Author Topic: DS related, no really...just give me a second  (Read 1414 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
DS related, no really...just give me a second
« on: March 07, 2002, 06:54:28 PM »
The short story I am about to tell is disgusting but on one level represents the kind of irony that is so exquisitely amazing that it almost needs to be stated.  Also, I'm kind of curious as to whether or not anyone on the board has heard it.  About a week ago a local story broke here in Indianapolis - a town I am fond of because I was born here and have lived here most of my life.  Yet there are times - like the day I first heard this story - that I wonder why I still want to stick around   :-[ (even though logic tells me nuts abound regardless of what burg you call home   ::) ).  It involved one of our suburban areas known as Avon.  It seems that the head wrestling coach at the high school (last name Bright - the first irony) decided to expand his already moronic reputation and show his athletes just what he was made of by taking the dare to bite the head off a bird (never mind that the high school mascot is an oriole).  I say moronic reputation because he is also known far and wide as an abusive teacher with a very short fuse who has made fun of students from his own unfortunate list of kids who don't measure up (or down) to his standards to the mentally handicapped kids in special education (seriously, this guy is a world class jerk as well as a nut job). The incident made the school corporation and the entire area look completely stupid, garnered hate mail from around the globe, and worst of all reinforced the idea that life was cheap and disposable to the young minds that witnessed this hideous display.  The major irony for me when I thought about it later was that 30+ years ago some people were actually up in arms over a 30-minute gothic soap (which everyone knew as fictional) and this mutant (alleged) educator of young minds   ::) only got a two-week suspension! I think the last words of the wicked witch in the Wizard of Oz as she melts into oblivion say it best ¢â‚¬¦"What a world, what a world!" :(
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: DS related, no really...just give me a second
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2002, 08:52:05 PM »
Yes, CastleBee, the world is full of stupid, ignorant, cruel and wretched people.  And no, it doesn't surprise me that people would be indifferent to this situation, while getting upset over a Gothic Soap.   This is the 21st Century and still people are trying to take "Harry Potter" out of school libraries!!

What puzzles me is the lack of lawyers jumping all over this like crazy....?

Where I live, the injured parties would number in the hundreds, and the attorneys would  be lining up for the priviledge of suing the coach, the school district, the town, and anyone else they could think of!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2002, 09:04:46 PM »
There has been rumor of impending legal action (I think by animal rights groups) and many parents want him gone for good.  The weenie school board slap on the wrist is what bugs me.  Another thing that really annoyed me is that this happened back in December but was not addressed by the school board until AFTER the high school wrestling championships - coinkeedink - don't THINK so!  >:(
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline mfmdpt

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2002, 09:44:42 PM »
Another thing that really annoyed me is that this happened back in December but was not addressed by the school board until AFTER the high school wrestling championships - coinkeedink - don't THINK so!  >:(

And the really sad thing, CastleBee, is that attitude isn't unique in this country. :( You really have to wonder about the twisted value system some people seem to have, a system where prestige, money and doing well in a championship is more important than the welfare of the students they're supposedly looking out for.
"I give in to sin because you have to make this life livable." - Depeche Mode (Strangelove)

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2002, 11:18:58 PM »
I came across this story and had wondered if it was true or just some type of urban legend thing.  Sadly, your post cofirms it actually happened.  I came across yet another story about a teacher somewhere that wanted to take puppies from the pound and feed them to a snake (boa I think) in the classroom!  What this was supposed to "teach" I have no idea.  

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2002, 12:50:44 AM »
The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but
shorter tempers, wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more,
but have less. We buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and
smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees
but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more
problems, more medicine, but less wellness.
We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little,  
drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too
little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.  We legally sell deadly processed tobacco and alcohol, and possession of a harmless natural herb is a felony.  We have multiplied our
possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom,
and hate too often. We've learned how to make a living, but not a life.
We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the
moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new
neighbor.
We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things,
but not better things. We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul.
We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice.

We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've
learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more
information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.
These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small
character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of
two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes.

These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one
night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer,
to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window
and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter
to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to
just hit delete.
Remember, spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going
to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because
that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the
only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, "I love you" to your spouse and your loved ones, but most
of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from
deep inside of you. Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for
someday that person will not be there again. Give time to love, give time
to speak and give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

[George Carlin]

We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2002, 03:55:39 AM »
Thank you, Ringo, for the George Carlin quote.  Just so you know, I'm standing up and applauding.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2002, 04:47:11 AM »
Another recent school story in the news that says something about today's values -- a teacher in Kansas (I think that was the state) failed a number of students for plagiarizing (sp).  Acting on parental complaints, the school board ordered the teacher to give the students passing grades, even though they acknowledged the students had cheated.  The teacher quit her job.  I don't blame her.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2002, 07:57:25 AM »
Hey Vlad!

Color me embarassed.....It was Kansas City, but I can't remember if it was the KS or MO side that this happened on.  I think that the city government is looking into what the school board decided and will make another conclusion or decision on this case.

The real losers in all this are the kids. Their parents are teaching them some real damaging lessons.  I hope these kids don't grow up to be like those former Enron execs.  It's a scary world out there fer sure.

And Castlebee.....he bit off the bird's head in front of the kids....and their parents didn't get him fired?  And here the parents of the kids who were flunked got them reinstated in the class?  This all totally stymies the imagination.

Not really getting to a point here....just ranting on the insanity of today's world!

[shadow=orange,left,300]Always, Minja[/shadow]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2002, 09:16:37 AM »
Dear CastleBee,

Go placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence.  As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.  Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.  If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.  Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.  Keep interested in your career, however, humble; it  is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.  Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.  But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.  Especially, do not feign affection.  Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perinnial as the grass.  Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.  Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.  But do not distress yourself with imaginings.  Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome descipline, be gentle with yourself.  You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.  And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.  With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.  Be careful.  Strive to be happy.

Found in old Saint Paul's Church, Dated 1602

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2002, 06:56:09 PM »
CastleBee
it never fails to amaze me what so called adults
are capable of when it comes to the education and care
of our children. That man should have been fired but
it seems to be that the sports departments are giving more leeway when it comes to weird and vile behavior
we have had a couple of incidents in my town  and a couple of hazing incidents and some people
felt that because the children weren't hurt it didn't matter but what about the emotional toil. I was told
by one parent that a stupid hazing incident was teaching football players to be men(after the coach didn't do anything about it)since then he has been replaced and there is zero tolerance for hazing.some of these adults are too much but that was a really cruel
story and what is it teaching those kids.
some of the things parents rant about are so stupid
like Harry Potter and yes in my day a show called DS.
sometimes you have to wonder....
thanks for sharing
jennifer
love the above quotes esp George Carlin

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2002, 08:44:11 PM »
Perhaps more appropo....

Deteriorata

Go placidly
Amid the noise and waste.
And remember what comfort there may be
In owning a piece thereof.

Avoid quiet and passive persons
Unless you are in need of sleep.

Rotate your tires.

Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself
And heed well their advice,
Even though they be turkeys.

Know what to kiss.....and when!

Consider that two wrongs never make a right
But that THREE.........do.

Wherever possible, put people on hold.

You are a fluke
Of the universe.
You have no right to be here.
And whether you can hear it or not
The universe is laughing behind your back.

Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle and mutilate.

Exercise caution in your daily affairs,
Especially with those persons closest to you.
That lemon on your left, for instance.

Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls
Would scarcely get your feet wet.

Fall not in love therefore;
It will stick to your face.

Gracefully surrender the things of youth:
The birds, clean air, tuna.
And let not the sands of time
Get in your lunch.

For a good time call 606-4311;
Ask for "Ken."

Take heart amid the deepening gloom
That your dog is finally getting enough cheese.

And reflect that whatever misfortune may be your lot
It could only be worse in Milwaukee.

Therefore, make peace with your god
Whatever you conceive him to be---
Hairy thunderer, or cosmic muffin.

With all its hopes, dreams, promises and urban renewal
The world continues to deteriorate.

Give up.

You are a fluke
Of the universe.
You have no right to be here.
And whether you can hear it or not
The universe is laughing behind your back.

--Not found in any church whatsoever

[shadow=purple,left,300]Mark[/shadow]

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2002, 10:05:58 PM »
Marcus,

While there are some of us here who share your warped sense of humor and find some of your mangling of Desiderata quite humorous......

I'm sure everyone else finds comfort in the fact that you don't write for Hallmark Greeting Cards!

[beer]   Still wuv ya buddy!

[shadow=teal,left,300]Always, Minja[/shadow]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2002, 10:24:54 PM »
"Deteriorata" was originally performed by National Lampoon in 1972 on "National Lampoon Radio Dinner"; lyrics by Tony Hendra. I used to have a recording of it somewhere, though I know not where it has gone.

Desiderata is often credited as "Found in Old Saint Paul's Church, Baltimore: Dated 1692." However, according to numerous sources, it was actually written in 1927 by an obscure Indiana lawyer and poet named Max Ehrmann. At the time, it failed to attract much attention; three years after his death, his widow had it and some of his other works published as "The Poems of Max Ehrmann."

In late 1971, Desiderata was recorded by Les Crane and became a pop hit for a few weeks. It stands out in my mind primarily because, as a kid, I called up the local radio station and asked them to play "You Are a Child of the Universe," and they told me "That's called 'Desiderata.' You think you can remember that?"

I did. ;)

Anyway, I would never write for Hallmark. They do, like, happy stuff.

Mark