Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0338  (Read 1345 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0338
« on: July 11, 2007, 07:11:01 PM »

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0338
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 10:50:29 PM »
Even though it isn't RG playing Dr. Woodards role, I still feel terrible for the mess he's gotten himself into.

It's obvious that Julia has strong feelings where Barnabas is concerned, and she's very embarrassed to talk about it with Dr. Woodard. Although she's admitting how she feels about barnabas to him, she's doing it to keep him from getting harmed, otherwise, I don't think she would tell him anything of what she's feeling.

In later episodes, we don't hear much of Julia's feelings for barnabas, and rarely are they acknowledged with one another, accept friendship. Too bad. It would have been interesting to see them talk about it, at least a little, especially after all she's done to help him.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 12:18:13 AM »
Barnabas doesn't know how good he has it, when it come to Julia.  PT doesn make it easy to let hime go. Doesn't play the role as good as RG. I didn't like the way everyone ganged up on Julia qand made her reveal her feelings. Then they were tromped on by both Men.

Jonathan has a way of one minute being bad and evil  and the next minute being softer. Good show.

I wish they would show more of B and J, just being friends not just the conflects about SYT.  I wonder if they did SYT's for the fans.  ;) They did grow to become dependant on each other.  Do you think people would except B and J a couple.

SYT,  Sweet Young Thing.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 12:46:03 AM »
I completely agree with you, Lori, they should have shown more episodes involving B and J and the complexity of their relationship. After all, we got to see Angelique and Barnabas, Josette and Barnabas, if only for a short time, and even Vicki and Barnabas, but never Julia and barnabas. Even in their friendship moments, they tended to shy away from talking about their specific personal feelings regarding one another.  :(

I'm not sure if any other fans would like to see them as a couple, but this fan most certainly would have loved it!  8)
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 01:17:54 AM »
among other things unrequited or unfullfilled love were major themes on d.s..

unfortunately for julia barnabas,as written,did not share her romantic feelings in the least.

since jonathan and grayson were both in their forties i do think that the s.y.t. angle was about attracting that younger fan hence he was constantly paired romantically with women twenty years his junior.

since julia fell for barnabas during his evil phase before we the viewer saw the origins of his condition during the 1795 storyline it doesn't speak particularly highly of her judgement or character up till that point.the writers softened her up a bit later on.

sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 02:06:40 AM »
Would have loved to have seen Barnabas and Julia get together.

Julia so desperately wants to protect Barnabas but she also doesn't want to see Dave get killed in the progress.  She's really caught between a rock and a hard place. Unfortunately her telling him to butt out of Barnabas' affairs is useless now that Dave knows for a fact that Barnabas is in fact the same one who supposedly went to England two centuries ago and that Sarah is indeed his little sister, back from the grave.

Good episode.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 02:54:28 AM »
Excellent episode.  I didn't mention the other day how much I liked the way Dr. Woodard was induced to have his brainstorm about Barnabas - the discussion of the bite wounds on Maggie and Willie followed by the psychiatrist's facetious mention of Barnabas gobbling people up.  Very neat.  And now here we are dealing with the results, and poor Julia is being torn in two.

I'm surprised that it doesn't occur to Barnabas that somebody might listen in at the window of the Old House.  When you've grown up in a house, you should be pretty familiar with the eavesdropping possibilities there.

The lighthearted mention of skeletons in the closet in the West Wing was amusing in light of later developments.  It would be interesting to see how Burke would deal with a hostile ghost.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 11:13:43 AM »
Burke and Elizabeth sure made a big turnaround in the past year.  A year before, Burke was ---- SPOILER ----- trying to destroy the Collins family as revenge for what had happened 10 years earlier. END OF SPOILER   Now, Elizabeth was offering Burke and Vicki the West Wing as a place to live!  (Although, I think Burke always respected Elizabeth.) [winkg]

Pretty sly for Dr. Woodard to spy on Barnabas and Julia.  I kept on thinking that they would catch him!  [shkdg] Not this time... [shkdb] I must admit, as I am rewatching DS this time around, I don't think PT was all that bad as Dr. Woodard.  I would be a lot more upset about the coming developments if RG had continued in the role, though. [bawl]

Poor Julia is torn between her friend and her romantic interest.  She doesn't want to hurt either Dr. Woodard or Barnabas. [sadg]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 02:36:27 PM »
It would have been interesting to see Barnabas's reaction if a "love interest" for Julia were inserted somewhere in the series. This is the beginning of their relationship, rocky at best, and we know in the near future it only gets worse. However, much later when they become comrades on a mission, (on several missions) the outcome may have been different.

Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 06:50:08 PM »
Oops, while uploading something for later today, I realized that before my enforced exile last week I'd uploaded this image to comment on this episode.  [6184]

Burke and Elizabeth sure made a big turnaround in the past year.  ... Now, Elizabeth was offering Burke and Vicki the West Wing as a place to live!

But didn't you just love the look on his face when she did?

If that isn't shocked surprise, I don't know what is!  [lghy]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 10:27:04 PM »
That look says to me, "West Wing?   Thank yoo!   Is that place where they have lots of bananas??"
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 03:20:43 AM »
Why does Vicky, in the opening voiceover, pretty much give away how this particular plot thread will end?