subverting both the spirit of the original, not to mention the spiritual.  On top of that Maguire's writing tended to make me gag.  On the whole, the book was far better received by readers who were not familiar with Baum's books.  Thank you, Maine Girl, for your very detailed critique of "Hawkes Harbor."  I don't know if you're right or not, but Hawkes Harbor sounds dreadful, at least to those readers who are inclined to analyze the finer points.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2004, 03:33:22 AM »
just finished it and i did like it. It has DS written all over it even though she did change a few things
and i'm not siure i liked the ending or not! i see some of your points Maine girl but guess i liked it
because it was DS and Willie. it is choppy and jumps around a lot and i quess i'd like to see a review from someone who
never heard of DS and read the book!
what page is the name from DS on I could go back and search but i'm much too tired!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2004, 02:50:43 PM »
i quess i'd like to see a review from someone who never heard of DS and read the book!

Go to Amazon and type in Hawkes Harbor and look at the section for editorial reviews. Then click on all editorial reviews. Publishers Weekly and Booklist both reviewed it.  :)

It made all the trades and a lot of other papers, unfortunately I can't link to them because they're subscription based.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga