Author Topic: Andre's Departure  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Andre's Departure
« on: March 30, 2002, 06:42:38 PM »
Does anyone know why David Ford left so suddenly at this point that Andre was sent, off camera, to New York for good?  I know he will return in the present time as Sam Evans again.

When I first watched these episodes in the mid 80's, I thought that David Ford had left DS for good (like Anthony George did) and had to be abruptly written out.

Joey

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Andre's Departure
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2002, 07:07:38 PM »
Not sure why, Joey, but one common thing for many of the DS performers was that they often did other things while on the series, whether it was a play, some more TV work, a film, whatever, so they (or should I say their character) would suddenly be gone somewhere.  Undoubtedly, that's what happened to David Ford.  Probably doing a commercial for Tide of Marlboro or something.  Joan Bennett was the one who was always busy with other projects, hence her frequent and long absences.  They were always sticking her in a hospital or institution (like during the Laura and the 1897 storylines), or elsewhere, but don't wanna say that as it would be too much of a spoiler.  My favorite was the Parallel Time plot when so many of the performers had to take a leave to do House of Dark Shadows.  Seemed that they all had relatives to visit, even the Danverish Hoffman.  Wasn't she spending time with her sister?  I just can't imagine that.  

"Well, sis, whatchya been up to back at that clunky old mansion?"  

"Oh, the usual, cleaning, planning menus, bringing my evil mistress back from the dead."  

"Nothing new or interesting then?"  

"Nope."

"Well, let's play some cribbage.  Say, did you hear about Cousin Mathilda?  Seems she..."

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2002, 06:36:23 PM »
Gerard, this is priceless!  It sounds like Whatever happened to Baby Jane!  I'd like to see Hoffman's kid sister.  Think she wore a long blonde Goldilocks wig and spent her spare time caterwauling the lyrics to "I've written a lett-tah to Dad-deh, his add-dress is HEAVEN above ..."????

Steve

Offline shadows1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2002, 07:01:33 PM »
I believe I have read that Nancy Barrett and David Ford were married at one time.  Can anyone tell me in terms of the DS storyline when this occurred?
Rachel

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2002, 08:56:29 PM »
Gerard, this is priceless!  It sounds like Whatever happened to Baby Jane!  I'd like to see Hoffman's kid sister.  Think she wore a long blonde Goldilocks wig and spent her spare time caterwauling the lyrics to "I've written a lett-tah to Dad-deh, his add-dress is HEAVEN above ..."????

Steve

And then, Steve, Hoffman's kid sister starts teasing her about being a rotten head housekeeper, Hoffman protesting, to which her sister adds:  "Butchya aaah, Julia!  Ya aaah!"

Gerard

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2002, 06:05:54 AM »
David Ford and Greyson Hall were married at one time (real time) during the DS run but ......the charactors he played along with Nancy Barrett I'm not sure.

That would be interesting to know.  I also would like to know if anyone know when they will be going into the next phase of the storey line.............this will be a spoiler I know ..........
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Nancy

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2002, 06:30:09 AM »
David Ford and Greyson Hall were married at one time (real time) during the DS run but ......the charactors he played along with Nancy Barrett I'm not sure.

That would be interesting to know.  I also would like to know if anyone know when they will be going into the next phase of the storey line.............this will be a spoiler I know ..........

Grayson Hall was married to DS writer Sam Hall and David Ford was married to Nancy Barrett.  All this is in some of the DS books KLS has published.  The Halls remained married until Grayson's death, but Ford and Barrett divorced at some point.

Nancy

Nancy

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2002, 06:32:59 AM »
Does anyone know why David Ford left so suddenly at this point that Andre was sent, off camera, to New York for good?  I know he will return in the present time as Sam Evans again.

When I first watched these episodes in the mid 80's, I thought that David Ford had left DS for good (like Anthony George did) and had to be abruptly written out.

Joey

I have been told by people who know these things that Anthony George was only under a six month contract so his ddeparture wasn't abrupt.  

Nancy