Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0986  (Read 1451 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0986
« on: April 26, 2010, 10:42:39 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0986
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 05:29:21 AM »
What has surprised me several times during the Watching Project is how little it takes to give the effect of a great deal.  I was surprised at how little we saw of Maggie at the Old House back in 1967 when Barnabas was trying to turn her into Josette.  I was surprised at how few times we saw Minerva Trask.  And now I'm surprised at how short a time it took for Maggie to leave Collinwood in a huff.  I shouldn't be; Kathryn Leigh Scott is needed on the set for the movie. But I'm surprised anyway.  And I think to myself: "Maggie didn't give the marriage much of a chance."  But there were serious problems there, so maybe she was right to pull Quentin up short right away, and let him know that the marriage wasn't just about him.

I can't remember what Bruno's price to Cyrus turned out to be for getting the little red book.  Once again a character assumes he wants something more so much he'll pay any price for it, and I'm assuming that once again a character will discover that there's a price he wasn't so willing to pay after all.

I don't know what to make of Alexis allowing Bruno to borrow the address book.  If she is in fact Angelique, then I wouldn't think she would be so casual about letting it out of her hands.  If she is in fact Alexis, then she should have remembered that Angelique is dead, and that, legally, the address book probably belongs to Quentin now, so that Angelique's wishes in the matter are irrelevant.  And speaking of legal matters, how is it that Angelique had ownership of the cottage so that she could give it to Bruno?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 05:40:42 AM »
Voiceover... slight pause before he, Selby?, attempted the word "dissolute".   Alexis on stairs in her nightie, while narrator says "A woman has come to Collinwood..."  A woman with big giant powder puffs on her shoulders! ... I wanted him to say.   Still, she looks really nice here.

Maggie splits, yelling that she doesn't need Q, she has a big Hollywood movie to work on, in my head anyway.   ND/Amy is good.  You can see her thinking.

Q walks in on Bruno and Cyrus.  It's the Big Hair Club for Men!   Closing credits... wanton display of black afghan.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 05:50:49 AM »
ND/Amy is good.  You can see her thinking.
I loved Amy's line, "I wonder if they'll make you call her Alexis, too," and Denise Nickerson's delivery of it had a nice "Welcome to the madhouse" tone.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 02:26:22 PM »
Denise is always a different actress, than David an actor. She certainly scream differently.

Quentin is usually really messed up when it comes to the ladies. This part of the show seems like a regular soap opera. Does Alexis really know what she is doing?

I guess with all the men in DS, when do they work?
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 06:50:17 AM »
And now I'm surprised at how short a time it took for Maggie to leave Collinwood in a huff.  I shouldn't be; Kathryn Leigh Scott is needed on the set for the movie. But I'm surprised anyway.  And I think to myself: "Maggie didn't give the marriage much of a chance."  But there were serious problems there, so maybe she was right to pull Quentin up short right away, and let him know that the marriage wasn't just about him.

If I were Maggie, I would have run screaming from Collinwood too. She has been under the gun and tried by every member of the family, as well as the servants.

So what is "Alexis" up to?

Is there a PT Mrs. Johnson?

I was watching an old movie today where Spencer Tracy was staying at a luxury hotel and when he went to use the phone, there was no dial thing. So that's where Dan Curtis got those old phones...

Check out Bruno's jacket. It is very similar to one that Davy Jones sported on one of the Monkees episodes, Forget which song he sang...

Ack! The afghan!

Ship docking from Genoa. Hope to hell they brought along massive quantities of salami.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 07:53:42 AM »
Is there a PT Mrs. Johnson?
Maybe PT Burke Devlin eloped with her to Brazil.  I think Clarice Blackburn had other fish to fry by this time (at least I hope she did, given how little we saw of Mrs. Johnson after 1897) but I think she would have done an fine job as the Mrs. Danvers substitute.  It was, however, very satisfying to see Julia's talent for obsessing aimed at a different target.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 08:47:16 PM »
I like your theory about PT and Mrs. J and Burke! What a hoot!  And yes it would have been interesting to see CB play the Danvers role and I am confident she would have done an extraordinary job!  

4/6/70

I love the Angelique/Parallel Time Room!  :) It's a great place for all of (or most of the) the action to take play out.  One of the famous afghan’s has made an appearance  again this time residing on top of Bruno's piano!  Who puts an afghan on a beautiful baby grand??  Maybe some but not me!  Per usual Quentin’s gives in to making out with another woman not long after his wife has fled.  I really didn't find much to say about this one.  Kind of bored me I am sad to say!  

Written by Joe Caldwell
Directed by Henry Kaplan
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 09:15:49 PM »
One of my favorite moments in this ep has to be Quentin's reaction to Amy's screams when she sees a woman she presumes is Angelique back from the dead. I've jokingly taken him to task before for not exactly being understanding/reassuring/comforting by barking out, "Amy, stop that! ... Amy, stop that. ... Now, stop that screaming and come down here."

But let's face it - wasn't it about time someone said something like that at Collinwood!  [lghy]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 10:16:14 PM »
HEE! Great laugh and oh so true MB!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 10:49:45 PM »

A friendly reminder:  Please be sure to read the posts in a topic before adding your own.  Thanks!

I was actually pretty amazed that Lara Parker was shown in closeup in that nightgown.  Agree with Magnus-- she looked great, but it seemed risqué  for the original DS.

LOL, MB.  For once, I managed to get my hands over my dog's ears before Amy let out that scream.  Whew!  (Nancy B's appearance alone in an ep causes doggie to immediately leave the room.)

Was the closeup shown of Collinwood (with the tower on the right half of the screen) new to DS?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 05:41:05 PM »
Voiceover... slight pause before he, Selby?, attempted the word "dissolute".

Stroka

it seemed risqué  for the original DS.

Was the closeup shown of Collinwood ... new to DS?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 07:56:24 PM »
Was the closeup shown of Collinwood ... new to DS?

I keep meaning to go through my screen caps to see if it is. But for what it's worth, it did seem to be new...