Author Topic: Slowing down?  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Slowing down?
« on: March 24, 2002, 05:21:25 AM »
Perhaps it's just me, but I don't think so:  things seem to be slowing down on this site.  I'm on a cable connection and things usually move pretty quickly.

But just in the last couple of days it seems to take longer to navigate my way around the site than it used to.

Is it just me or has anyone else noted/commented on this problem?   ?!?  Actually, it's not a problem at all, just a minor annoyance.  :(
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Slowing down?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2002, 06:02:27 AM »
Is it just me or has anyone else noted/commented on this problem?   ?!?

Raineypark,

I can't speak for Midnite, but no one has mentioned it to me. However, I've noticed that the forum has been slowing down for more than a week now. I definitely know what at least part of the problem is, but I just haven't had the time to comment on it yet. Hopefully I'll get to do it sometime tomorrow. I'd just rather not get into the whole situation here or now. But the good news is that if people comply with two requests I plan to make, it should be easily fixable. [smlyb]

Have I peaked your curiousity? [wink2]  

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2002, 04:53:17 PM »
::)....Oh, sure, that's just fine MB....go ahead....answer my question with a conundrum!!!   Just what I needed first thing on a Sunday morning.  :P

Never mind, I shall patiently stand here on one foot, waiting for you to unveil your latest "goody".  ;)
Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2002, 01:06:07 AM »
....go ahead....answer my question with a conundrum!!!  
Raineypark

Sounds like a cue for the Illinois Enigma Bandit!

It just might be what they all need! :P
[Michael Kenyon, a true story]

cheers,
Ringo, [a slave of freedom] ready to blindly follow any requests and requirements of the MB
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2002, 05:31:04 PM »
Ok MB, I guess it was worth waiting on one foot, to find out I HAD an outbox and it was clogging up the pipes!!

I have dutifully emptied out my trash....hope I wasn't supposed to sort and recycle!

Also hope everyone else in the community does likewise, because today this thing is moving like a turtle. :(
Raineypark

Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2002, 06:29:54 PM »
Raineypark, have you tried dumping your browser cache?  That can really help speed things up for users.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2002, 09:59:29 PM »
Yes, Midnite...tried that....no use.

Maybe it's not slower....maybe I'm just getting more impatient as I grow older!
Raineypark
Dylan Thomas

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2002, 11:03:14 PM »
have you tried dumping your browser cache?  

uh-oh! that is a new one for this old one ;)

I dunno how to do that kinda dumping?  guidance du dumpage, por favor?

I did dutifully clean out my IM's, MB - hope that helps! [dint realize the potential bog!]

and another thing, Just to not have to play password, I always stayed 'logged in' [so to speak] - is that OK, or is that a 'slow-downer' for others when I am not actually here? [so to speak....as if....]

and something I discovered by accident, that probably the more computer literate [everyone else] might have already 'stumbled upon' - the little numbers that indicate the number of pages under a given thread, clicking on  one of those takes ya directly to the page, and that saves wait time for the already read pages to load, then having to click on the next one, and so forth.  I am now just clicking on the highest [I should be so lucky] page number and work my way up till I come to something I have read.  This works similar to the 'go to last unread post' function we discussed, and saves time and re-reading!  This may be 'old hat' [hi luciaphil] to many, and I may be the only one who didn't realize that [but there are soooo many really neat little features here, it takes us oldies a while to catch on!]  and when I was first fishing my way around the new board, not that many thread had the pages and pages  :D that they do now!

Youse guys have done DSfandom a real service - and TPTB need to know about it!!!   Anything else we need to know or do to make your administrative duties easier or better?

A technical Oscar should go to YOU TWO! 8)

......accepting the award for The MB and Midnight is Sir McMoneybags
[since he was just standing there, after losing to a VERY WELL DESERVED Randy Newman!]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2002, 11:45:08 PM »
Oh my god, Ringo, did I give the impression that I knew what a "browser cache" was, and how one dumped it?

Hell no....that's why I stay married to Info Tech Wizard Hubby...so that when the great and powerful MB and Midnite tell me things in Computereez, I can obtain translation.  Then I do as I'm told and hope for the best.

In this case, I don't see much difference...my computer is still dragging it's sorry butt.

On a brighter note, though.....HOORAY RANDY!!  It's about time!!!!!

Raineypark, who's 15 year old just found Mommy's collection of Beatle vinyl AND figured out how to use Ye Olde Turntable.....YIKES!
Dylan Thomas

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2002, 03:53:52 AM »

so that when the great and powerful MB and Midnite tell me things in Computereez, I can obtain translation.  Then I do as I'm told and hope for the best.

Raineypark!!!
I LOVE YOU... :) :)
I'd be lost without Midnite (and MB is too tech for me).

BTW...the whole reason I read this topic is because I too had noticed a major slow down (starting about 5-6 days ago).

I don't believe I have any messages (God knows I aint got no cash$$$)!!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2002, 04:16:37 AM »
I dunno how to do that kinda dumping?  guidance du dumpage, por favor?

Even your questions are never dull, Ringo.  Hee hee!!

For MSIE:
(can be done offline or with this message open)
Click "Tools" to open the menu
Click "Internet Options"
Under "Temporary Internet files", click "delete files"
Check "delete all offline content", click "ok"
Close it and you're done!

For Netscape:
Open menu under "Edit"
Click "Internet Options"
Double click "Advanced" to show more listings
Click "Cache"
Click "Clear Disk Cache", then "OK".

Just to not have to play password, I always stayed 'logged in' [so to speak] - is that OK, or is that a 'slow-downer' for others when I am not actually here? [so to speak....as if....]

Hee hee to the "as if"!  No, that's not a problem.  I always stay logged in too.

I may be the only one who didn't realize that

I would bet any money that you've done a service to a lot of readers that hadn't yet discovered they can jump directly to the last page in a topic.  Are you using the "Forum Jump" when you're at the bottom of a topic and ready to change boards?  It's very cool.

Ringo, you are SO sweet!  This is for you... :-*

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2002, 06:43:37 AM »
(and MB is too tech for me)

Sorry about that, Patti. [sadg] I try to use as little computer tech lingo as possible on the forum. I really do. Honest.. [winkb]

So I guess this means you really wouldn't want to be around when I talk shop with my other IT type friends and colleagues, huh? ;D

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2002, 09:20:00 AM »

Are you using the "Forum Jump" when you're at the bottom of a topic and ready to change boards?

Soint-ney!  When the board first opened I swam around and poked just about everything, and thought 'now how can I abuse that????'  and that 'jump' looked like a time saver!   anytime I can avoid waiting for a transitional screen to load, that's time well-not-wasted!

and thanky for the dump-o-gram instructions!  Who knew?  blame it on the dog! :-[

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2002, 09:56:32 AM »
Raineypark!!!
I LOVE YOU... :) :)
I'd be lost without Midnite (and MB is too tech for me).

I'd be lost without MB. :)

BTW...the whole reason I read this topic is because I too had noticed a major slow down (starting about 5-6 days ago).

I don't know what to tell you.  I've noticed the board a little slower with the increased activity (weekends on VNet were slow; now I'm just blown away), but not like what you're both describing.  I do find myself waiting a bit longer for some topics to load, though, if they contain live-action avatars (but I'm not naming names, hee hee!!).

I don't believe I have any messages (God knows I aint got no cash$$$)!!!

You should check it. Below the forum logo, you'll see "Hey, Patti, you have __ messages."  Click on the word "messages" and see what you find. ;)