Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0281  (Read 2414 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0281
« on: April 23, 2007, 06:35:39 PM »

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0281
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 07:44:59 PM »
Very good show. AM does a good job. I think Barnabas knew when the seance started what was going to happen. I also think that he knew that the little girl at the top of the stairs was Sarah. He especially knew it when the dress was changed and put out on the bed. [spoiler]later in the next few shows Willie will find the ball[/spoiler] You see a different Barnabas in his old clothes, didn't anyone wonder where he got them, when it was the same clothes that are in the picture! Didn't he take his clothes to England? Did Barnabas bring back old clothes with him? JF did a great job in showing more of a human Barnabas, maybe it was the clothes.

His MO hasn't changed really now he just didn't kidnap someone, but she does live on the estate. He didn't really let Josette go, he is still looking for her.

This show had a litte bit of magic, even with some of the mistakes, casual acting.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 10:25:16 PM »
Boy Barnabas really must have been in a panic when he heard Josette speaking through Vicki. He knew he had to interrupt it for she was only one breath away from screaming his name.

Barnabas is still looking for his Josette, and in a sense he will go on doing so at one time or another throughout the show. He would have been so much better off if he just accept the fact that she is gone, and no one will be able to live up to her standards, no matter how much brainwashing and manipulation he tries to apply on them. He should have learned this lesson after his failure with Maggie.

I wish Carolyn hadn't been pesturing Vicki so much about Burke after her experience at the seance. It's great that Carolyn no longer has a thing for him, but at the moment, that's the last thing that's in Vicki's mind.

Cool episode.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 02:13:27 AM »
It's neat to see Josette telling, through Vicky, the tale of her suicide, because the details don't match what in fact happened in the 1795 storyline.  On the other hand, if I remember correctly, the spirit speaking through Vicky in today's episode never did say her name, so that it is theoretically possible that it was somebody entirely different.  Heaven knows enough women have thrown themselves off of Widows Hill so there would be a wide selection of alternatives.  Maybe it was Beth talking, not Josette. Or maybe the spirit was talking about another location altogether.  I don't think the name Widows Hill was actually mentioned.

Or else maybe MagnusTrask is right, and Vicky's trip to the past got messed up, and the 1795 storyline that we later see is not the one that Barnabas currently remembers.  If that's the case, then something would have to have happened to Barnabas's memory during the later seance.

This is one of the many things I like about Dark Shadows: it's not perfectly thought out.  There are no writers manipulating me. I can make of it what I want.

On another note...the Collinwood residents go to a party at the Old House and are served nothing but claret cup. When they get home, do they head for the kitchen, figuring that at this point even Mrs. Johnson's nine-days-old New England Boiled Dinner will taste good?  No, they make a bee-line for the liquor cabinet because they just didn't get enough at the Old House.

CT!_CTP/FITBs

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 02:39:24 PM »
Be sure to check out these (hopefully  ;)) humorous topics related to this episode:

From "Caption This!":
(none yet)
From "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s)":

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 04:22:37 PM »
No, they make a bee-line for the liquor cabinet because they just didn't get enough at the Old House.

Well, apparently the major source of liquids for the Collinses is liquor. And since it's recommended to drink at least 96 ounces of liquid a day, they need to drink as much liquor as they can while still remaining standing.  ;D

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 06:50:19 PM »
Luckily, they also have chairs and sofas.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 07:25:45 PM »
VERY luckily!  [lghy]

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 12:07:02 AM »
Barnabas' origin prior to 1795 took place over a few years instead of a few months.  Sarah died when he was a boy, Josette & Jeremiah were married for years (& had children).

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 10:38:42 AM »
Those scenes of Josette (we assume) speaking through Vicki at the seance were chilling and exciting.  I loved watching Barnabas' reaction.  He was so nervous that he would be discovered! [shkdg]

...maybe MagnusTrask is right, and Vicky's trip to the past got messed up, and the 1795 storyline that we later see is not the one that Barnabas currently remembers.

I agree... I think the original 1795 storyline unfolded differently, and Vicki going into the past changed the events that happened.  Barnabas was very angry at Jeremiah and hated him with a vengeance.  But the 1795 we saw wasn't like that... I doubt that Barnabas knew Angelique was a witch in the original storyline. [winkg]

On another note...the Collinwood residents go to a party at the Old House and are served nothing but claret cup.
Actually, I believe the party started very late - at 11:00 PM, so it is logical that drinks would only be served - presumably, they all would have already eaten dinner hours earlier. [cheesyg]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
ER---  Immensely satisfying when humans accept my crazy theorizing!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 04:54:58 PM »
Vicki going into the past changed the events that happened.  Barnabas was very angry at Jeremiah and hated him with a vengeance.  But the 1795 we saw wasn't like that

Actually, there are many discrepancies that can't be explained away by simply saying Vicki's trip to the past changed things (i.e. Jeremiah's age - in Barn's version of things here, Jeremiah is much older than Barn - but in 1795, they are "the same age."  :- )

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 02:45:34 AM »
MB, I think you're taking quite a conservative view of what could have been changed by Vicky's trip to the past.  I think that before the trip to the past, Jeremiah was indeed much older than Barnabas.  I also think that originally Angelique had nothing to do with Barnabas becoming a vampire.  What's more, I know why Sarah pegged Angelique as the culprit...but that would be telling.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 03:25:04 AM »
But do we really find out how old Barnabas was when he was cursed. I know they tried to make him look younger with the hair.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 03:46:46 AM »
MB, I think you're taking quite a conservative view

I may be many things, but conservative is definitely not one of them.  ;)  As anyone who knows me well is bound to tell you, I don't have a conservative thought in my head - or lurking anywhere in my entire body for that matter.  ;D