Author Topic: We're not Trekkies...  (Read 5617 times)

Offline proudhug

• !!! "Leo" Spotter !!!
  • Junior Poster
  • It's endless ENDLESS!!
    • View Profile
    • CollinWiki
Re: We're not Trekkies...
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2005, 04:41:29 AM »
We could aiways call ourselves Darkkies.  Just a thought, Elmont...

Haha, that's not cool.  That reminds me of "Operation Get Behind the Darkies" from the South Park movie.  http://new.wavlist.com/movies/300/sthprk-darkies.wav

The term I've always used is "Dark Shadows fan."  Kinda bland I know, but I never really liked the idea of using a "witty" name to describe your fandom (... this from the guy who came up with the name "CollinWiki." [santa_huh]).  I have so many different fandoms to which I belong, with so many varying degrees of "obsession" that it seems silly to me to categorize them all at this point.
Help us create the ultimate  Dark Shadows EncyclopediaLearn everything there is to know about the world of Dark Shadows at the CollinWiki!

http://darkshadows.wikicities.com

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2005, 06:03:04 AM »
So with that in mind we might also have,

Shadowmeister - recognized expert in all things DS
Shadowaficionado - someone who likes and deeply appreciates all things DS (hopes to one day attain the level of Shadowmeister)
Shadowphobe - person who fears DS
Shadowphilephobe - person who fears DS fans
Shadowholic - person who is addicted to DS
Shadowdancer - one who simply must dance when they hear the music of DS
Shadowpuppet - person who has nothing original to say about DS and simply mimicks the Shadowaficionados and the Shadowmeisters

[laughing4]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2005, 06:14:07 AM »
"Operation Get Behind the Darkies" from the South Park movie.  http://new.wavlist.com/movies/300/sthprk-darkies.wav

BTW, that's from the Southpark online archive on WavList.com:  http://new.wavlist.com/movies/300/.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2005, 06:53:48 AM »
I like the sound of Shadowfan. Shadowphile is not bad either.

Don't Trekkies want to be called Trekkers nowadays?

Nowadays?  By the early 70s, many fans were running away screaming from the term "Trekkies" and regarded it as an epithet (because it was used as one by non-fans), and they came up with "Trekkers" to replace it.  A "trekkie" came to be seen as an overly-obsessed fan.    But slightly tweaking the name didn't change much.   It certainly didn't change the negative attitudes of non-fans.

My feeling for years has been that the genuine adults (and mature kids) who appreciate Trek don't want to be called anything.    I don't.    My definition of a "trekkie" is:  Someone who would prefer to be called a Trekker.    (Someone who wants a label.)

I wouldn't be against labels so much if all of them sounded as good as "Shadowphiles".

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2005, 07:16:01 AM »
I like the sound of Shadowfan. Shadowphile is not bad either.

Don't Trekkies want to be called Trekkers nowadays?

Nowadays?  By the early 70s, many fans were running away screaming from the term "Trekkies" and regarded it as an epithet (because it was used as one by non-fans), and they came up with "Trekkers" to replace it.

I stand corrected.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2005, 09:24:24 PM »
How about "Shadowers"?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2005, 09:38:26 PM »
We're 40 years into this love affair with a TV show and NOW we're worrying about what other people call us?!

If we require identification, please, let us be true to the show and refer to ourselves as "cousins from England."   I can't imagine a better name.  It has the additional benefit of being incomprehensible to people who know nothing about the series.....how perfect! [smrtasb].
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2005, 11:46:14 PM »
Creepy accountants we are not... [santa_azn]  Although, I do like the idea of an ID card.  That way we can be known the world over.  And, in event of emergency, Julia Hoffman, M.D. could be summoned to administer lots of sedatives.

Most people I know don't even know what the hell I'm talking about.  I get called Loca a lot. [santa_cheesy]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2005, 12:07:10 AM »
Most people I know don't even know what the hell I'm talking about.

In a way, though, I think that's good because we don't get ridiculed like Star Trek, Star Wars or even Rocky Horror Picture Show fans do.  [santa_sad]

As for membership cards, I don't remember if it had one of those (it might have, I'll have to check through my stuff), but the officially DCP sanctioned DS Vampire Club that was active in the late '60s gave out members certificates (I used to have mine displayed on my bedroom wall  [santa_wink]). It got terribly faded over time (I actually had it on display until the first wave of syndication ended in '77), and I don't even know what I did with it - but IF I can locate it, I'll scan it (and the membership card, if there was one).

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2005, 04:51:02 AM »
Shadowboxer:  A DS fan who'd rather fight than switch.

Five O'Clock Shadow:  A DS fan who is not out to his co-workers.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2005, 05:45:46 AM »
Some very amusing suggestions, tee hee!

Four-shadower:  A DS fan who watches 4 episodes every day.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2005, 09:13:33 AM »
I love Castlebee's list!  [lghy]

Shadowphilephobe - person who fears DS fans
  I love this.

So what would a Dark Shadows lover who fears DS fans be called??  Is there anyone else on here besides me who would fit that description?? [a2a3]

I thought of another category...
Shadows-codependent - someone who watches DS in search of comfort, familiarity, and a sense of returning home to a better time.  Unfortunately for some of us.... you can't go home.
So....(sigh)....the viscious circle continues.
There MUST be some kind of therapy available for this.  (wishful thinking I fear)

...Creepy accountants we are not... [santa_azn]

Jeez, I hope there aren't any cousins on here who happen to be creepy accountants!  LOL

I thought of another one:
Shadow-ite - someone who speaks DS - who uses actual phrases from scripts word for word which fit into their conversations.  Unless the person they are speaking to is another Shadow-ite however, they are not aware of what's going on.

"It's a foreboding...an ominous foreboding."

"I can't explain it to you right now..."

CLC
Quentinphile - someone who appreciates Quentin for his mind only.  (I lie a lot)  [winkb]

[nut]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2005, 10:17:33 AM »
I thought of another one:
Shadow-ite - someone who speaks DS - who uses actual phrases from scripts word for word which fit into their conversations.  Unless the person they are speaking to is another Shadow-ite however, they are not aware of what's going on.

Guilty as charged...once in whlie. LOL

Quentinphile - someone who appreciates Quentin for his mind only.  (I lie a lot)

LOL... and who can forget Juliaphile, dahhling?    [santa_cheesy]  :-*

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2005, 04:03:38 PM »
If we require identification, please, let us be true to the show and refer to ourselves as "cousins from England."

I must admit, I like that we members of this forum are referred to as "cousins"!  It's cute and makes you feel like you're part of the Collins family!   [santa_smiley]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2005, 01:43:29 AM »
what if it's a specific character that you're partial to.

barnabites?
victorians?
hoffmaniacs?
lizbians?
quentenials?

i agree with what mysterious said about it being something of a good thing that most people don't know what i'm talking about when the d.s. addiction comes up.i'm not instantly labled "geek" as some other cult show devotees are.i'm not remotely into any other vampire/horror/fantasy stuff so most people don't know what to make of it.when i tell them it's a "soap opera" they just sort of accept that. [santa_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.