Author Topic: DS hookers  (Read 4550 times)

Offline denise

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
DS hookers
« on: March 16, 2002, 09:32:41 PM »
What scene hooked you into being a Dark Shadows fan?
For me it was the one where Naomi is looking out the
window and sees Jeremiah staring back at her.  I thought this series has possibilites.

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: DS hookers
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2002, 09:54:50 PM »
For me it was when Willie released Barnabas from the coffin. There also were many other great scenes after the initial one that held your interest in the Series. I am one of the individuals that had the privilege of seeing the show during its original run.

SPOILER.......

Another mesmerising one is when Angelique places the Vampire curse on Barnabas.
As I mentioned before on another post, upon one meeting the actors/actresses at the Festival, it seems to solidify the interest.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2002, 10:37:03 PM »

LOL, when I first saw the topic title, I immediately thought of the Collinsport "dock ladies." :D :D  

I was part of the "original run" audience, but my viewing was hit and miss until the 1897 storyline.  However, when that began, I ran home every day to watch it.  

When the series re-aired on SciFi in the late 90's, I began watching from the early Barnabas episodes.  I enjoyed those and subsequent storylines, but my attention was utterly captivated from the moment Nicholas Blair knocked on the door of Collinwood. My attention held for most of the rest of the series, but I most enjoyed the storylines/episodes that featured Humbert.

Cheers,

Linda

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2002, 10:46:03 PM »
For me it was when Willie released Barnabas from the coffin. There also were many other great scenes after the initial one that held your interest in the Series. I am one of the individuals that had the privilege of seeing the show during its original run.

For me, it was Willie. I saw the show when it was first on, too, and kept watching just to see John Karlen. What a cutie! :D

SPOILER.......

Another mesmerising one is when Angelique places the Vampire curse on Barnabas. As I mentioned before on another post, upon one meeting the actors/actresses at the Festival, it seems to solidify the interest.

One of these days I will get to a DS Fest. Everyone seems to have a great time meeting the stars and those they've became acquainted with on the message boards

I just discovered that I can now do color! :) Hurray! :D

Carol
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2002, 01:23:17 AM »
For me it was the one where Naomi is looking out the
window and sees Jeremiah staring back at her.  I thought this series has possibilites.

Roger Collins talking about Indian pudding (I'm serious)

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2002, 01:47:29 AM »
I watched the very first episode in 1966, and I was captivated by the pretty, and yes, gutsy, Vicki and her hopes of finding out who her parents were. I thought Roger droll and evil, Liz regal and lonely, Carolyn silly and fun, Joe stalwart and sweet, and David homicidal and bright. There was something about every main character that struck a chord with me.

Of course, when Barnabas was released from his coffin, I was completely, irreovocably hooked. The man did something to me that I can't explain completely, even to this day, but I couldn't wait to come home and see him every day, and an episode that didn't feature him, I was usually disappointed.

Love, Robin

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2002, 03:01:14 AM »
I started to watch everyday after this story.  I don't know, do you use spoilers?  ???
The episode that hooked me for good was when Barnabas held the gun on Adam.  After that I thought it was very exciting.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Spoilers
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2002, 03:37:41 AM »
I don't know, do you use spoilers??!?

Eleanor_Rigby, thanks for reregistering, and I'm glad you got your registration squared away so quickly.  And again, welcome!  To answer your question about spoilers, there's no rule against them but it's much appreciated by our readers that are watching the series for the first time or have forgotten plots that writers indicate that spoilage is coming up (as you did in your message).  There's also a spoiler icon in the "Message icon" menu that's there for you to use, if you wish, when you're posting.  I like to do both to make sure the newbies see it.

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2002, 04:25:18 AM »
Thank you for the welcome and the help, Midnite.I found the spoiler warning icon, thanks.  I will be sure to use it.  I like the different things you can do with the messages.  ;D

I'm looking at the preview and I see the html language showing up.  How do you make it go away so that you have bold, italics, the change of color?   ?!?
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2002, 04:38:29 AM »
Denise, when I first saw this topic, I thought that it was a reference to Roger Davis's picture in today's montage.  (However did you come up with that idea, MB?)

It's hard for me to pick one scene. The whole supernatural concept of the show drew me to it, though I was initially unimpressed by the first episodes that I saw.  My interest really began to perk up when the show took a turn to 1795.  However, the scene that really made me appreciate just what a unique show DS is happens in 1897...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S  

...when Laura the phoenix tries to stake Barnabas and Angelique holds her back.  The ladies then begin a verbal catfight.  I watched this and thought to myself, 'Where else can you see a phoenix and a witch dueling over a vampire's coffin?'  Only on Dark Shadows...

ProfStokes

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2002, 04:52:42 AM »
However, the scene that really made me appreciate just what a unique show DS is happens in 1897...

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S  

...when Laura the phoenix tries to stake Barnabas and Angelique holds her back.  The ladies then begin a verbal catfight.  I watched this and thought to myself, 'Where else can you see a phoenix and a witch dueling over a vampire's coffin?'  Only on Dark Shadows...

ProfStokes

I agree, this was another great scene. At last year's Festival, I ask Ms. Millay why her character and Ms. Parker's did not have more confrontational scenes together in the show. As I recall, she didn't have an answer.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2002, 05:21:42 AM »
VAM wrote: "For me it was when Willie released Barnabas from the coffin."

So it was for me....but probably for different reasons.  I hated the original character of Willie (not to be confused with the original actor who played Willie).

I actually remember commenting to my best friend, with whom I watched every afternoon,  "Why doesn't someone please toss that jerk Willie Loomis off Widow's Hill?"

But after Barnabas turned him into a sick, terrified, lost soul, I actually felt guilty, as though I had wished this weird plot device on the poor actor who played him.  

After that I was hooked on John Karlen.  I guess he's truly my "guilty" pleasure  LOL
Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2002, 05:51:46 AM »
For me it was when I found out it was a show with a vampire around 1966 can't remember the 1st show I watched. it was before 1795 Well it was over 30 years ago and I'm starting to need Ginko!

jennifer
I too thought it was about those dock girls Linda when i show the title!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline marcos1

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Marcos's Family History Page
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2002, 06:07:17 AM »
I first started watching the show in 1969. I first noticed  Quentin Collins and the intense look in his eyes. This was during the werewolf segment of the show, and he was standing in the center of a pentagram drawn on the floor, trying not to change. All of this seemed very intriguing

But later when Angelique appeared, a beautiful blond witch, I was really hooked for life.

Mark 8)

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2002, 06:32:48 AM »
This may seem unusual but it was the episode right before David flew the coop to go to that "little house by the sea" and get toasted by Laura Collins.  I kept asking myself why the heck this girl (Vicki) was asking this kid (David) about his mother and lots of fire.  Not to mention it was a kinescope episode on at 11:30 pm on the sci-fi channel.  At the time I had no idea what I was watching so you can imagine how bewildereed I was.  Great stuff.
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...