Author Topic: I had no idea that...  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I had no idea that...
« on: August 12, 2009, 04:34:04 AM »
... there's a Cole Porter lyric that claims Joan Bennett took over Hedy Lamarr's old hairstyle.  Check out Hedy Lamarr: '30s film diva, mobile phone tech pioneer, anti-Nazi gadget inventor. and scroll down to comment #11 (and then to comment #14 for a take on Bennett's DS look).

Offline kyreb

• View Profile
Re: I had no idea that...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 05:01:59 PM »
No really seeing Joan Crawford's old hair, but then when I think about Joan Crawford all I remember are eyebrows!
BJ

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 09:25:53 PM »
Both Joans' hairstyles were actually pretty similar in the 60's.  First they had the long tresses that were behived up on top their heads and then afterwards cut shorter in a more "modern" look, that swept back, shoulder-length hair-sprayed do that had that 60's airline-stewardess "mod" look.

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 09:40:08 PM »
For me Joan Bennett's later hairdo (I think it first appears in early 1969) is forever associated with Lady Bird Johnson, erstwhile First Lady.  I did think it framed her face in a more "mod" way.  The hairdo that I found really strange on her was one that appeared around six weeks into the Summer of 1966.  It always makes me think as if Liz was doing a correspondence course in how to transform yourself into a geisha.  It disappeared after a couple of weeks, thankfully, never to reappear.

When all is said and done, my favorite Liz hairstyle is the "tiara" do and its variations that she had through much of 1966 and 1967.  I always associate it with her charging at that smug, smirking Burke Devlin and reading him the riot act in the Collinwood Drawing Room. Those scenes with the two of them rate among the finest moments of the series.  Later on she had a similar hairdo in her sparring with Jason Maguire. Fabulous days.

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 10:40:14 PM »
You're so right about Joan's (Bennett that is, not Crawford, but she might've had it, too) do looking like Lady Bird.  Imagine if it had been eight years earlier and she tried to emulate Jackie, pillbox hat and all.

Gerard

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 01:02:14 AM »
It goes deeper than hairstyles: both Joan and Hedy were married to screenwriter Gene Markey!  He was also married to Myrna Loy, whose hairstyle was very much her own. 

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 02:41:51 AM »
during her days on d.s. joan bennett as elizabeth stoddard had(with slight variations)three principle hairdos...

the towering updo(including gothick's bizarre geisha confection)of 1966-68 which,post live burial,is replaced by the tidy pageboy of the quentin era which is in turn followed by the neat "flip" of the levializ period.

although i'm somewhat loyal to the beehive(worn during joan's best period on the program)and appreciative of the smartness of the pageboy i think that final 1970 look ended up being the most flattering on joan.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.