Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0734  (Read 2950 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0734
« on: February 26, 2009, 12:20:55 AM »

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0734
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 03:41:42 AM »
Trask sure is despicable!  I well remember this part of the storyline well as I was being threatened with being sent away to school at the time it originally aired and seeing this was truely frightening to the boy who used to be me. When Jamison saw the key, I remember thinking you fool don't use it.  Jamison seems so immature and unworldly. No wonder he a pawn for Quentin. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 08:41:53 PM »
I well remember this part of the storyline well as I was being threatened with being sent away to school at the time it originally aired and seeing this was truely frightening to the boy who used to be me.

You poor thing.

Some of the nuns at my Catholic school believed that children "learn through fear" too.  Though to their credit, they NEVER thought of us as animals.  (Though it's not surprising to learn that Trask looks down on animals too.)

Wow, what a great villain!  He can stir painful memories, or inspire such hatred that you want to talk back to him through your screen.  Or maybe that last one is just me?  [snow_grin]

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 09:03:24 PM »
<- also quilty of talking to the screen when watching  [snow_grin]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 09:04:23 PM »
Hee hee!  Cool.   [snow_cheesy]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 12:37:54 AM »
I remember saying "WHAT?!" to the screen when Julia, in 1968, [spoiler]decided to bury Barnabas to be on the safe side, like a Monty Python dead budgie,[/spoiler] but I'm sure there have been other moments too.   Now we're back in the part of the storyline that I've seen once again.   What I love about Trask, especially Greg, is that he's a scenery-chewing melodramatic villain and there's much fun to be had from him in that way, yet at the same time he's a credible villain with weight to him that you can actually be motivated to despise.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 01:25:30 AM »
...yet at the same time he's a credible villain with weight to him that you can actually be motivated to despise.

And your avatar captures that very essence of him. Every time I look at it I'm transported back in time mentally to the feelings I had as a kid watching him on the show.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 01:45:31 AM »
Yay, cuz I've been anxiously awaiting the point at which you can participate again, Magnus.

And I prefer calling him by his first name too, btw, instead of Reverend.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 07:04:50 AM »
My mother once told me that "Reverend" was never really supposed to be a title, but just a sort of respectful adjective one could choose to use about a minister (or anyone else if you wanted), but that it became misused as a title in later years.

The thing that really launches the Trasks, especially Gregory, into genuine, supreme coolness is the fact that the minister crusading against evil is the villain, and the vampire is the hero.   This epitomizes what was so great about the 60s.   Clickes were being subverted and turned on their heads, and people were freer as a result.   Hypocrisies were coming out into the open.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 03:28:32 AM »
I just call him Trask  [naughty]

He is such a hypocritical slime at this point.  Straight out of any of a number of Dickens novels, by way of the Brontes. Hmm thinking back a few episodes ago, Quentin sure had him and the kind of school he ran pegged awfully fast.  Wonder if the boys were all sentenced to a school like that when they were young.  Sure might explain a lot about the Collins boys if they survived a school like that  We really don't have much of an idea when their parents died and who was making the decisions about their schooling.

Jerry Lacy sure knows how to pour on the twinkly eyed villainy.  Love the final scene where he looks at Rachel with such a smirk.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 06:16:01 AM »
[contains spoilers for #739, #741, & #744 --admin]

I've just seen #734-744, and can't separate one from the others, not from my notes certainly, so I'll just start, never mind which exact ep....

First Note:  "My dear lady, I would follow you anywhere!!"   I think this was Trask being especially creepy, maybe said to Judith.

Is Laura sustained by the burning of her portrait?

Q to Laura re children: "I know what will happen to them if you take them."   Does he?   We never really find out where Laura goes and comes back from, do we?   This may be explained in my VHS gap.

Q re hunting Jenny-- he says Jenny's an animal with a knife.  Judith says Q is an animal with a gun.   That was nicely done.   Q's only slightly less dangerous than Jenny to Judith.

Jenny thinks Barnabas is a hotel bellhop!

I'll start going forward in these threads to find a spot to continue these remarks from.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 03:40:58 AM »
The scenes when Trask disciplined Jamison for eavesdropping were truly frightening to me as a kid. [shiver] Trask was a tyrant who went way overboard with the discipline. I don't blame Jamison for using the key to get out!  [ghost_rolleyes] Being locked in the closet was really terrifying. In a way, Trask reminds me of my dad. As bad as my dad was, though, Trask was much worse. Luckily, I was able to hide in the bathroom or outside to escape my father's rageaholic temper. I've never been locked in a closet! That would be really scary! [ghost_shocked]

Poor Tim, being blackmailed by Trask to entice Rachel to come back to the school. [ghost_sad] That last scene, when Trask said, "Good evening, Miss Drummond," was also quite scary. Rachel thought she was "home free", and then was surprised by Trask's presence. Horrifying. Reminds me of the "boogie man". I hate Trask!  [angry1] (But I love the actor, Jerry Lacy, because he was so convincing as Trask and did a wonderful job.) [clap2]

I'm glad that Magda gave the brooch back to Rachel. [ghost_smiley] Indeed, Magda did seem to have a soft heart for some people in some circumstances. She was a "tough cookie" when she needed to be, and a savior at other times -  a "tough cookie" with a "heart of gold". She talked tough many times when she really wasn't that tough. That's a big reason why I love her character so much.  [love2]

----- Sally -----
[ghost_cool] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 06:08:53 AM »
My heart goes out to young Sally.  *hugs*

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 07:47:09 AM »
I just decided to send the post I just wrote to you Sally in a PM.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 09:02:33 AM »
Thanks, Midnite and Magnus. [ghost_smiley]

*Hugs* to you, too, Midnite. [hug] 

I'll reply to your PM soon, Magnus. [ghost_wink]

----- Sally -----
[ghost_cool] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----