Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0783  (Read 625 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0783
« on: September 04, 2014, 03:24:39 PM »
Robservations #783

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0783

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 07:46:22 PM »
Mysterious hints are being dropped regarding the Hand and Petofi.  I think Grayson in a VO and Evan have both mentioned "Azhden".  They now know building up mystery and atmosphere are as important as suspense.

Barnabas hypnotizes Nora.  Magda gets to Barnabas's cave through the woods, making it seem as if there's no climbing down over rocks involved, but I see the cave as being at the bottom of a huge rocky structure with the Collins estate on top of it.  I love that cave.  It looks perfect, but I've long had this theory that they made it by stapling big crumbled up pieces of black paper to the studio walls.

Barnabas wants to save Charity (from himself!), but is willing to risk her life in a way that he's not willing to risk Quentin's.  We can't use this on Quentin!  It's too dangerous!  Oh I know, we'll use it on Charity to find out how dangerous it is, first!  The Hand cures her.  Evan sees.  More nice twists and turns in the plot.  I can't imagine that Evan would have considered Barnabas a likely suspect to have sent the Hand... vampires don't usually heal their victims.  Maybe he came prepared for anything, though.  He finds Barnabas in the cave... end.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 07:26:33 PM »
Barnabas hypnotizes Nora into forgetting him in the gentlest way possible. He must feel that somehow Sarah is watching him. (I know, I know, sentimental!)

Is that how "Azhden" is spelled??

I also love the cave, MT. Your crumpled-black-paper hypothesis works for me. The overwhelmingly green interior sets are a bit tacky, but I've always loved the trees, which look very real and beautifully made.

I guess now that Barnabas is safe in his bat cave, he can afford not to have Charity as a host. I'm sure he had fun fooling her father, but even Barn now realizes that Worthington Hall is too hot to hold him--although of course the end of the ep. tells us that he realizes this much too late. His motives for trying out the hand on Charity seem highly questionable to me.

Everyone in the Collins universe should realize that letting any character played by HAA get the last word is never a good idea. Barnabas has had to return to the cave and is opening his coffin when he hears a sudden noise. Magda? he calls, then exclaims, It is you! he exclaims. Before him stands Evan Hanley. He is wearing a large gold cross on a chain around his neck, and he holds the cross in front of him. Good evening, Mr. Collins! he says with taunting politeness. Or should I say, Good morning?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 08:34:53 PM »
Bat cave, chuckle...

"Azhden" is just pronounced that way, that's all I know...

Good synopses as always DL...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 08:37:56 PM »
Thanks, MT!