Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0337  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0337
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 04:48:54 PM »
One would definitely assume the West Wing would have at least one separate entrance - if only for fire safety in such a huge house. And perhaps when Liz referred to it as a independent unit, she was merely considering the fact that access to and from it could be locked to make it more private? When locked it wouldn't be like Carolyn or Roger or especially David could simply pop in unannounced at an, uh, inopportune time  ;D  (though locked doors never did stop David from getting in anywhere  ;)).

As for the business with David and Amy and the toy chest, where would the suspense have been had they used some unseen stairway and door to get from Quentin's room to the outside? Even though it was most probably much more illogical for them to use the main stairway/entrance, it was much more exciting for the audience to wonder if they'd get caught sneaking out.  [wink2]

The interesting thing is that there are only three stairways in the real Seaview - and one of them is only a narrow servants' stairs. If DS had been shot using the actual location as Collinwood, David and Amy would have had no choice but to use one of the two main stairways, and their attempt to get outside undetected would have been just as harrowing.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 03:31:14 AM »
Did anyone notice that the camera panned a little too far over to the left in the scene in which Roger and Dr. Woodard were looking at Barnabas' painting in the foyer?  I'm assuming that what we caught a glimpse of was not part of the actual set, but it was hard to tell what exactly was there.  It's always nice to get those inadvertant "behind-the-scenes" moments (my favorite is when they accidentally showed too much of the old house staircase, revealing that it was really only about five steps up to the top of the landing).

It's odd that Elizabeth has so much say in what happens to David regarding military school.  She acts almost more like his mother than his aunt.

Offline buzz

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 09:24:25 PM »
I thought the conversation between Dr. Woodard and Barnabas was one if Frid's best acted scenes. I also wondered about the unusually long pause. This Woodard is soooo unlike Gerringer-----I also tried to imagine how he would play the scene. If the Doctor were so convinced that Barnabas was one of the undead (implied), why would he EVER visit him alone---and be so confrontational?????

Gerringer was a very good actor, and his performance as Dr. Woodard was a highlight of this period in the show. It was a shame the strike took place and he was replaced. Turgeon was not in the same caliber and I don't think he received the same sympathy the Gerringer's death would have. That being said, the scene between he and Frid was well acted, although it is obvious someone forgot their lines. 

I also liked the first caretaker. He was so quirky and offbeat that you had to laugh. His replacement was too young and did not convey that personality (and you'd be quirkly too if you were the caretaker in THAT place!

Nick