Author Topic: Is Days Of Our Lives Trying To Torture Us?!  (Read 3122 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Is Days Of Our Lives Trying To Torture Us?!
« on: September 06, 2005, 06:42:48 PM »
I'm not a DOOL fan, but just now Fate apparently intervened on my behalf because, as I turned on my TV, it was tuned to NBC, and what should I have seen: one character telling another character that there's a DS marathon on the Sci-Fi Channel and they should pop some popcorn. And while it's always fun to catch a DS reference on a TV show, did they have to say that? I mean, not only isn't DS on Sci-Fi anymore, Sci-Fi never once had a DS marathon, so that was a double twist of the knife.  :(

Still, it was a hoot to hear DS being mentioned - and by 20-somethings no less - not by 40- or 50-somethings like most of ourselves.  :D

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Is Days Of Our Lives Trying To Torture Us?!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 06:51:16 PM »
Wow.  That almost sounds like an in-joke from one of the writers who may lurk here or on another forum. We discussed this topic several times over the years...

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 06:59:42 PM »
They just mentioned it a second time, though in a somewhat roundabout way. The character who was told about the marathon left his (their?) apartment telling the one who mentioned DS that she should "enjoy" her "vampire show."  ;)

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 07:21:54 PM »
Well I always thought that James E Reilly who writes for Days and who is the creater and head writer of Passions was a Dan Curtis wannabe. Well obviously this proves it. We have the witch Tabitha on Passions. I'm still waiting for the vampire and werewolf story to show.

FireRose

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 07:39:46 PM »
Well I always thought that James E Reilly who writes for Days and who is the creater and head writer of Passions was a Dan Curtis wannabe. Well obviously this proves it. We have the witch Tabitha on Passions. I'm still waiting for the vampire and werewolf story to show.

He also made the good Doctor Marlena Evans get possessed by the devil back in the early 90s. I think that was the start of his...supernatural writing on DOOL. Now I feel sad. Since I can't watch DS as I'm a poor college student and can't buy the DVDs, I settle for Passions once a day. *double sad face*

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 02:47:58 AM »
Well I always thought that James E Reilly who writes for Days and who is the creater and head writer of Passions was a Dan Curtis wannabe. Well obviously this proves it. We have the witch Tabitha on Passions. I'm still waiting for the vampire and werewolf story to show.FireRose

I thought they did a vampire story arch a few years back with a character named Calib or something like that. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

LdyAnne

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 03:01:47 AM »

Always cool to hear a DS reference, albeit a bittersweet one.  It's weird that Sci-Fi never did a DS marathon.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 03:43:13 AM »
I thought they did a vampire story arch a few years back with a character named Calib or something like that. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

You may be thinking of when Kay sold her soul to the witch Hecuba, and Hecuba turned Charity's closet into a portal to hell...then Kay, Charity, and Miguel got sucked into hell. I mean...they eventually got out, but the Standish house was sucked into the ground. Demons were escaping at the same time...that pack was lead by one...Damien, I believe. That MAY be what you were thinking of, though I'm not sure. There never was a vampire in Harmony to my knowledge, and I've watched for the past five or so years.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 04:14:45 AM »

LdyAnne, I think you may be confusing "Passions" with "Port Charles".  That soap had vampires for a while and angels and some other stuff.  Unlike DS, however, the spookiness stuff wasn't enough to keep that soap afloat.

ProfStokes

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 04:21:10 AM »
LdyAnne, I think you may be confusing "Passions" with "Port Charles".  That soap had vampires for a while and angels and some other stuff.  Unlike DS, however, the spookiness stuff wasn't enough to keep that soap afloat.

Oh yes you are quite right I knew there was a modern day vampire on some soap but forgot all about Port Charles.
Thanks for helping an old girl out

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 06:24:26 AM »

Come to think of it, I did catch an episode of Port Charles on SoapNet awhile back. I think that vampire (with the longer dark hair) is now on my friend's favorite soap....Guiding Light. Looks like no more long fangs for him. XD

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 07:27:31 AM »
Come to think of it, I did catch an episode of Port Charles on SoapNet awhile back. I think that vampire (with the longer dark hair) is now on my friend's favorite soap....Guiding Light. Looks like no more long fangs for him.

Isn't he playing a cop on One Life to Live?

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 07:55:02 AM »
I have actually heard DS music cues on Passions.  JER knows DS quite well I'm sure.  I don't think DOOL was attempting to be factual with the Sci-Fi reference.  As with most soaps, one must suspend belief.  It's a requirement of soap watching.  The characters in question were Sean and Mimi.

Offline Penthea

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 09:57:39 AM »

You are thinking of the Soap Port Charles

Penthea

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2005, 04:52:48 PM »
Isn't he playing a cop on One Life to Live?

Well, I DID see that episode about 10 months ago, so there is that miniscule chance I'm wrong. ;)

Wow, did I say miniscule? I meant to say "ginormous." The one I saw must have looked a lot like him. Oh yeah, I just checked TV.com. You're right. XD His character was Caleb Morley, as I think another cousin already mentioned.