Author Topic: #0107/0108(_0109): Robservations 08/06/01: Revelation; Vicki in BIG Danger  (Read 1348 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Episode #107 - I have lived through a terrifying week at Collinwood--twice someone has tried to kill me. Now at last the sheriff is asking questions--and a friend has arrived in Collinsport--a friend who wants to help and protect me.

An anxious Frank Garner joins his father in the sheriff's office and asks what's going on. I didn't expect you so soon, says Richard. I rushed to get here, where' s Vicki? asks Frank. She's already been in for questioning and left about half an hour ago, reports Richard--she's probably back at Collinwood. Is she all right? Frank asks. For a girl who's been through what she has, she seems to be fine, says Richard. What's happening with Roger Collins? asks Frank. They're checking out his alibi, says Richard, which I now have no reason to doubt. How can you say that? demands Frank, only this morning you told me someone's been trying to kill Vicki, someone tried to run her down--and the only person with a motive was Roger Collins. It wasn't Roger, says Richard--he stopped at a gas station last night, miles away from Collinwood at the very time Vicki was run down--when they find the station, I'm sure the attendant will verify his story. But if it isn't Roger, asks Frank, who is it?

I don't know the culprit is, says Richard, but I'm sure it's not Roger. Somebody's been making attempts on Vicki's life, says Frank, and if it's not Roger, she's still in danger. The sheriff's asking questions, and I have a feeling he'll come up with the right answers, says Richard. Where is the sheriff? wonders Frank. Talking to his deputy, he'll be in in a minute, says Richard. Has he got any other suspects? asks Frank. He's bringing in another fellow for questioning, Sam Evans, a local artist, says Richard. What's his connection with Vicki? asks Frank. Patterson enters and asks Richard, "Still here?" I prefer to stay until my client is freed--do you mind? asks Richard. I don't mind at all, says Patterson, as long as you let me handle my business my way. I'll be quiet as a mouse, says Richard--this is my son, Frank--he came down from Bangor to assist me. Patterson and Frank shake hands. What is this? asks Patterson, a family act? I'd like to sit in on this too, says Frank, I'm a friend of Vicki Winters. I don't mind, as long as you keep quiet, says the sheriff, answering the phone-Yes?--send him in. Sam, enters the office and asks what's going on--why did you send your man after me?--he wouldn't tell me a thing. Sit down, I just want to ask you a few questions, says Patterson. In connection with what? asks Sam--and who are these gentlemen? Roger Collins' lawyers, says Patterson. What's Roger done? asks Sam. I don't recall saying he'd done anything, says Patterson. You can't roust a man from his own house, drag him down here and not tell me what's going on, objects Sam. I'll tell you what's going on, says Patterson--someone tried to kill Vicki Winters. This shocks Sam. Someone tried to run her down last night on the road from Collinsport, explains Patterson. Why would anyone want to kill Vicki Winters? asks Sam. That's what I'm trying to find out, says Patterson. I don't know a thing, says Sam. Vicki Winters says you were the last person that she was with before the attempt was made on her life--she said you were together at the Blue Whale. The camera focuses on Frank, listening intently. Yes, I bought her a ginger ale, we talked for a while, that's about it, says Sam. She said you asked to meet her at the Blue Whale, says Patterson--is that true? Yes, admits Sam. What was the purpose of the meeting? asks Patterson. My daughter said she told her something and I wanted to find out what it was--she said that Vicki thought Bill Malloy had been murdered and she knew who the murderer was. Since it was an accident, says Patterson, why are you still concerned with Malloy's death? Sam shrugs--I'm not concerned, just curious, he says, sitting down--I'm not unique, everyone in Collinsport is curious about the way Bill Malloy died. And that was the only reason you set up this meeting with Vicki--simple curiosity, asks Patterson. That's right, says Sam, listen, nothing that happened at the Blue Whale last night had anything to do with the accident or so-called murder attempt. All right, says Patterson, so, Vicki left the Blue Whale--what happened then? I had another drink, says Sam, then I went for a drive. A drive! exclaims Patterson. Frank reacts, too. I drove down to the ocean to get a look at it at night, says Sam--it's the subject of my next painting. What time did you get home? asks Patterson. Several hours later, says Sam. You were down at the beach all that time? asks Patterson. The ocean happened to be very beautiful, says Sam--I could have stayed there all night. Did anyone see you? asks Patterson. No, says Sam. You're sure of that? asks Patterson. It was a deserted section of the beach--nobody was there, that's why I went there! says Sam--why are you asking me all these questions? I'm just trying to find out as much as I can from ANYBODY who had anything to do with Vicki Winters, says Patterson. Surely you don't have some half-baked idea that I might have tried to run her down, says Sam. I don't have any ideas at all, says Patterson, I'm just asking questions. If that absurd little notion should enter your head, remember this, says Sam, pointing his finger in Patterson's face--two elements constitute a murder or attempted murder--motive and opportunity. The sheriff makes a disparaging noise. All right, so I had the opportunity, where's the motive? demands Sam--I like Vicki, we're good friends, she comes to our house occasionally--I gave her a painting--now what possible reason could I have for wanting to harm one hair on that girl's head? Would you excuse me? asks Frank. You're leaving already? asks Patterson. Yes, I have some business to attend to at Collinwood, says Frank, who leaves the office. You haven't answered my question--why should I want to harm Vicki? asks Sam. Patterson looks at him and shakes his head--all right, you can go, he says. Sam hurriedly leaves. Patterson tells Chris (the deputy, I guess) that Sam is leaving and to keep an eye on him. Richard and Patterson have a staring contest.

6:15 - Collinwood - Vicki enters the dark foyer from the kitchen and turns on lights. She goes into the drawing room and turns on lamps in there, too, then closes the window and locks it. Her skirt, accented with a giant safety pin, is especially hideous. She takes a magazine and sits down with it, listening to the wind. She glances at the magazine, not really seeing anything. There's a knock at the door that clearly scares her, and she hesitantly goes to the door and asks who it is. Learning it's Frank, she opens the doors and tells him he doesn't know how happy she is to see him. What's the matter? he asks. Nothing, she says, it's just that so many things have been happening to me and I was all alone here in the house. You look fine, he says. She thanks him and takes his coat. Dad told me what was going on, he says--why didn't you get in touch with me? They go into the drawing room. I had no reason to until last night, she says--I was afraid of Roger, but I didn't think he'd try to kill me. Maybe he didn't, says Frank. If not him, who did? asks Vicki. What person in this house would want to harm you? he asks--discounting Roger. No one, she says. Are you sure? he asks. David's weird, but I don't think he'd try to kill me, says Vicki (didn't he already)?--and as for Carolyn and Mrs. Stoddard, we're very fond of each other. Do you have any enemies? he asks. Not that I know if, she says. You could have enemies you don't know about, he suggests. That's a frightening thought, she says. What do you know about a man named Sam Evans? asks Frank. Not much, she says. Does he have anything against you? asks Frank. No! says Vicki, he's always been very friendly to me--why? The sheriff brought him in for questioning, says Frank, and he can't account for his whereabouts at eight last night except to say he was out for a drive--but there were no witnesses. He wouldn't try to kill me, says Vicki--he has no reason. That's what he said, Frank tells her--he also said he set up a meeting with you last night, at a place called the Blue Whale. That's true, says Vicki. Why--what did he want to see you about? asks Frank. I'm not sure, she says--he wanted to ask me some questions about Malloy's death, and when I wouldn't answer them, he got very angry at me. Angry about what? he asks. He said he didn't want to be called in for another investigation, she says. Was Evans involved in that investigation after Malloy's death? asks Frank. He was questioned, says Vicki. Why? asks Frank. Because of some accusations Burke Devlin made, she replies--that Roger is guilty of his manslaughter charge from 10 years ago, and that Sam knew about it and covered up for him--but Burke has never been able to prove any of this. Let's suppose that Devlin's theory is true, says Frank, standing and walking toward the piano. Vicki goes to him. What does that have to do with last night? she asks. Evans might have thought you'd gotten hold of the truth somehow, says Frank--that would give him a motive for wanting to kill you. Well, she says, he did seem strange--in fact he acted as though I was keeping something from him that I knew about him. What other information could you have had? he asks. None! she says--oh, but wait a minute--somebody tried to get into my room last night, and that couldn't have been Sam Evans, he couldn't have gotten into the house. Yeah, I'd forgotten about that, says Frank. That rules him out, she says. But still, he says, why does it have to?--suppose Devlin's theory is true--Roger and Evans were in cohoots 10 years ago--wouldn't they still be in cohoots?--they would both want to keep you quiet, for separate reasons--Roger might have tried to break into your room and Evans might have tried to run you down.
I suppose it's possible, says Vicki, but I can't believe Mr. Evans would try to kill me. Maybe not, agrees Frank, but we do know he had a motive! She looks scared, her eyes gigantic in her face.

Frank puts on his coat, saying he'd better check on what's going on at the sheriff's office. She smiles and says she's very glad he's here, she feels safer. I'm glad to be here, he says, holding her by the shoulders--by the way, are you free for dinner tonight? Completely free, she says (aw, play hard to get, Vicki!) Good, he says, I'll be back for you in about an hour. All right, she says, closing the doors after him. Liz comes downstairs and asks her if she's seen David. (I thought Vicki was alone in the house.) Not since this morning, says Vicki. He isn't in his room, says Liz, and not in the closed-off section of the house--he must be outside--it's dark, I'm worried, he shouldn't be outside by himself. I bet I know where he is, says Vicki--to the Old House to talk to some of his ghost friends. Would you mind going down there? asks Liz. Of course not, Vicki assures her. Liz tells her she'll phone Matthew's cottage, since David might be there.
Matthew answers his phone and tells Liz David isn't there. He's disappeared, says Liz, would you search by the cliffs? He's more than likely at the Old House, says Matthew. Miss Winters is going to search for him there, says Liz, would you search by the cliffs? Yes ma'am, replies Matthew, and Liz thanks him. He puts on his jacket, takes a lantern and leaves the cottage.

He hasn't disappeared like this in a long time, Liz tells Vicki, who is buttoning her coat, I'm worried about him. Don't be, says Vicki, I'll find him. She goes out into the windy dark, flashlight shining to light her way.

Richard complains to Patterson about how long it's taking his men to check out a simple alibi. Patterson drinks water and tosses away the cup. Not long, he says, as soon as they call and if he's clear, Roger can leave. Frank returns. Back already? asks Patterson. Where's Sam Evans? asks Frank. I let him go, says Patterson. Why? asks Frank--he couldn't account for his whereabouts last night when Vicki was almost killed. Don't worry, we're keeping tabs on Evans, says Patterson. I just talked to Vicki Winters, says Frank, I think you'd better get Sam Evans back in here. Why? asks Patterson. He could have withheld information about that manslaughter case 10 years ago, says Frank--he could have gotten the idea Vicki knew about it. Come here a minute, Richard orders his son--I want to talk to you. He takes Frank aside and tells him to forget about that manslaughter case--it's a dead issue and Roger was involved. I don't care about Roger, says Junior, I care about finding the person who's trying to harm Vicki!
He returns to the sheriff and says look, if anyone thought Vicki had information harmful to them, that would give them a motive for keeping her quiet. I am aware of the logical assumption, says Patterson, I'm also aware that's a very big if. If I were you, I'd let the sheriff handle this in his own way, says Richard. I'm not out of this, says Frank, and if I were you, I'd get Evan back in here and I'd do it now!--unless you're willing to risk another attempt on Vicki's life--I'll see you later tonight, Dad, he tells Richard, and leaves. I'll be at the hotel, if anything breaks, says Richard, and he, too, leaves. Patterson bangs his hand against the filing cabinet, frustrated.

Sam returns to the sheriff's office and demands Patterson tell him what's going on. Patterson pours coffee. Don't you think dragging me down here twice in one day is a bit too much even for you? asks Sam. I just want to ask you a few more questions, says Patterson. I told you all I could possibly tell you when I was here before! says Sam, angrily refusing coffee. I just want to talk to you about cars, says Patterson. What is this, a joke? asks Sam. No, says Patterson, you don't own a car, do you? You know I don't, says Sam. And you don't borrow Maggie's car very often, either, do you? asks the sheriff. Not often--I prefer getting about on foot, why? asks Sam. I was just wondering, says the sheriff, why you happened to have Maggie's car last night. My driver's license is in order, if that's what you want, says Sam, showing it to him. No, that isn't what I want, says Patterson--what I'm wondering is, is it just a coincidence that you happened to have Maggie's car on the same night that someone tried to run Vicki Winters down! Sam sighs--look, he says, if you still have the same idea that I tried to...you're out of your mind. Maybe, says Patterson, but I don't like coincidences--it was a coincidence that you had Maggie's car--it was another coincidence that nobody saw you on the beach--there are just too many coincidences. Are you so desperate to drum up suspects for this so-called murder attempt that you're going after innocent people? asks Sam angrily. I'm not going after innocent people, says Patterson, I'm just asking questions--and innocent people can answer questions! I have, insists Sam, as George drinks coffee--I have already told you everything I know about last night. Have you? asks Patterson. Yes, says Sam, I also told you I have no reason whatsoever to harm Vicki--have you forgotten that? I haven't forgotten, says Patterson, I just wonder if it's true, that's all. Of course it's true, what reason would I have? asks Sam. Maybe Vicki knew something that you didn't want anybody else to know, suggests Patterson--something to do with that manslaughter case that rook place 10 years ago. That's ridiculous, says Sam. Is it? asks Patterson. Did Vicki tell you she had information? asks Sam. No, says Patterson--maybe you thought she did, even if she didn't. You're grasping at straws and you know it, says Sam--Vicki doesn't know anything that can hurt me--I have no reason whatsoever to harm that girl--and that's the truth! If you really want to sell me, you had better think of some witness that saw you on the beach last night, says Patterson. There wasn't anybody there, I already told you that! cries Sam. Yes, says Patterson, and you didn't stop on the way back from the beach, did you--and nobody saw you get into the car in front of the Blue Whale, or pull away in the direction of the public beach! The street was deserted! says Sam. Yes, and all that was coincidence! insists Patterson. What if it was? asks Sam, I've told you all I know and that's the truth! Is it? asks Patterson, his brow gleaming with sweat--Sam, I think you're hiding something.
I never saw Vicki again after she left the Blue Whale last night, says Sam--if somebody tried to kill her, it had to be somebody else--you've got the wrong man!

Matthew walks up the steps to the Old House. Vicki approaches shortly thereafter, shining her flashlight. The wind blows hard. Vicki looks up and sees a huge stone urn heading toward her--and we see that Matthew was the one who pushed it off the Old House roof!
It falls at her feet, breaking into pieces, and Vicki stares at it, breathing heavily with terror.

NOTES: Why did Matthew try to kill Vicki? Was he responsible for the other two attempts? Why would he do such a thing to her? Are Roger and Sam definitely innocent after all?

Frank really likes Vicki, and he's so gosh-darn clean cut, isn't he? A true knight in shining armor, but to me, pretty dull. Two Garners for the price of one for the Collins family--or is that double the price? Richard is very protective of the family, but Frank is more concerned about Vicki. Is there a chance he might marry her and take her away from all this?

I think Sam is sincere about not trying to kill Vicki. I believe he really does like her. It's just an unfortunate stringing together of coincidences--strictly circumstantial evidence. I think the sheriff really was out of line in the way he questioned him and brought him in twice. Seemed like badgering to me.

Episode #108(_109) - Just when the terror in my life seemed to be subsiding, and the pleasure of a weekend away from Collinwood was moments away, I suddenly found myself facing a situation more horrible than anything I had known.

A terrified Vicki runs into the caretaker's cottage, calling to Matthew, banging on the bedroom door. Matthew comes in and demands to know what she's doing. You startled me, she says, the phone in her hand. What are you doing? he asks, his expression guarded. I have to use your phone, it's urgent--I have to call the sheriff! She says. What do you want with the sheriff? he asks. I haven't got time to tell you now, she says--I'll tell you later. He hits the cut-off buttons, and she gazes into his grizzled, cruel face. (Those eyebrows!)

He hangs up the phone. You didn't answer my question--what do you want with the sheriff? I have to get him up here right away, she insists, someone tried to kill me!--it was in front of the Old House--one of those stone urns nearly fell on me, nearly killed me! You're not making sense, he says. Someone pushed one of those stone urns off the roof, and tried to kill me! It could have been an accident, suggests Matthew. It wasn't any accident, she says, those stone urns don't fall by themselves. Who'd want to kill you? he asks. I'm not sure I know anymore, she says. You don't, he says. Have you seen Roger within the last hour? she asks. Why? he asks. He's been at the sheriff's most of the day, I wondered if he'd come back, says Vicki. I wouldn't know, says Matthew, feeding wood into the stove, I haven't seen him since yesterday. Oh, says Vicki. What did the sheriff want with Mr. Collins? asks Matthew. He wanted to ask him some questions, explains Vicki. Questions about what? asks Matthew. I haven't got time to explain, says Vicki, you'll be told later. I want to know about it now! he says--why did you ask me if I'd seen Mr. Collins today--do you think he pushed that stone thing off the roof? I'm not sure, says Vicki, I've just got to call the sheriff. He lumbers over to her. You're not going to call the sheriff or anyone else! he threatens. Why not? asks Vicki. I'm not going to have the sheriff coming up here, bothering Mz. Stoddard with a lot of questions, she's been bothered enough as it is. Don't you understand that somebody tried to kill me? asks Vicki, nearly hysterical. No member of the Collins family would try to do that, says Matthew. I appreciate your loyalty, but what am I supposed to do--stand here and get killed? asks Vicki. You can stop making trouble, says Matthew, that's all you done since you came to Collinwood--never should have come here in the first place! I'm not going to argue with you, give me that phone! says Vicki. No, he says. All right, she says, and heads for the door. Wait a minute, he says, where do you think you're going? Back to the main house, she says, I'll use the phone there. He grabs her by the arms. You're not going anyplace, he commands. She gazes into his face, eyes wide with terror.

The clock strikes the half hour as Liz paces the drawing room. When David returns home, she asks where he's been. Out playing, he says. Where? she asks. By the cliffs, he replies. You know I don't like you playing out there, especially when it's dark, she says, you might get hurt. I can take care of myself, he says. Why didn't you tell me where you were going instead of just disappearing? she asks. I didn't think you'd worry, he says. That isn't true, you know I worry when you disappear for hours on end, she says. I'm sorry, he says. Promise me you'll never do it again, she asks. I promise, he says. Have you seen Miss Winters? she asks. No, why? he asks. She went out to look for you, says Liz. Where did she go? asks David. The Old House--she was certain you were there, says Liz. That's all she knows, says David. She said she'd be right back, says Liz, I wonder what's keeping her. David shrugs.

Vicki asks Matthew what he's doing. Sit down, he orders her. What for? she asks. I want to talk to you, ask you some q, he says--about Mr. Collins and Mr. Malloy--sit down, Miss Winters. She does, seeing the threat on his face, and gazes up at him.

This isn't the time or place for me to be answering questions, says Vicki. I'm not letting you go until you do, he says. You can't keep me here! she says. Can't I? he asks. What is it you want to know? she asks. What did you find out about Mr. Malloy's death? he asks. You're lying, he accuses her. What makes you say that? she asks. David, he says--he said you think Malloy was killed and you know who did it. I never said anything like that to David, she says. He overheard you to Maggie Evans. David overhears too much, says Vicki. What did you find out? asks Matthew--you'd better tell me--I'll keep you here until you do. I found something that connects Roger with Bill Malloy's death, says Vicki. What did you find? He asks. A fountain pen, says Vicki--Roger dropped a pen the night Bill Malloy died--I found it at Lookout Point--that's near the spot he was killed. You thought that proved something, says Matthew. It proves that Roger was lying, says Vicki--he said he wasn't at the beach that night, but he was. So you went running to the sheriff, accuses Matthew. Not right away, says Vicki. Why not, asks Matthew, if you got some foolish notion Mr. Collins killed Mr. Malloy. I wasn't sure, says Vicki, and besides, the pen was missing, and didn't turn up until last night. How did it turn up? asks Matthew. The sheriff and Burke Devlin found it, says Vicki--they caught Roger digging it up. The sheriff and Devlin--were they up here? asks Matthew. Didn't you know?--didn't Mrs. Stoddard tell you? asks Vicki. I haven't seen Mrs. Stoddard all day, says Matthew, except to pass her in the hall--she hasn't said a thing to me--I often don't know what goes on up at the big house. Now you do, says Vicki. So, you not only went running to the sheriff, you dragged Devlin into it, too, says Matthew. I had to, somebody tried to kill me! says Vicki. You told me that happened just a few minutes ago, he reminds her. It happened at least twice, she says--someone tried to get into my room and someone tried to run me down! It couldn't have been Mr. Collins, says Matthew, he wouldn't have done that. I don't know, says Vicki, he could have been in cohoots with somebody, or. . Or what? asks Matthew. Or else someone else is guilty, says Vicki, someone I don't even know about. Who, for instance? Asks Matthew. I don't know, says Vicki uncertainly, gazing up at him.

David, sitting on the stairs, suggest to Liz that one of the ghosts got Miss Winters. Stop it, she says, I'm in no mood to listen to that. You want to know where she is, don't you? he asks brightly, so I'm telling you what I think. All right, she says, touching his shoulder--go to the kitchen and ask Mrs. Johnson to fix your dinner. Do I have to, I'm not hungry, says David.
Please, do as I ask, she says. OK, he replies, but turns back and says, "You will let me know if Miss winters comes back?" Yes, she says, worried. She goes into the drawing room and about to close the window when she hears a knock at the door. It's Frank, and she invites him in, asking if there's any news of Roger. I'm sorry, he says, nothing yet--is Vicki here? No, she isn't, says Liz. She isn't? he asks, surprised, we have a dinner date--where did she go, do you have any idea? I asked her to go down to the Old House to look for David, says Liz, he disappeared. Maybe she found him, suggests Frank; maybe they're still down there. Liz steeples her fingers and says no, David came in a few minutes ago, alone--he hasn't seen Vicki. How long has she been gone? asks Frank, concerned. About 20 minutes, says Liz, it doesn't take more than five to go there and back. Possibly she's still searching the place, he says--I don't like the idea of Vicki roaming around after these things have been happening to her, he says. Neither do I, agrees Liz. The decide they had better both go after her, and Liz goes to get her coat. Frank looks at his watch, bites his lip. He helps Liz on with her coat and they hurry out into the windy night, Frank holding the flashlight Liz passed on to him.

Liz and Frank return to Collinwood. Liz calls to Vicki, and says she can't imagine where she's gone. Frank expresses worry over the broken stone urn they saw in front--is Liz sure she's never seen it before? Not that I recall, she says--what do you think it means? I think we'd better get the sheriff up here right away, he says. Do you really think something's happened to her? asks Liz. she wouldn't wander off into town without telling you, says Frank. Liz agrees. And she's not down at the Old House, says Frank. Maybe she's still looking for David, says Liz--she still thinks he's missing. That could be, he says, but I don't want to take any chances--do you know the sheriff's number? Yes, she says, but wait a minute--before you call him, let me make a phone call--there's one place she could be--at our caretaker's cottage, Matthew. Why would Vicki be visiting your caretaker? Queries Frank. I called him a little while ago and asked him to look for David, she says, she might have gone over there to see if he found him--I'll check. Liz dials Matthew's home.

I think you've got a lot of foolish ideas in your head, Matthew tells Vicki--nobody around here would want to harm ya. They may sound foolish, but they aren't, says Vicki--I didn't imagine any of these things that have happened to me. The phone rings, and Vicki looks as if she's about to leap up and flee. Matthew stops her with a look and answers. It's Liz. He tells her he hasn't been able to find David. Liz says David is home and safe--has Matthew seen Miss Winters? No, ma'am, lies Matthew. She hasn't stopped by your cottage? asks Liz.
No, replies Matthew, I haven't seen her. Vicki stares at him, realizing he is lying to Liz. Miss winters seems to have disappeared, says Liz, would you take a look around the grounds and see if you can find her? Yes, says Matthew, and hangs up. Vicki rises and goes over to him. What did Mrs. Stoddard want? she asks. She asked me if I'd found David--I told her I hadn't, he says. You said "her" Vicki reminds him--what her, were you talking about me? No, he says. Who was it? asks Vicki. Miss Carolyn, says Matthew. What did she want to know about Carolyn? asks Vicki. She wanted to know where Miss Carolyn is, replies Matthew--she wanted to know if I'd seen her. She knows where Carolyn is! says Vicki--she sent her into town to be with a friend--to get her out of the house--she isn't expecting Carolyn back until late this evening! I wouldn't know anything about it, says Matthew. Are you sure she wasn't talking about me, asking you if you'd seen me? demands Vicki. I wouldn't lie to Mz. Stoddard, insists Matthew, I never lied to her in my life. All right, says Vicki, I believe you. Do ya? he asks. Yes! she says. You look scared, he says--why?--there's nothing to be scared of. I'm not scared, she says, it's just that I think I should be getting home. Not yet, he warns her. Why not, I've told you everything I know, she says--what more do you want? I want you to stop making trouble for the Collins family, he insists. Is it making trouble because someone tries to kill me and I called the police? asks Vicki, distressed. Nobody tried to kill ya, that's your imagination! he says. Stop telling me that! wails Vicki, her voice wild--that stone urn came crashing down off the roof--I know it wasn't my imagination! Things fall from old houses, he says, it can happen. That car that tried to run me down, that wasn't my imagination, she says. Probably that was an accident, too, the driver didn't see you, he says. He saw me, all right, he came right at me, says Vicki viciously. Maybe he didn't see ya until he almost hit ya, you can't see past your headlights on a country road at eight in the evening. (Oh, God--enlightenment!) What did you say? asks Vicki. I said it was probably an accident, he says--and what were you doing wandering around on a lonely stretch of road that time of night--you should know better. She looks at him. How did you know what time it happened? she asks him. (Now would have been a good time to shut up, Vicki!) You mentioned it, he says shakily. No, she says, I didn't--I said the car tried to run me down last night, I didn't say what time, just last night. Mz. Stoddard must have said something about it, mumble Matthew, realizing he screwed up. You told me that she hadn't spoken to you all day, accuses Vicki. I just overheard one thing she said, says Matthew, she was talking about an accident, she said it happened at eight o'clock--I didn't know what she was talkin' about! All right, I guess that explains it, says Vicki. You don't believe me, do ya? asks Matthew. Yes, says Vicki hastily, I believe you. Then why are you lookin' at me like that? he asks. I'm not looking at you in any particular way, she says, backing away from him. What you're thinkin' isn't true, says Matthew. I'm not thinking anything, Vicki assures him, still backing away. "YOU THINK I KILLED MR. MALLOY!" shouts Matthew. No! cries Vicki. "YOU'RE GONNA GO TO THE SHERIFF, YOU'RE GONNA TELL HIM THAT!" No I'm not! she says. You're right you're not, he says advancing on her, I'm not gonna let ya! She's right at the door when he grabs her, tries to pin her against the door. She gets away, but he snares her again.
Let me go! she screams, just let me go! I can't, he says, holding her tightly in his grasp, not now.

Collinwood - Frank paces the drawing room. I keep expecting the front door to open and Vicki to walk in, says Liz helplessly. What's keeping that sheriff? Wonders Frank, it's been over 20 minutes since I phoned. Liz answers a knock at the door, admitting Sheriff Patterson, who greets Liz and shakes hands with Frank. What's this about Miss winters? asks Patterson. She's disappeared, says Liz. She left the house an hour ago, adds Frank, she's not back. When she left the house, did she say where she was going? asks Patterson. She went down to the Old House to look for David, says Liz, we went down there, but there's no sign of her. What about David? asks Patterson. He's come back, says Liz, but he hasn't seen her. Would she have gone into town? asks Patterson. I hardly think so, says Liz, she had an engagement for dinner with Mr. Garner. If she were heading for town, says Patterson, I'd have seen her on my out here anyway. It's pitch black out there, frets Liz, she shouldn't be prowling around out there by herself. I'm worried about her, says Frank, especially after last night and all these other things that have been happening to her. My deputy is outside, if she's on the property, we'll find her, Patterson assures him. I'll go with you, offers Frank. No, you stay here with Mrs. Stoddard, instructs Patterson, we know this country pretty well, if she's around, we'll find her--don't worry, Mrs. Stoddard, it won't take too long.
Liz thanks him and he leaves. Frank looks extremely worried.

Vicki tries to act her heart out, convincing Matthew that she does believe that he didn't have anything to do with Bill Malloy's death. Then why are you afraid of me? he asks. I'm not afraid, she says. You're trembling like a leaf, says Matthew, a minute ago, you screamed. Because you grabbed me--it hurt, she says. I didn't mean to hurt you, he says. All right, she says gently, please let me go back to the house. I can't, he says, pacing, you'll phone the sheriff the minute you walk through the door. No, I promise you I wouldn't, she says. I don't trust you, he tells her, you've got too many wild ideas. I know you didn't kill Bill Malloy--why would you? asks Vicki desperately. That's right, he says. A person has to have a reason to kill another person, and you don't, she says. That's right, he agrees. So there you are! she says, you have nothing to worry about. Only your wild ideas! He says again. She shakes her head, assuring him she has no wild ideas--please let me go. I told you, I can't, he says. I feel sick, she says. What's the matter? he asks. I don't know, she says, may I have some water? The minute I go for water, he says, you'll run right out that door. Oh no, I promise you that I won't, she says, please, I do feel sick. I've got some whiskey over here, he says, a sip of that will have to do. She makes a feeble attempt to get through the door, but he grabs hold of her again and pushes her into a chair, accusing her of lying to him--You do think I killed Malloy! No I don't! screams Vicki. I HAD TO! blares Matthew--I didn't have any choice! What? asks Vicki in disbelief. I had to! says Matthew, I guess I've had it bottled up in me so long, it had to come out. He looks at his hands. What are you going to do? asks Vicki. I'm not sure, he says. They're going to miss me back at the house, she says hopefully, they're going to search for me all over--you'll have to let me go! No, he says, shaking his head, I don't, I don't have to let you go--I have to kill you.
Vicki gazes up at him pleadingly.

NOTES: So, Matthew murdered Malloy and was also responsible for the three attempts on Vicki's life. It makes sense--he has the keys to the entire house, so it makes sense that he was the one who tried to break into her bedroom. The question is, why did he kill Malloy? Poor Vicki surely didn't want to hear his confession, but she wouldn't keep quiet and forced it out of this undoubtedly guilt-ridden man. Now he has to kill her to protect his secret. Oh, Vicki, don't you wish you'd kept your mouth shut, just a little? She managed to enrage him, and that surely was a paltry escape effort on her part.

So now Liz and Frank and worried and the sheriff is going to search for Vicki--but will she be found before it's too late? David doesn't seem concerned, he figures his ghost pals got her and will give her a good home.

What is Matthew going to do to Vicki now?

This begins a group of exciting episodes. Wasn't this suspenseful? I sure thought so! I remember these as if they were yesterday; that's the kind of impression they made on me back then.

Love, Robin