Author Topic: Now some posts don't even show up!!  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Now some posts don't even show up!!
« on: March 22, 2002, 07:31:06 AM »
I have a feeling you already know about this one.  I just found Midnite's post by checking the last 10 and all it says is "Test."  So, presumably you've discovered what I'm about to mention.

When I was finished with everything I went back and found one topic - Vlad's 1795 comments - had "New" - and he was listed as the last poster at 10 something, a few minutes before my post, which was then the most recent.  I brought up the thread, and nothing new!  I kept checking to see if there was a 2nd page that perhaps I was missing.

I went back to Home and back to the posts again, in case it just hadn't registered yet.  I finally checked the last 10 and it was there, so I had a chance to read it.  I checked the thread again - nothing!!

I left for about 15 minutes or so.  When I came back, everything looked strange, and I suddenly realized that you got the color problem fixed!!!!!  I also saw that Midnite had subsequently made another post in that same thread.  Aha, surely now it will be there!!  Nope - neither of them shows up.

Hers is now in the top 10, displacing his as not the most recent in that thread, but neither of them show up in the actual thread.
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Now some posts don't even show up!!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2002, 07:56:36 AM »
Vlad IM'd me when his post didn't show up, so I'm currently moving the hidden posts to another topic.  It's only the one topic that's affected, and I'm sure MB will take a look at it.  While transferring the messages over, I had a feeling I should check this board. ;)

BTW, MB, I love the previous and next buttons!

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2002, 07:59:59 AM »

When I was finished with everything I went back and found one topic - Vlad's 1795 comments - had "New" - and he was listed as the last poster at 10 something, a few minutes before my post, which was then the most recent.  I brought up the thread, and nothing new!  I kept checking to see if there was a 2nd page that perhaps I was missing.

I also saw that Midnite had subsequently made another post in that same thread.  

You know, the same thing is happening to me, and a couple of other strange things, too.   I noticed Vlad had been listed as 'most recent post' but the last post was by another poster.  the front page said something like 13 posts [i think] and  I counted the posts there were more than that there???  I went to the 10 recent function, but didn't get vlad there either.  so, Josette, it is not just you!

AND - for some reason my smiley's are not moving anymore!  The guy that claps ain't clapping, the flame thrower ain't throwing, and the rolling balls ain't rolling. [to paraphrase Magda!]  any body else got this happening?   My three year old [ancient] computer may be the problem, but on the GSN board, the moving smiley's are moving......?  and when I go to the page to check on the 'code' for the third page of smiley's all I get is a jumbled screen when I page down!?!

again, Whooooah Nellie, I ain't complaining, I am [to borrow an arashi-ism] hella loving this new board, with the fun, and privy messages and increased activity and new posters and all - so is the problem mine? or something wrong with the smiley's?

to quote George Burns 'If she dies, she dies!'

thanky
Ringo
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2002, 10:19:15 AM »
I'm sure MB will take a look at it.

MB found it was due to an error caused by the server.  As far as I can tell, only the one topic was corrupted.  The original topic is now locked to posting and the discussion can move to the new topic.

BTW, MB, I love the previous and next buttons!

Since I wrote this the buttons have evolved to something even better! :D

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2002, 10:36:45 AM »
Without getting too technical, what happened was that the server we host dsboards.com with shut down access to the domain for about two minutes so they could do some really quick routine maintenance, and when they did this one of the files that the forum's system uses to display the "More 1795 Comments" topic  became corrupted because it was being written to at the time. However, before they do maintenance, our host backs up our files, so I have access to an uncorrupted copy of the file.
For the time being if anyone wants to make another post to that thread, they should make it in the new version that Midnite started. Tomorrow I'll do what's necessary to repair the damaged file and merge the two versions together, and the topic should be as good as new. ;)
Things like this are bound to happen from time to time. Our hosting service guarantees a 99.9% uptime, but there's always going to be that 0.1%. The good thing is that any damage that might occur is easily fixable.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2002, 10:44:48 AM »
so is the problem mine? or something wrong with the smiley's?

Ringo,

The animated smileys were no longer animated because your browser didn't have access to them when our host briefly shut down the domain. But they're all back and working fine:

[flmthrw][hello][smash]

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2002, 01:50:14 AM »

But they're all back and working fine:

You are, as usual, correct! [hello]

Junior [still, but the first forever!] ;D
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!