Author Topic: Am I here?...or am I not?  (Read 956 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Am I here?...or am I not?
« on: March 10, 2002, 04:41:11 PM »
Time to ask Midnite and MB to solve a riddle for me:

I'm online, and logged in.  I know I am, because on the Current Topics page, it says Logout at the bottom.

But when I go back to the First page, I'm not listed among the Users, and it says Login at the bottom.

In addition, the First page does not list my just-entered post, but on the Current Topics page, my post is listed.

So, am I here, or am I not?   I don't mean to complain, but I'm starting to feel like little Sarah (pre-1795).
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Am I here?...or am I not?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2002, 08:42:58 PM »
I'm online, and logged in.  I know I am, because on the Current Topics page, it says Logout at the bottom.

But when I go back to the First page, I'm not listed among the Users, and it says Login at the bottom.

Raineypark,

If you've used your browser's Back button or its previous page listings to go back to the forum's first page, you're not seeing yourself listed among the users and you're still seeing the Login section at the bottom because what you're actually seeing is a copy of the page that first came up in your browser before you logged in. This copy was stored by your browser in its cache on your computer's hard drive.
If you'd like to see an updated version of the first page, you would have to Reload (or Refresh, depending on whether you're using Netscape or Microsoft Internet Explorer) the copy of the page. An easier thing to do is to display a new copy of the page, either by clicking on the words "General Discussions" after the second yellow folder at the top of the forum's boards topics/post display/post reply pages:

or by bringing down the forum's drop down menu located on the bottom right on the board topics/post display pages and clicking on those same words:

But the easiest way to display a new copy of the first page is to click on the word "Home" located as the first link in the menus at the top/bottom of most of the forum's pages.

I hope this helps. ;)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2002, 12:32:15 AM »
Thank you, oh great and powerful one, for your timely and thorough reply.

Unfortunately, I don't speak computereeze very well at all, so I had to ask my IT wizard husband what the heck you were talking about.  His translation was complete and concise: "Just log in as soon as you get on, instead of wandering around as a guest, and you won't have this problem any more!!"

He also explained the rest of it, so I promise not to ask this particular dumb question again.
Thanks again,
Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2002, 12:56:24 AM »
I promise not to ask this particular dumb question again.

Your question wasn't a dumb one at all. [winkb]