Author Topic: Old and New Smileys  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
Re: Old and New Smileys
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2002, 01:56:49 AM »
I'm trying this out to see if I can do what everyone is doing so don't feel that you are alone.  So far, all I can do is add the smileys. Even when I type the code, nothing shows up. :o  I can't to seem to change the font or the color.  :-[

Carol
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2002, 08:44:58 PM »
"I'm trying this out to see if I can do what everyone is doing so don't feel that you are alone.  So far, all I can do is add the smileys. Even when I type the code, nothing shows up. :o  I can't to seem to change the font or the color."

But at least you're trying....so far, all I can do is read, reply, and get outta town!  It's living with a pair of computer wizards...they make me crazy with their convoluted technical answers to the simplest questions. They can't just tell me what to do...they have to EXPLAIN everything to me...like I give a hoot!  Just tell me what keys to hit and when....then leave me alone!!
Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Old and New Smileys Okay MB...and maybe I should get my IT h
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2002, 10:29:53 PM »
Raineypark's
Okay MB...and maybe I should get my IT hubby (or my teenaged daughter, better yet)  to teach me how to use the smileys.....or hadn't you noticed that I never use them myself?

When you reach a spot in your message in which you'd like to add a smiley, if it's one of the ones above the message window just click on it and the symbol will appear automatically.  For the first (happy) face, you're going to see a : followed by ).  When the message is posted, it'll be converted to the smiley.  If it's one of the others listed in the posting section of the Help files, just duplicate the code exactly as you see it listed in the column next to it, being sure to include the [ and ].  It might help you to recognize what you're seeing in the codes if you know that b stands for blue, y = yellow and g = green.  Please feel free to experiment here as much as you'd like, and if you use the "preview" feature no one will see your test until you're ready to unveil it. :) You can also modify your own messages after you've posted them.

Raineypark's
But at least you're trying....so far, all I can do is read, reply, and get outta town!  It's living with a pair of computer wizards...they make me crazy with their convoluted technical answers to the simplest questions. They can't just tell me what to do...they have to EXPLAIN everything to me...like I give a hoot!  Just tell me what keys to hit and when....then leave me alone!!

That's where I come in, hee hee.  The computer wizard in my house isn't me-- it's my 12 year old son-- but if I can learn this stuff then I know that anybody else can too. ;)

The light colored tags above the smileys are the next thing I'd love to see you try.  Again, click on them to make them appear in the message window, and the text you insert between them is what is affected...

To emphasize certain words in your message:
The B makes the text between them bold, like this.  The I italicizes, like this.  And the U underlines.  Just make sure that for every tag at the start of your text, there's a corresponding tag with / at the other end.

To change the color of your text, open the pulldown menu under "Black", click on the color you want, and the tags will appear wherever your cursor is in your message.  Only the text that you insert between the two tags will change colors.

The square with the black A and arrow will bring up tags containing size =2.  Increasing the number increases the size of your letters.

To quote-- the easiest way to make a phrase appear in a shaded box is to surround the phrase with "quote" and "/quote", but substitute [ or ] for the quotation marks.

Now go for it, girlfriend. :D

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2002, 10:44:27 PM »
I'm trying this out to see if I can do what everyone is doing so don't feel that you are alone.  So far, all I can do is add the smileys. Even when I type the code, nothing shows up. :o  I can't to seem to change the font or the color.  :-[
Carol, I hope the message above is helpful to you.  Just make sure that you insert your text between whichever pair(s) of tags you've selected.  I haven't experimented with different fonts yet, but using the verdana font isn't going to make any noticeable difference because it's the one already used here.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2002, 02:07:29 AM »
Midnight,

I neglected to thank you when I read this post the first time...Thank You.

I have now printed out your "help" and am hanging the paper on my computer so I can refer to it while I try to experiment.

I'm also putting a note on it, threatening the annoying spouse and offspring with dire consequences if they touch your instructions, or open their mouths, while I'm working on this!

Gratefully,
Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2002, 04:13:21 AM »

Carol, I hope the message above is helpful to you.  Just make sure that you insert your text between whichever pair(s) of tags you've selected.  I haven't experimented with different fonts yet, but using the verdana font isn't going to make any noticeable difference because it's the one already used here.

I plan to give it a try and see what turns up every now and then. It may take me awhile to get as proficient as everyone else.

Carol :D
carolinamooon

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Moved: Re: Old and New Smileys
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2002, 03:29:48 AM »
Post was copied onto the "Current Talk" discussion board.

~Midnite
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2002, 03:27:43 AM »
[ghost]

[bnghd]

OMG! I just realized what I've been doing wrong! Isn't it wonderful to have a brain that works!

Carol
carolinamooon