Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0740  (Read 1207 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0740
« on: July 05, 2014, 01:00:05 PM »
Robservations #740

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0740

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 10:50:53 PM »
Magda warns Barnabas that he is tempting his luck by continuing to draw Charity to him, but of course Barnabas won't listen. He knows Charity won't tell on him since she's in his thrall, but what's to prevent someone from following her the next time she feels the need to go to him?

Edward wants Barnabas to talk Judith out of allowing Trask to use one of the buildings on the estate as a school for fear Laura will get to the children. Now that Barnabas has met Laura and convinced she's the same one he met as a boy, he's willing to do so even if he knows that the children have got to be miserable under Trask's care. But on the other hand that's nothing compared to what will happen to them if their mother gets a hold of them.....

Can't find much else to say about this episode it was kind of blah to me. Though I did enjoy watching Edward and Laura quarrel. It's obvious Edward doesn't want anything more to do with Laura but he is still bothered by the fact that she preferred to run off with Quentin rather than be a wife to him and a mother to their children. I kind of see Edward's point there.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 10:56:35 PM »
Hmmm, I thought one left and the other followed. Were Q & Laura having an affair before leaving for Egypt?

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 11:02:16 PM »
You're right, dom. I'd forgotten that first Quentin had left Collinwood, THEN Laura left soon after to join him.

I don't remember whether it was said they were fooling around before they got to Egypt, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was indeed the case.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 11:09:06 PM »
I imagine whoever had been playing Burke Devlin at this time would have taken the role of Quentin, seeing how it would have been apropos to have the Roger/Burke/Laura triangle repeated as an 1897 Edward/Quentin/Laura triangle.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 12:09:14 AM »
That's a great thought, dom! That would have been sooooo interesting!

Magda thinks that Barn WANTED Trask to know that he had bitten Charity. He protests that he's just unwilling to give up what life he has. Sandor is properly horrified at the idea of digging up Laura Stockbridge Collins, died 1785.

Magda tidies up the cottage so Laura can move in. Her first real find is a deck of tarot cards--then she finds Angelique's little knitted doll (the one she used to choke Rachel Drummond). Laura notes with surprise there are no pins in it. He must be saving it for someone special, Laura comments sarcastically. You, perhaps, madam, Magda suggests with sly irony. Unoffended, Laura says, No, this isn't for me. He's done everything to me he possibly can--and soon I will return the favor. She has Magda read the cards, even though she doesn't believe in them. "La Mort"--Death--keeps turning up. Even though it signifies change rather than death, Laura is upset.

Edward confides in Barn that he doesn't want the school on Collins property. Barn points out that it will keep the kids close by. But Edward says it's really about Laura and asks, How well do you know Laura? I can't honestly answer, Barnabas says (and that’s no lie). You've met my wife--no doubt you found her charming, Edward says stoically. I’m far too old to trust first impressions completely, Barnabas replies dryly. Edward tells the whole story, apparently relieved to have revealed it at last. Barnabas promises to speak to Judith.

Barn takes Laura's portrait to the cottage. Laura is uncomfortably surprised on seeing it, but agrees it's incredible. Come look at it, she urges Magda. I might have sat for it myself! Yes, Barnabas agrees dryly. You must have had a near relative living here one hundred years ago. Either that or many women look like me, suggests Laura. Untrue, although many regret it, Barnabas replies suavely. Pretending to be flattered, she thanks him for the compliment. The more I looks at it, the less I think it resembles me, she says to Magda. Is my chin really that pointy? After Barn leaves, she orders Magda to put it away.

Barn's next stop on this busy night is the mausoleum. He orders Sandor to open Laura's tomb. Sandor complies, but itsn't happy about it. Somehow Laura knows that Sandor is using a hammer and chisel. She runs from the cottage.

Meanwhile, Barnabas opens the coffin, since Sandor refuses. What's inside?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 05:15:59 PM »
Welcome back, Laura's crypt.  The entrance does look just the same as before, in early 1967.  Under a "meeting house"?  That's not where it was.  Of course, what's most different is that they've altered Laura's history drastically.  Instead of her marrying into a different family each generation, with Roger her first Collins, "now" Laura marries a Collins every generation, inflicting incest on the family without their knowing it.  Why always a Collins, apart from the fact that they can use the character again this way?  There are plenty of fish in the sea, after all...

So who were the Stockbridges in this version of Laura's life I wonder?  In 1967, there was a Laura Murdoch Stockbridge in that cemetary I think.  In 1897 there's now a Laura Stockbridge Collins, even though her maiden name is still said to be Murdoch?  LSC might have been Jeremiah's wife.  Did we hear the living 1897 Laura's full name?  Confusing.

Barnabas and Sandor open her coffin.  It was a group effort: Barnabas orders Sandor to, Sandor just stands there, so Barnabas does it himself.  Josette's ghost doesn't do it this time... I'd have loved for the caretaker from the first Laura storyline to walk in, only he's a toddler, shaking his fist and telling them not to desecrate the dead...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 07:24:11 PM »
Yes, MT, the caretaker would be just a tot, but he would look and sound exactly the same, waving his chubby baby fist at Barn and Sandor!  [ghost_cheesy]

It's too bad we never do get to learn just what about the Collinses is so attractive to the utterly amoral Laura Murdoch and/or Stockbridge. That would have been an interesting detour. But one of the great charms of the Collins universe--at least for me--is that it is never fully explored.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 10:19:11 PM »
It never occurred to me to ask that before now.... strange in itself...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor