Author Topic: Why were some of the main characters always so clueless?  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Why were some of the main characters always so clueless?
« on: January 13, 2006, 06:02:22 AM »
I've often wondered how Joan Bennett, Louis Edmonds, Nancy Barrett, Kathryn Leigh Scott etc. felt about their characters always being so clueless once Barnabas and Julia took center stage in the drama.  For most of the time after Barnabas' arrival, the original "stars" of the show suddenly became very "in the shadows" in terms of understanding the "big picture" or what was happening at Collinwood at any given time.  Occasionally, they would be let in on the big dark secret - such as when the ghost of Quentin finally made his presence known - but, for the most part, they never seemed to have a clue about all the strange supernatural forces at work beneath the surface.  Only Barnabas and Julia ever seemed to be FULLY aware of what was going on at all times.

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Why were some of the main characters always so clueless?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 06:30:37 AM »
I suppose if the mainstays like Elizabeth, Roger, Carolyn, Maggie, etc. were all privy to and accepting of Barnabas' vampire curse, as well as the other sundry scandals at Collinwood, the tension and suspense would have been compromised to a large degree. Secrets are a major element of a captivating serial. I was always rooting for Barnabas and Julia to save the day, cover their tracks, and keep the Collins gang in the dark (shadows) - kind of a "what they don't know won't spook them" protective bond - they were the dynamic duo, the childless couple who'd adopted this family, and spent more time protecting them from sordid truths than pursuing their own wants.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 07:13:45 AM »
good topic.

it's interesting to note that many of the main characters besides julia and willie actually did "know" barnabas' secret...and then convieniently "forgot" it when the plot dictated.

maggie knew.vicki knew.carolyn knew.david was highly suspisious and certainly on his way to knowing.but the plot dictated that all these characters "forget" it or at least have their attention otherwise focused.

it worked out this way for most of the supernatural plots.as soon as it was over everyone acted like it had never happened and in many cases never spoke of it or appeared to have any recollection of it whatsoever. ::)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 07:34:54 AM »
For quite some time I've meant to post a link to this review:

http://www.imagesjournal.com/2002/reviews/darkshadows/

It's one of the best DS reviews I've read, and the first paragraph eloquently expresses this issue -
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 07:37:51 AM »
The review of Collection 2 is pretty good too:

http://www.imagesjournal.com/2002/reviews/darkshadows2/
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 09:20:37 AM »
it worked out this way for most of the supernatural plots.as soon as it was over everyone acted like it had never happened and in many cases never spoke of it or appeared to have any recollection of it whatsoever. ::)

I was always puzzled about that!  ::)
it's interesting to note that many of the main characters besides julia and willie actually did "know" barnabas' secret...and then convieniently "forgot" it when the plot dictated.

maggie knew.vicki knew.carolyn knew.david was highly suspisious and certainly on his way to knowing.but the plot dictated that all these characters "forget" it or at least have their attention otherwise focused.

I interpreted this differently.  Maggie, Vicki, and Carolyn were all under Barnabas' power at one time or another, and I just felt that he had a lingering, residual effect on them - I think this was hinted at though never explicitly stated.  They may not have consciously remembered their victimization.

I didn't think David was ever that close to the truth, but the most interesting case was Prof. Stokes.  Surely he suspected something !
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 12:27:57 PM »
Cool link. And speaking of MPI, does anybody here know where I can get my hands on the pre-Banabas episodes(VHS)? Anybody got any for sale? MPI is out of stock on these.

Janet

For quite some time I've meant to post a link to this review:

http://www.imagesjournal.com/2002/reviews/darkshadows/
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline jeffreywj777

• Junior Poster
  • A Story of Blood Relations.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 02:32:27 PM »
It is expected that MPI is going to release the DS Collector's edition on DVD once the end of the regular season DVD's is complete. This would be the 210 pre-Barnabus episodes.

By my calculations, they should be close to completing the series release by DVD 25 that should be released at the end of July. As of yet I have not heard for sure that MPI is planning to release the pre-Barnabus episodes. Perhpas someone on the board has some inside information. Because they no longer have any stock of the VHS copies may be a good sign of an eventual release on DVD.

I would suggest waiting to see what happens. Trying to purchase the 50-something Collector's tapes would be time consuming if they have to be tracked down individually.
Jeffrey

Offline DSFan008

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 11:50:48 PM »
I feel they made everyone clueless because it allowed them to push the character of Barnabas into the spotlight. If anyone else (or everyone else) knew about everything supernatural it would probably drive them insane or just make the show too hokey.

I mean if the story required a character to know things then the writers allowe it. but makingf them clueless allowed for the "star" to step in and lead.

pushing all other characters aside and making himself the show.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 12:15:21 AM »
I'm afraid the real answer to this question is sloppy writing.  The only character allowed to call Barn and Jules on their constant use of "I'll explain later" was Prof. Stokes.  His lines were so distinctive at times, I've often wondered whether Thayer rewrote some of his own dialogue.

I'm quite sure that after awhile, Stokes DID know about Barnabas.  After all, even before his venture into the world of The Dream, he already had a very sharp suspicion that it was Cassandra who was the Witch.  Witchcraft is a lot easier to hide than Vampirism, ergo I presume the Professor must have figured it all out.

I'm surprised to hear that MPI is out of stock on the Collectors Series tapes. I just ordered three of them two months ago and received them without any problem.

Best, G.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 12:22:22 AM »
I agree that Stokes probably figured it out.

David actually knew.  He just never used the word vampire specifically, but the kid was having dreams of a fanged Barnabas and saying that "cousin Barnabas is dead" IIRC.  Sarah kinda spilled the beans on her big bro.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 12:59:04 AM »
I think it would have been interesting if they had a storyline where Stokes proclaimed that he actually knew what Barnabas was. What would he do? Allow Barnabas to continue to exist as a vampire knowing the potential harm he would cause to innocents, or would he help out Julia in attempting to find a cure?

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 01:54:29 AM »
It's one of the best DS reviews I've read, and the first paragraph eloquently expresses this issue

I've read this review before and thought it was a very intelligent discussion. I don't neccessarily agree that Frid's performance was all that bad in the beginning. I think some of his earliests performances were brilliant - such as his intro to Collinwood, with his 50's hat, when Clarice Blackburn stares at him in shock as the cousin from England. His soliloquy to Vickie in the old house, and his mesmerizing story to Vickie and Carolyn re the death of Josette with the thunder booming in the background. I do believe, though, that after those initial scenes he became overwhelmed by his popularity and screen time and that's when he started to goof with the lines. Probably he just wasn't use to the immense amounts of dialogue he had to memorize daily. Also, I think after initial Barnabas the writers seemed uncertain where to take the character and this might be another reason why his performances sagged. Personally, I disliked his "dream cuse" work much more so. But by that time I hear he was exhausted by the pressure. As much as Frid is criticized I still believe he carried the show for years.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 02:09:56 AM »
I always wanted someone at Collinwood - one of the family - to find out about Barnabas. After a while, it got kind of tiring to see only Julia in on things.  I think it would've been interesting if one of the other characters had discovered his secret (and not forgotten about it). With good writing, it could've been fun to watch.

Beyond Collinwood, I think it would've been neat if Chris had found out because I like the friendship between Chris and Barnabas once Barnabas discovers what Chris is and wants to help him.

Like others, I think Stokes knew, but there was no drama there because if he knew he chose not to say anything and even though Barnabas and Julia went to him on more than one occasion, they still kept him on the outside, so to speak.

Penny - I agree, David definitely knew....it's fascinating to speculate that he knew from then on about Barnabas. Like in [spoiler]1970 when he & Hallie want to try and tell someone about the playroom, Daphne & Gerard....David chooses Barnabas because he's "different".[/spoiler]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 02:31:39 AM »
There're a few more comments about the Collection 1 & 2 DVD reviews in this topic:

Some reviews of possible interest